QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Quitting, Pregnant, New Job. FML

TheStruggleIsReal

I had posted before about my quitting journey....today just threw me for a whole new set of curve balls. As of today, i'm pregnant and starting a new job in 2 weeks after being unemployed for 7 months.  

I have been taking adderall as needed and reduced it to about 10-20 mg from 30-60/day. Plus taking ambien to sleep. I am severely stressing out about not being able to take adderall for my new job. I'm going to be working at a start-up...it's going to be a lot of demanding work for a while to come. 

The stress and anxiety from not being able to take adderall reaffirms that my addiction is still very real despite my progress. The good news is that my addiction isn't strong enough to even consider taking it while i'm pregnant. 

I had been working really hard on getting rid of my adderall weight gain of 12 pounds and the thought of gaining weight on top of this is also adding to my stress. It's all very frustrating...especially considering I wasn't exactly planning on getting pregnant anytime soon. 

Has anybody gone through something similar and can offer reassurance or advice about quitting and working and/or being pregnant and having to quit? I don't have a lot of people I can talk to about my situation let alone people that can relate. 

Thanks!

I've never been pregnant, but please do not worry about the weight gain! My mother, along with other females, have all told me that once they started breastfeeding, they were burning off calories like a mad person.

The good news about starting a new job is that you're a lot more motivated to get work done and impress your boss/co-workers, than at a job that you've been doing for years.

I'm very glad to hear that you're not even considering taking it while pregnant. All these prescriptions are bound to have a negative impact on the development of your child. Congrats on your progress so far! If you've managed to move this far forward, you can keep going!

• Like 1

Wish I could offer advice, but I have never been pregnant.

I will say that at least now you will have 9 months under your belt of clean time.  Hopefully, you'll feel better once off the pills and be able to adjust to life without them anymore during this time period.  

You can do it!

Also, I would focus on just staying off the adderall.  I know the weight gain SUCKS and it's why I always relapsed, but I promise you down the road it will get so much easier to figure out a plan that works for you.  Don't let that be more important than quitting.  Quitting needs to be #1 and worrying about weight loss later on down the road. 

You're having a baby!!!  That's so exciting!!!  Congratulations!!

• Like 1

I'm really glad you are not going to take adderall while pregnant.  Honestly from what I hear there are so many positive precious emotions that go along with being pregnant that really help you bond with your child.  You wouldn't want to miss out on those.

PLEASE don't worry about weight gain right now.  It's secondary to all the other important things right now; first and foremost the health of you and your child.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this hit close to home. I'm currently taking 30mg once a day, have been for years and years. I'm also wondering if I could be pregnant. have to wait a few more days to test, but the thought of quitting ad forever is crazy scary, as I wouldn't take it if I were pregnant.. and if I am, I will be moving to be with the dad... so this post is a little close to home for me right now.

How are you doing? How are you feeling???

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A long overdue update. I miscarried about 7 weeks in back in December.  While I have no idea why, it does make me wonder if adderall had something to do with it. I will never know the answer to that, but my anger/anxiety/emotions were so high during that time that something had to be off from the start. But it was a sense of relief and a wake up call. 

Despite that...I ended up taking it again to perform well in my new job. I got stuck in the adderall cycle. Taking it, increasingly taking more, and more frequently. Eventually, it seemingly burnt out my adrenals which I feel is contributing to my hormonal imbalance 6 months post miscarriage. 

I came to the realization that I don't like my new job and don't want it to be long term. So as of this week I quit...again. 

Starting from scratch now. Supplements and coffee are helping. This week has been rough, but I oddly feel a lot better already. 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I took a preg test in December and one came out positive. I was more scared of not being able to take addy anymore than that fact that I was pregnant and in a crazy situation.

Long story short, it must of been a false positive.

But that was a wake up call for me. So I started tapering down in January. I want to be able to maybe have a family one day, and you can't do that while you're on this poison.

Hopefully the both of us will have a healthy family when we're both healed and the time is right.

Hugs to you xoxo

Thank you @smhjen 

I can relate to your experience as well. That extreme fear of not being able to take it certainly helps you realize that you are more addicted than you think. I was also so fearful about weight gain, and while I was only pregnant a short while, ironically I lost 5 pounds. The stress that took away my appetite was definitely a factor, but cutting out alcohol and being mindful of NOT gaining weight also helped. That too gave me confidence that I can do it!

Being able to start a healthy family is a good motivating factor to stop and is also helping quite a bit. 

Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry to hear. I'll keep you in my prayers!

I quit the moment I found out I was pregnant and it's been the hardest thing to live through. If I had lost my baby I have no doubt I would have ran out to get my script the moment I could.

I wish you the best of luck - you can do it!!! :)

• 10 months later...

I've planned to stop using ritalin before getting married/going off the pill in June. The nice thing about trying to get pregnant is that it really gives you NO CHOICE when it comes to putting drugs in your body. Nothing means more than your baby. I cut off the source, told my psych I'd be going off the pill and now there's no way I can get ADHD medication prescribed. I'm looking forward to embracing my former, more fun and less machine-like self. I hope it's an exciting journey for you.

And how beautiful and amazing and wonderful to carry a child into the world! Who cares about Adderall? Who cares about gaining weight?! You're going to be a mother :-)