QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Need Advice on Stepping Down Over the Next Week or Two

DazedandConfused

I've been trying to research recommended doses for stepping down from Adderall XR (generic) over the course of only a week or two, but haven't found much information.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice about this, as I've applied to a rehab program that says the wait is 2 weeks and they want you to be off of the drug when you are admitted.  I tried seeing if I could enroll in their detox program in the mean time, but they said they don't really accept patients detoxing from Adderall.

I was planning on taking the time off of work anyway, and have a great support system at home so I figured I might as well start weaning myself off of my usual dose in the next two weeks at home. I'm prescribed one 25 mg XR pill and one 10 mg XR pill a day, but since my tolerance is so high I've been taking around two 25 mg of XR a day, each pill about 4 hours apart.  I tried quitting cold turkey before and lasted 5 days, but the depression was unbearable so I definitely don't want to do that again.  Any personal experience or advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

I agree.  5 days is not enough time to step down properly.

I say invest in a shopping buggy full of comfort food and snacks, and threw a new set of sheets on your bed.  Then quit cold turkey and lose yourself in some TV shows for a couple of days. 

Home detox.

But on another note, congratulations on your decision to quit.  It takes a lot of courage to reach out to a rehab clinic.  I bet you will learn a lot while there and have plenty of wisdom to share.  Hope we see you around lots in the future!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I generally really respect my brain and the changes and adjustments it has to go through when taking away a strong substance such as Adderall. I started taping a few months ago, I think. I was at around 20-30 mg and now down to 2.5. Even small decreases hit me and I believe we may be reacting to prior decreases a few steps back, which is why I take it slow. this site has a good article on Tapering. I sort of follow that. I take L-Tyrosine and use an Alpha-Stim machine. I had forgotten to use it, was having a terrible time with brain fog and depression yesterday, used it, and felt much better. I plan to stay at 2.5 for two weeks and then cut that even in half and then go to nothing.