QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Adderall and Shifting Teeth/Misaligned Bite?

So I used adderall/vyvanse for roughly 2 years without having any teeth issues (i didn't even know they effect the teeth until recently).

This all changed one day when i vertically cracked a wisdom tooth while chewing gum.

Now, I've always had perfect teeth, i don't mean to brag as this  is one of the only things I was blessed with.  

I also don't have dental insurnace so didn't take care of the broken wisdom tooth for months because it was so small of a crack.  Eventually the gap widened, and I opted to get a crown and rtc done on it.  This is because it started shifting the wisdom  tooth above it, shifting the rest of the teeth on top.

I hoped getting the crown would shift the top wisdom tooth back into original position but it hasn't.  MOnths later, and now my mouth feels generally uncomfortable, and in the past few weeks or so, some of my teeth have been shifting forward or back by a few milimeters.

I took a month off legal amphetamines and this seemed to stop (I didn't pay attention)  But in the last week I got back on and weird teeth issues seem to come back strong out of nowhere..  My front top and bottom teeth are literally shifting (very minutely) in real time.  Food gets stuck in these spots when it never did before.  

Overall my mouth just doesn't feel comfortable/natural, and when im' chewing sometimes my teeth clank together at an odd angle.

has anyone dealt with someone like this before?

Certain foods i can't even eat the same anymore.  (apples, steak, bananas)

I can relate. stimulants like adderall cause us to be more up tight, physically and mentally. I also think that adderall effects the saliva in the mouth and dental health as well. I know after years on adderall my bite was affected and I had to get major work done on teeth I had grinded down. At the time I didn't put the two together but now after being clean almost two years I was wondering the same thing. Before I had read your post I had already thought that adderall may have effected my bite, jaw muscles, and increases wear and tear on my teeth from grinding them. I also think it was beginning to get much worse and would have continued had I not quit. Maybe my expensive veneers are just another cost that this terrible drug has caused me. I don't know for sure, but I do think your concern is valid. This drug changes the way the body functions in many many ways. Good luck to you. Hope this helps. At least someone here can relate I guess.

• Like 1

I can relate. stimulants like adderall cause us to be more up tight, physically and mentally. I also think that adderall effects the saliva in the mouth and dental health as well. I know after years on adderall my bite was affected and I had to get major work done on teeth I had grinded down. At the time I didn't put the two together but now after being clean almost two years I was wondering the same thing. Before I had read your post I had already thought that adderall may have effected my bite, jaw muscles, and increases wear and tear on my teeth from grinding them. I also think it was beginning to get much worse and would have continued had I not quit. Maybe my expensive veneers are just another cost that this terrible drug has caused me. I don't know for sure, but I do think your concern is valid. This drug changes the way the body functions in many many ways. Good luck to you. Hope this helps. At least someone here can relate I guess.

do your veneers work just like regular teeth?

it's like when i had all my teeth perfect (before i broke the wisdom) i never had these issues, it all just snowballed after t

Agreed. This is a very common side effect of amphetamines. Grinding of the teeth and tension in the jaw, neck and head from the amphetamines. My mouth was a mess from all the teeth grinding and tension which slowly went away after I quit. Sometimes when I start to crave adderall or think about the amphetamine high I suddenly start To Nash and grind my teeth...it's an automatic response.

I find that dental insurance is not worth it.  The cost is not worth it for 50% coverage on major procedures, etc.  My opinion, of course...

I had these issues with my teeth as well.  It is common and the tension headaches and grinding do go away after you quit. 

Everything can be fixed, no worries!

• Like 1

I find that dental insurance is not worth it.  The cost is not worth it for 50% coverage on major procedures, etc.  My opinion, of course...

I had these issues with my teeth as well.  It is common and the tension headaches and grinding do go away after you quit. 

Everything can be fixed, no worries!

what about the shifting teeth though?

my teeth used to be perfect, but now they're literally shifting out of position.

my bite just feels slightly off or something.

and itoften causes me to chip my teeth.

Ever heard of MethMouth?  Drastic reduction of the gum tissue and crooked / missing teeth.  Very common among meth addicts.  I have friends who had all their (remaining) teeth pulled before they were 50 and now wear dentures.  Due, at least in part, to stimulant abuse.

Just quit now - it is your best hope for saving your smile.  Adderall is really hard on your bones and teeth.

Regarding dental insurance, I have it and am damn glad I do.  There might be some years when I don't use it, but when major work needs to be done, that 50% of the costs it does cover adds up quick.

• Like 4

i'm not sure if this recent 'shifting of teeth' and the feeling like they can be knocked out easily (the front ones are shifting, they're not even anymore like they used to be)

is from the amphetamine itself, or if my bite has become misaligned and is making me put pressure in incorrect places when i bite, causing teeth to shift.

Any Opinions?

Because i used for 2 years and never had teeth shift, or the feeling that they could be knocked out easily like this, it's like i'm afraid to do anything as fast as i used to become i'm scared they'll knock out at the slightest bump

• Like 1

I was thinking of Meth mouth, too.  But, I know that Adderall caused me to grind my teeth so badly that my jaw would ache all the time.  See a dentist and get a cleaning and a check up.  That doesn't cost too much, and it may set your mind at ease.  Or, it will give you an idea of what needs to be done.  It is a good place to start, I think.

• Like 2

l

I was thinking of Meth mouth, too.  But, I know that Adderall caused me to grind my teeth so badly that my jaw would ache all the time.  See a dentist and get a cleaning and a check up.  That doesn't cost too much, and it may set your mind at ease.  Or, it will give you an idea of what needs to be done.  It is a good place to start, I think.

thank you, my main worry is that it's some other issue caused by my teeth shifting due to not taking care of a vertically cracked molar quick enough.

All these shifting teeth and feelings of 'weak' teeth didn't happen for the first 2 years I used vyvanse/adderall, but only really started recently (after i broke a tooth)

So I looked at my gums and noticed, that they are much lower than before, especially around the teeth that I've been complaining about 'shifting'.

what causes this?  I know the vyvanse/adderall does to an extent, but this literally never happened to me for 2 years while taking it, and now if i take it for one day it happens so quick the changes happen in real time.

Can a slightly misaligned bite somehow cause your gums to erode/gum disease?

I just googled Tmj...and that is something I have. I just never knew it was called tmj...so thanks for pointing that out. Tmj happens when I open my mouth too wide, like yawning and then I get severe pain in my jaw muscles.

what you are describing does not sound like Tmj at all. Because Tmj is accompanied by great pain (a temporary pain) but it's not a big deal to me...it happens sometimes and I hate it but more annoyance than detriment.

I recommend you do some googling to find out more about what your diagnosis is. Everything is on the web now. I'm sure with enough googling u can find exactly what is going on with you.

• Like 1

I had severe TMJ problems and had to have surgery.  My jaw would actually fall out of joint while I was talking.  I chipped several teeth when this happened.  Also, I had to put my jaw in one position to bite and move it to the other position to chew.  I was like a snake, unhinging my jaw to eat!  LOL, so it does not sound like TMJ problems to me...

I know someone in his 20s who had weird problems with his jaw and gums receding and had to have two surgeries. He was healthy, no drugs or anything. It was just a weird, unlucky genetic abnormality. Looking for info about jaw problems online seems like a huge waste of time to me, when I could go see an actual dentist. We're not dentists.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...