QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Misdiagnosed: Adolescence to Adulthood on Amphetamines

Lyoung614

I don't know where to begin.

My name is Lauren. I'm 25.
Columbus, OH.

A timeline for the past decade soon to come. 

I was first prescribed 30mg of Adderall in November 2004. Within 6 months I was snorting it and buying it off the street. Within a year my therapist told my psychiatrist (in the same practice) that I was abusing Adderall so he then took me off of it and put me on Concerta. 

Within a year I suggested I go back on Adderall and to my surprise, my doctor was fine with it! He decided he wanted me to try 70mg of Vyvanse first. Then soon after, added an Adderall prescription as well. 

I have grown up on amphetamines.

I don't know who I am without speed.

I will do almost anything to get the pills & to think of how fucked up my brain in now, is very scary.

I don't know where to go from here, but advice and suggestions on alternative medicine/therapies to quitting amphetamines and getting more dopamine would be MUCH APPRECIATED  <3

• Like 1

Lauren,

I've been listening to a good book today called, "This Naked Mind."  She did rip off some material from other books and I find that annoying, but she has a lot facts and statistical data to back up her points about alcohol that the other books did not have.  Anyhow, the points she and others make against the case for alcohol can be used in the same manner for adderall.  IF we can change our warped perspective that we are getting benefits from alcohol/adderall and see them as the actual addictive poisons that they are, we can help rid ourselves of the belief that we are being deprived of not taking them.  I know it feels scary to stop taking this drug that you've grown up on, but maybe try to change your perspective.  For example, "Wow, I can't wait to be rid of this toxic poison that has stunted my growth for almost half of my life and discover the awesome person I am underneath!  How great will it be to no longer be addicted, enslaved, and have all the natural energy back I had prior to taking this drug?!  How awesome will it be for all of these nasty side effects to go away and feel healthy and naturally good again.  All these other people have recovered and look how much better they're doing without it!

Ok, now step 2 would be coming up with a plan to quit.  Decide if you want to taper or go cold turkey.  This is completely up to you.  There are lots of good articles Mike has posted the site about how to do either one.  It helps to have social support so you can join the 30 day challenge and post your progress on the site.  If you want face to face support, there are local meetings in the area.  I actually go to a Smart Recovery meeting on Monday nights.  Would love to meet you there if you're interested. :)  It's usually about 8-9 people.  It's a good group.  Very supportive.

Just glad you are here and wishing you the best on your journey.  It really doesn't have to be painful at all.  Life is so much easier once you're free.  You get so much extra time to do anything and all you ever wanted.  You can become whoever you want to be and really get to know yourself inside and out.  You don't have to lie or hide anything from anyone.  You get to have the monkey off your back and get yourself healthy mentally and physically.  It's a gift and pleasure to be free and out of this mess. 

Wishing you the best!

• Like 3