QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Are all stimulants bad?

Hi, i was just wondering if other meds like vyvanse, concerts or ritalin are as bad as adderall? I know people dont think add is real and I have managed to stay pretty much med free my whole life, become successful in my career etc without meds I DO think i have all the symptoms od ADD and i wonder if my life quality would be better if on meds. I dont really want to take adderall (i tried the regular one a while back and flushed it down the toilet after like a week on it-i notied I was looking forward to the next dose a little tooo much ) i just wanted to know if other meds are just as bad

Yeah, if it's addictive, it means it gets you high - in the beginning anyway. Once you're addicted, you're taking the drugs just to feel normal.

Amphetamines make everyone feel good, more energetic, focused, and confident. It doesn't matter if you have ADD or not.

I believe Straterra is the non-stimulant add drug option.

• Like 1

Think about caffeine, and what people go through just to quit their caffeine habits.   Coffee and other caffeine products give people a kind of "buzz" that they then get used to and "need" to feel awake and normal.   And that's a widely accepted/consumed drug that's readily available at the nearest store in multiple forms.   Let alone these EXTREMELY powerful Schedule II drugs. 

I think it's amazing that you stopped because you were looking forward to the next dose too much.  I wish I had had the self-awareness and foresight to do that.

• Like 3

I understand but do they all make you feel like you are high? Or rather do any of them work without making you feel like you're on drugs

Sadly, I have been addicted to each and every one of them. I still think of ritalin as the worst of the bunch and brought about the worst withdrawal and the most amphetamine induced psychosis. But they are all deadly addictive. At one point in my life i was taking ritalin and concerta together. And at another time in my life i was going through a bottle of vyvanese in a week. 

The answer is YES they are all extremely addictive and as life ruining as adderall. 

• Like 3

Each time I see this question as a discussion topic, I want to scream out "Fuck yes, they are ALL BAD, stay away from them!"

But my more measured and tempered response is this:  Stimulant DRUGS are bad if you become addicted to them and cannot control your use.  Some stimulants are more like food (coffee) or supplements (fish oil).  Exercise, deadlines and certain social situations can also be highly stimulating.

Blueyedgirl: the fact that you noticed you were "looking forward to the next dose a little too much" speaks volumes about your self awareness and knowledge of addiction.  Way to go by flushing the rest of your pills.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...