QuittingAdderall.com Forums

WOW, was I ever tempted...

AlwaysAwesome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would like to chime in here with some details because it's an interesting phenomenon how the brain gradually recovers, and although I hate that I relapsed it gave me some valuable insight.

From my timeline over the past year I have learned the following:

If I have access to pills and I've been clean for less than 1 month, I won't even be able to stash them let alone throw them out.

Like I could be sitting at my desk thinking to myself concentrating on how much destruction it is going to cause to my life, and still not be able to resist.  Gotta work tomorrow? Who cares, let's pull an all nighter.  I'll call in sick or just go into work on no sleep tweaked right out.  People will be able to tell that I looks like a haggard zombie?  Fuck em what do they know.

If I've been clean for 2 months or so, I'll be able to resist maybe a day or two, then a binge is gonna inevitably happen.

For between 3-6 months, I don't know what would have happened.  There were definitely times when I was vulnerable and there were times when I was feeling strong, but my willpower fluctuated.  I didn't any have any opportunities thought, so I wasn't tested.

After 8 months, the temptation was there, and I was in a few dangerous situations where I had opportunities but I was able to wise up and see how stupid it would be.

Around the 10 month mark, when I relapsed last year, I caved because I was arrogant.  Not because I was unable to resist.  I literally and truly believed that I was "healed" and I could control it this time.  This is not meant to be an excuse, just an observation of what was going on in my head.  I had never been clean for this long so I had no prior information.  

Ultimately I failed to plan ahead and protect myself from temptation before I was tempted.  If you wait until you you are tempted, it's too late.

Point being, somewhere around the 1 year mark, I think brain function (particularly the part that looks at a situation) must be back to strong enough so that you can at least reason and think like a non-addict, and make choices according to your judgement.

ISuvived and AlwaysAwesome: I think you guys made the right choice because you earned the ability to do so through perseverance and hard work during your clean time.  During your recovery you rebuilt your frontal lobe (or whatever part of your brain controls decision making in the face of optional instant gratification vs long term consequences).  This isn't scientific obviously I'm just venting my gut thoughts here.

On one hand it's really terrifying how when you're in the thick of the craziness, you can sit there and think "man, this pill will burn my life down, like, this is literally brain poison and is going to totally fuck me up and everything I hold dear".  Then 5 seconds later you can shrug it off and toss it down the hatch like you don't give a shit.

On the other and it's really nice to know that you can recover from this (not from being addicted) but at least from such casual disregard for life-threatening danger.  So thanks for being inspiring! :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the timeline!  I have never been clean from Adderall this long.  Actually, never longer than a few weeks before the weight would creep up and I would run to the doc.  So, everyday has been new and exciting.  I think it is good for people to understand that there is no safe time to be around Adderall.  At no point in your life will you be able to "handle" taking a pill.  We are addicts.  Total avoidance is the only way forward. 

You inspire me, too GrumpyCat!  I am amazed at your ability to relapse and still come back and honestly share the journey with others.  Bravery.  You will do it this time, I just know it!

BTW, I am about 10 pounds from where I was when I quit.  I can't believe I have lost 30 pounds!!!  Motivation does return, thank goodness!

• Like 3