QuittingAdderall.com Forums

i think im ready to *quit*

SleepyStupid

hi friends,

i think i'm finally ready to truly quit :/ ive been an addict for ~6 years, almost all of which binge useage. its been getting bad recently- bad like people asking me "are you okay?" every so often. you know when you think you're pulling it off, no one can tell? i have no idea how long ive been lying to myself about that.

my binging has become 2 weeks on 2 weeks off till i get my refill. i think usually when i get my refill, im generally awake for 3 or 4 days straight, sometimes 5. then 1 day of rest and 3-4 again. its just become a thing im used to. im very lucky to have a decent job at a small company where the management treats me like their own kid. they know about my "condition" so i get away with a lot of crap like showing up late. also, im really good at what i do, but i know even that is nothing compared to what i might be capable of if i weren't geeked out all the time. im tired of living my life, waiting to be "on" in order to live it. i want to be healthy again- its been so damn long i dont remember what it feels like to be "alive", in shape.. 

i started dating this girl recently, and its been a very long time. ive been very lonely after losing the love of my life 2 years ago- and i really dont want to screw this up. i caught myself being tweaked out on the phone with her (she couldnt tell, i dont think) and it scared the shit out of me. i dont want to screw this up. 

anyway, im on day 4. the 2 weeks that im off adderall, it's actually not terrible. i think ive been doing this for so long that i dont get hit with any kind of crippling depression or anything. what im most afraid of is learning to live and have motivation to do things again. i know that within 2-3 weeks, im basically "okay" but ive always been waiting for the refill. i'm a musician and writer but even writing this now is hard.. 

thanks for reading >_<

Ohhhh, I know your routine well. Stick with it and you'll see that you can manage to happily live life without adderall, and a productive life at that. I'm just a little over 3 months clean, and I don't regret quitting. I was on a bad downward spiral, and it had to be done. Give yourself lots of rest, yummy food, and be patient. Good job quitting!!

• Like 2

I was on aprox 250mg a day for about 15 years. I was very deep into addiction. My recovery has been tough, but doable. Exercise, rest, food, and sleep have been very healing. I also take Wellbutrin, which had really helped. The constant fatigue and brain fog have definitely gotten better at this point, as well as the constant appetite. I'm taking one day at a time, but I'm doing great. The first month wasn't fun at all for me.

congratulations on your 3 months! ive been at about 120+mg a day, but being awake 4 days at a time you kind of lose track of things. in fact its more like you dont want to keep track of how much youve taken because knowing makes it more real than you want.. 

im also prescribed Wellbutrin 150mg extended release. truthfully, ive never felt its effects because the adderall would cause such extreme highs and lows. i was considering asking my pdoc to raise the wellbutrin dose, but im still kind of scared to tell her about quitting adderall. i know that in the end this is the final commitment to it, and this is what i want, but it still feels so difficult.. 

your usage was the same as mine.  That's no way to live.  Proud of you for deciding to walk away finally

I agree that telling your doctor is a crucial step.  You've wired your brain to be like a two-week-ticking-time-bomb.

Quitting through willpower alone will feel impossible after a few months.  I relapsed after this long several times because I failed to commit fully and cut off my sources for good.

That pattern gets burnt into the skull so easily without realizing it.

• Like 1

you're right, i will definitely tell my therapist i want be off adderall, but i dont think i have the nerves to reveal that it is due to abuse. ive talked to her before about how adderall had affected the way i was in my previous relationship and she knows how devastating that was for me. im going to tell her i want off to ensure this new relationship doesnt start the wrong way. this is actually entirely true and what has finally spurred me to get off this stuff for good.

the first time i tried to quit, i actually got drawn back in because her office called and said i hadn't been in for an appointment for a while (silly how one little phone call can change everything..). id like to continue on the Wellbutrin and continue seeing her for therapy, hopefully with enough time i can be weened off that as well. 

now the next big push is getting myself to start working out- there are also some health related things i need to see a primary care for, im so ashamed of the things ive let happen- to my life, to my body, to my health. adderall cost me my master's degree, and i only had a few credits left to complete. ive neglected hygiene and health for so long, its all so overwhelming to start.

what im most scared about is that i fear ive always been "lazy" or unmotivated. i certainly remember a time before adderall that i was HAPPIER, but that was also before i truly became an adult. i dont think ive  ever lived a successful adult life off of adderall. basic daily routines that most people have, i dont- cleaning my room, doing laundry, basic chores.. i buy food everyday because im too lazy to cook meals..  :( 

Hey there, welcome!  I echo the idea of raising your wellbutrin dosage and telling your dr. that you want to never be prescribed adderall ever again.

