QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Who lives with an Adderall user—and how do you deal?

AmytheCatLover

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here lives with someone who takes a prescription for ADHD, and how you deal with having it in the house? Do they keep it locked up, or have you found any other strategies to help?

Why I ask: 

My husband has severe ADHD and takes Adderall. It's the only Rx that's worked for him. He doesn't abuse it and takes it as prescribed, but it's still hard having it in the house. He locks it up... but sometimes forgets; I also don't want that to be a long-term solution.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who is in this predicament.

that's a tough one.. im assuming because it's locked up he knows about your past abuse? of course, it may also help if he did a weekly count of his medication, if he takes it as prescribed then there will be an obvious difference in count. unfortunately, all these techniques are simply safeguards- only time will fix the real issue of temptation. 

perhaps asking him to take his medication out of sight might help, not to talk about it or ever mention it? at the end of the day this is going to be your battle more than his. 

counting the pills is a good idea, but i'd say have a talk with him and make it clear that forgetting is to lock them up NOT an option for you and the consequences could be a disaster.

he can make it a habit to keep them in the safe.  like, unlocking and locking should become part of his process (like unlocking your keys before starting your car, it just happens without fail).

i dunno how hard that will be.  but its a really tough situation for you to be in