QuittingAdderall.com Forums

What keeps you motivated to stay sober?

idonttan

Hey guys, I've been having a very rough time lately, staying focused and trying to stop romanticizing my former Adderall use. Despite my 3 month sobriety from it, my job is becoming extremely stressful and tiring, on top of me being an already lazy person, that I keep trying to reason with myself about taking some every now and then.. for just this day, or for just this week or month. But I know that is a horrific relapse waiting to happen again, and I do not want to deal with the lack of energy and the increase in appetite again, especially at a time when there are no vacation days coming up.

So I decided to come on here and hear what helps to keep you guys motivated and away from that junk pill? I think this kind of thread might have been started already.. but maybe it wouldn't hurt to start another one, again?

For me, one of the biggest motivators was the severe hair loss and dandruff that I experienced, which made me wonder if I will be completely bald in a few years, if I continued taking this stuff. Also exercise had always been my go-to stress reliever, but when taking Adderall, I barely had any energy to exercise and lost all muscle, endurance and strengthen. I also stopped caring about other people completely, and this caused me to get into a lot of fights, both in my personal and work life.

Let me know what helps to keep you guys clean, I can really use some words of wisdom right now.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat thinking everyday about getting more too. What I do is just remember all the ridiculous fear associated with the pill and then I feel so good just being normal. You don't have to think in terms of like "I'm quitting forever". Just take it one day at a time. Those pills did help me a whole lot for a while but as you know it can get crazy and counter productive. Just do little things to help like go for a bike ride or look at old childhood pictures before you were on it to remember the old you. 

i think the biggest thing for me is not ruining my love life- im seeing someone new and i dont want to ruin this and be alone. adderall makes you alone. 

another thing is having a stable mood and consistency with life. i hated swinging back and forth, never knowing when id have energy or be in the mood to just do normal things or live my life. 

• Like 1

for me it's the gym.  i will screw up everything i've worked for if I binge for a couple days (which is exactly what I would do if i got my hands on some)

this is how i stay away from weed too, because I want to run and play racket sports and basketball etc.  I don't want to be an antisocial hermit smoking pot in my apartment by myself, texting people to cancel prior engagements and games.  I've been fighting with myself tooth and nail (going through some very miserable times) for every inch of improvement and it can all be flushed down the toilet by a relapse.

• Like 1

Stay checking this site. For me, the loss of strength and overall the way it wrecked my metabolism. I'm hoping that in time with my recovery that some of that will return.

I've had those thoughts too like just 1 pill. Just today. But I know I would slide right back in to using it and lose everything I've worked for in this recovery and ultimately have to start over.

Now I enjoy life more. I may not get everything done. My house is messier but I can appreciate the little things like a sunset or listening to the rain now without feeling like I should be being productive.

• Like 2

Now I enjoy life more. I may not get everything done. My house is messier but I can appreciate the little things like a sunset or listening to the rain now without feeling like I should be being productive.

on adderall i couldn't watch movies, TV, *listen* to music.. couldn't put my phone down for even a minute because i was always trying to be productive.