QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Anyone smoke weed?

Bak2me

yes, well i used to. I didn't want to be known as "the stoner kid" or "the pothead" so i stopped.  I think weed is pretty safe.Truth is, i should have only stuck with weed and avoided pills. weed is definitely a good tool to recover. Occasional alcohol use is fine too. just stick with things that don't really impair the brain. 

• Like 1

Thanx, I feel u there, but, while weed dose not make me wanna do dishes, lol, for ME, I feel it, at LEAST gives me enough give a shit to wanna play guitar again, or draw, which, while i admit, that's NOT a very productive virtue, the desire to do ANYTHING is a welcome relief. For instance, right (now;), I actually FEEL like typing this. I stumbled back across this site yesterday, for the first time in years. I enjoyed reading some of your posts, but just couldn't put forth the effort to update and post. I think I'll do that now;)

AlwaysAwesome, where have u been? That is so encouraging, as I'm SO frustrated. I haven't set my lil meter thing on here yet, but the 25th would've been 4 mos off Addys, but I slipped up a couple days ago. My husband works outta town n was comin in for the weekend, and EVERYTHING was a mess, but mainly I slipped, I think, because my mother n law, whom has never lost faith in me is losing it with my getting behind on everything. She's wonderful. She helps me clean my house. Strangely, I'm quite productive around her. We talk n fold clothes. But I think even she's beginning to doubt if I'll bounce back. I'm 39, type 2 diabetic, overweight. I know I've gotta do something, but don't know where to start. Glad u said I needed to push myself tho as I've been hoping something would change to make me WANT to, but I guess that's what I'd been used to, with the Addys, huh? (60-90 mlg. Daily, for the past 10 Yrs.)

You can do it!  Take a look at this www.wheatbellyblog.com I quit all things wheat, grain, and sugar.  I feel amazing.  I am 38 years old and I lost 6.6 pounds last week.  You can reverse type 2 diabetes with diet.  I am going to get this damn Adderall weight off, and I am going to clean out my garage!  LOL, well, I am going to try...  Don't think the pill will help you long term.  Once you get off of it, your metabolism is shot for a long time.  It took me 16 months to even get motivated to exercise, and 18 months to actually do it.  I have been rocking it this month, and I am so glad that I found exercise again.  It was exercise just taking the clothes off of the treadmill!  Show your Mom in law some of the articles on this site.  It helps to have support, but only you can do this. 

• Like 1

This morning I had two breakfast sausages and a bit of Colby jack cheese.  I usually have a boiled egg with it, but I don't have any made up.  I drink water all day, and coffee with half and half, no sugar.  For lunch, I had two nitrate and gluten free hotdogs (Oscar mayer) with cheese and mustard, and some broccoli with bleu cheese dressing.  For dinner last night I had 12 grilled chicken nuggets from ChicfilA.  Super yummy.  Basically, meat, cheese, butter, veggies (no potatoes or corn), and maybe 1 fruit serving per day.  Less than 50 total grams of carbs per day.  It is fun to have something to obsess over other than the Adderall.  :)

It is a great diet, but you have to get through the initial sugar and wheat withdrawal.  I recommend quitting one first, then the other.  If you try to quit both at the same time, you will be impossible to be around for at least a week.  Good luck and you can message me if you have any questions.  You can google "wheat belly approved food list" and it will give you a great guideline.

• 1 month later...

I've been smoking a bit.  I quit nearly 11 years of 30-60mgs of adderall cold turkey three months ago.  About three weeks ago  I caved and  started taking 20mgs daily because the withdrawal was so debilitating.  I'm down to 5-15mg per day and it still pretty much sucks.  Just not as bad as cold turkey.  

I feel the dopamine rush of smoking in a way I didn't necessarily feel it when I smoked on adderall.  Smoking helps me feel a bit more at peace with the larger picture.  Ie this is going to take time, every minute counts, it's better to be sitting here staring at a tree than out making a mess, at least I'm not obsessively purchasing throw pillows, yada yada. 

I try not to smoke during the day just because I feel at this point getting through the day without binging on adderall has to be its own accomplishment for me, personally.  Smoking is my, ok, you did it, now what?...  philosophical reward of sorts.  Part of an overall depressing dynamic, but this is where I'm at.  Just really, really trying to accept the moment and embrace the little rewards for making it through.

I agree wholeheartedly however, with the posters who have talked about the sugar/wheat issues.  I find any sugar/wheat I consume post adderall at least seems to turn directly into fat.  Fat exacerbates the massive fatigue and self hatred.  So like many I'm doing the best I can to scrape together a healthy eating regimen despite the fact that I care about next to nothing.  Cooking is actually quite soothing despite how depressing it is.  Depressing because who cares?  But soothing because if I'm not cooking I'm going to eat like crap WHILE doing absolutely nothing productive which then equals feeling like way more crap. 

So that's my compromise.  Self, you can smoke a little weed.  You can drink a little wine.  You must continue on your adderall withdrawal journey.  And you cannot eat wheat or sugar until you care seriously about something beyond getting through the day.  

• Like 1

i'm a little late coming into this thread.  

But yes I smoked a lot of weed during early (first few months) recovery.  no it doesnt help with motivation but it helps you just have something to look forward to and is much better for you than drinking (at least I think)

since my relapse happened, I went back to weed to use it to help me get through the hard part.  but I have pretty much kicked it now.  it's a terrible habit honestly, but if it helps it helps.  and fortunateley it is just that.  a habit.  it's not really addictive.

I was a heavy weed smoker for 12 years.  when I quit cold turkey, I had a few days of absolute misery and then boom, it was over, just like that.  no withdrawals nothing.  it's just a habit which is harmless in comparison to stimulants.  so if it helps you I say go for it just don't let the cops catch you with it! (obviously)

Again, this is way late but I can't resist chiming in here because I am pretty obsessed with nutrition and diets:

I am on a LCHF diet, I suppose.  I have to limit carbs so that my body doesn't make small particle lipids.  It is like Atkins, but with vegetables.  I am lacto-ovo Paleo...lol.

The Atkins diet (which is one of the most well known LCHF diets) demands that you have a VERY large vegetable intake.  Atkins diet is often misunderstood and confused with it's "induction phase" (critics of the Atkins program like to perpetuate this confusion, go figure) during which participants are encouraged to consume lots of fatty meats like bacon, sausage, steak, cheese, and everything has a lot of butter.  It's not lifestyle that is sustainable as it causes quite a bit of wear and tear on your organs and digestive system, instead it's meant to kickstart your metabolism into burning fat, and is to be used as a transitional tool to get yourself into the program.  Nobody is intended to stay in that phase for very long.

But that aside, I think paleo (and pretty much all of the variations that I've read about) is the way to go anyway.  It is the way we were meant to eat, and our bodies run so much better on it.  So I think you are doing the right thing.  I've tried Atkins in the past and I just couldn't handle the side-effects of  being in a ketogenic state (when your body burns fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates).

• Like 2