For people who abuse the stuff and run out early every month, cutting off your suppliers is the only way to make sure you quit for good.  I didn't quit until I was cut off, and I know that's true of a lot of people.

Probably the reason you are only prescribed 150 mg of wellbutrin is because with adderall in the mix, it's a dangerous seizure-provoking combo.   300mg is the standard dosage.  I started it at 6 months after quitting and it's helped ENORMOUSLY.

Give it time! :)  You'll gradually have your adderall-free life together and it will be so much more beautiful than you can possibly imagine right now.  :) :)  

• Like 3

I ran out early every month, then went through the crash/withdrawal.

One of the troubling parts about this process is the way the crash made me feel like I was becoming not-addicted anymore, when in reality the crash itself was part of the addictive ritual that I was creating and strengthening each time I followed the pattern.

you're right, i will definitely tell my therapist i want be off adderall, but i dont think i have the nerves to reveal that it is due to abuse

Then what's to stop you from changing your mind when you get tempted later and forget how bad it really was?

There is NOTHING to be ashamed of in admitting the abuse.  The doctor will understand and not judge you.

And if he judges you, fuck him!   It's not worth delaying your recovery over.

• Like 1

One of the troubling parts about this process is the way the crash made me feel like I was becoming not-addicted anymore, when in reality the crash itself was part of the addictive ritual that I was creating and strengthening each time I followed the pattern.

this really resonates with me- 7 days out, i dont feel addicted or too terrible aside from low energy and being tired all the time.. but you make a good point that the real challenge begins AFTER the 2 week point.. >_<

im already starting to notice certain types of triggers.. the shaking of a pill container, the sound makes me feel kinda funny. i remember when trying to quit before, id getting the drug dreams.. those are the worst. id really like to avoid as many triggers as possible, but its hard to identify those situations or events.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?"  Marianne Williamson

wow, i love this quote!! its absolutely true- if i didnt believe that there was great power or talent within me, i might be okay to just fade into nothing and depression. my deepest fear is that i will never get as close to that power as i have while on adderall

but i trust everyone's words, that  this will come back in time.. (:

• Like 2

you will surpass it tenfold.  you were not as great on adderall as you thought you were

you're right, i know adderall creates the illusion of grandeur and ability, but it also gives you motivation and energy to actually do things and pursue your dreams. but maybe that's indicative of an underlying problem to begin with. as far back as i can remember, ive always been self medicating one way or another. first it was videogames, then i was a habitual weed smoker, etc. 

it sucks having an addictive personality  :mad:

• Like 1

My quote button is broken.  Back in post #9 of this thread you said you plan to continue seeing the therapist who caused your last relapse.  Does she promote the use of Adderall?  She might be a bad influence and too easy of a source of pills when you start second-guessing your Quit.  If you don't want to admit you abuse Adderall to her, then give her a bullshit story you had an allergic reaction and got deathly ill and can't take them anymore.  Or find another shrink. 

• Like 3

My quote button is broken.  Back in post #9 of this thread you said you plan to continue seeing the therapist who caused your last relapse.  Does she promote the use of Adderall?  She might be a bad influence and too easy of a source of pills when you start second-guessing your Quit.  If you don't want to admit you abuse Adderall to her, then give her a bullshit story you had an allergic reaction and got deathly ill and can't take them anymore.  Or find another shrink.

this is a possibility I hadnt considered, but I can certainly see her trying to taper me but I know cold turkey is my only option in reality.

• 3 weeks later...

today is my first pdoc appointment since quitting. im a bit nervous, but thankfully have not had any second thoughts or temptations these past 3 weeks! the thought of admitting my abuse is still too much for me, but i will be telling her ive been off my meds for weeks, i feel fine, and i will *NOT* be walking out with an adderall prescription today.

i am an addict and a binge user- there is no moderation for me, there is no therapeutic value left for me to go back to.  i want to thank everyone again for the support- this place is so essential for being a constant reminder of all the terrible things i will never put myself or anyone else through ever again. (: 

the temptation hit me full force as i was on the way to her office. its scary how you can have such resolve but when your trigger hits, your mind is just flooded with vicious thoughts. she did end up raising my wellbutrin dosage a bit, up to 200mg XR. as much as i want to attribute this victory to will power, i feel that the wellbutrin has leveled me off enough to resist temptation. i think eventually i would like to ween myself off that, but for the time being im okay with just smashing my speed addiction. 

(: