QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Here is my story long term user dexamphetamine

ResilientCat

You may be the 1st Australian member we have ever had.  Welcome to the board. We are all here to support and be supported.  Getting off stims of any kind is very difficult as you know. Dexedrine, Ritalin, Concerta and Adderall etc are very similar as I understand it, and prescribed as ADHD stimulants and the recovery process is exactly same.  Sleeping like a cat for 18 hours a day is pretty accurate description of my 1st few months off adderall etc. 

• Like 1

Thanks ZK! It's funny I feel like I know you as I've read so many of your posts. Yeah dexamphetamine is called Dexedrine in the U.S. but it's all the same stimulating shit! Happy to represent the Aussies :) and hopefully become poster girl for the weaning method!! Might have to take a few weeks off work so I can sleep sleep sleeeeeep when I get down to zero... Eeek!

• Like 3

Be ready with your coping strategies...weight gain is hard for all of us, but particularly difficult if you have a history of an eating disorder.  You will gain weight, but don't beat yourself up.  Once you recover a while and get some motivation back, it comes off.  You can do this!  I am impressed at your ability to taper, and can't wait to see your "I QUIT today" post. 

That's awesome that you joined the forum!  I'm really happy to hear that you have a supportive partner as that will make all the difference in the world!

I had taken dexies before as a party drug, so I was like yeeeah bring it on! Thinking I will just use it for a short time to get over the bulimia addiction and then have access to a party favor I could share with my friends.

I remember when I first met a guy through a friend who basically told me he had enough extras to supply me with 300mg a month (and he sold them almost as cheap as the pharmacy did to him).  I thought the exact same thing as you.  I figured all my problems were now officially over.  Oh man... if I had only known.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your replies guys! Really appreciate it.

Always Awesome - i know you are right and that could be a tough one for me... And I work as a dietitian so that's a bit of added pressure! I've always actually had a good appetite on the meds and I eat healthy but I know I will also be less active for a while... Guess this is something I will have to come to terms with... Luckily the majority of patients I work with are elderly and have poor eyesight! ðŸ˜

Grumpycat - I know what you mean... I remember thinking I was the luckiest person in the world... Everything in life suddenly became more fun and easy! If only I'd known what a beast I was dealing with. Deep down I think I knew it was a bad idea, but I've never been good at valuing long term consequences over instant gratification!

• Like 2

I am right there with you. Congrats. For many years, I too had an eating disorder. I got over it pretty much years ago, but this winter when I got into a bad bout of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), I was hungry all the time, even with my Adderall useage. When spring and summer hit and it got lighter out, all of the sudden my appetite dwindled to near nothing, as it did the last time I was on it for three years.

I think the last time I quit, I gained roughly around five pounds. But in all truth, I kind of needed it and looked a lot healthier for it. I see pictures of myself when on Adderall and I looked good, but a bit thin. People would tell me I looked a bit thing. My skin didn't look as healthy either - kind of pale with dark circles under my eyes. Then I saw a photo of myself almost 8 months after getting off Adderall, I looked totally healthy and glowing, like I had never used it at all.

Since starting it again this January, I still look okay but I have some dark circles under my eyes.

As for food, I will try and eat smaller amounts and not too many carbs with a high glycemic load and keep exercising.

• Like 1

Hi Cat,

Thanks for your reply. I just read your other recent posts and congrats on quitting! All power to you!! Can't wait til I can say those words, although it is a scary thought after so many years... You are an inspiration to me!

I look forward to having nicer skin and hair and the healthy glow you described :) I'm sure after only 6 months back on it will come more quickly for you this time!

With food I think going easy on carbs is the key, filling up on lots of protein and veggies. The article on nutrition on this site is spot on. And I don't want to obsess over food so if that means gaining some weight then so be it! I know exercise will also be a major factor for me and so far finding it hard during the weaning stages to get motivated. I am so lazy and still on stimulants!

I did find a good video on YouTube - 30 days of yoga with Adrienne. She is awesome and funny and the sessions are only 15-30 min which I can motivate myself to actually do. Only up to day 7 and that's taken me over 2 weeks... But I can feel the difference! And I guess you gotta start somewhere!

• Like 2

Hi Cat, good to hear from you!

Yep I'm feeling very slowed down def my hardest week yet... I'm way less productive at work already which is scary! And today I had quite a few word mix ups, like I said "just wait in the dining room" instead of the "waiting room"... This is new and scared me and I actually made myself go for a walk after work to help my brain repair itself! Felt like a piece of jelly but I did it and feel better now.

And a tired feeling like my vision is hazy... Coffee def helps thank god!! But I am having trouble sleeping with anxiety from the fear of what's to come so can't have it in the afternoon at this stage. Once I cut my after lunch dose I should be able to I hope!

How are you going with tapering? My plan is still to do it really slowly so I can adjust to it as I've been on the meds for over a third of my life!! Stay in touch :) we can do it!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...