QuittingAdderall.com Forums

No more diet coke or adderall-vyvanse!!

anewlife4me2

I have/had a terrible addiction to diet coke (I drink it from morning til I go to bed) and I have been off and on adhd meds for years...this last go round has been for about 6 years... I was on a downward spiral a few months ago...waking up, popping the vyvanse in my mouth, having energy for a couple of hours then I would just feel exhausted, fuzzy thinking, forgetful.  I was completely miserable but yet could not wait to get up and pop that pill every morning.  If I would not get my prescription from the doc in time and had to go the weekend without my vyvanse I was in a complete panic and rush to find a friend that had some that I could borrow.  This adhd med had control of my entire life and I was terrified bc I knew that it was slowly killing me.

At the end of last year I had some blood work and a hair analysis done then spoke to someone once the results came in.  I also had to fill out paperwork stating the meds that I was currently on.  During the consult I was made aware of how caffeine and adhd meds deplete magnesium, potassium, etc and take a toll on the adrenal glands.  I decided to start supplementing as directed.  In January I held my nose and jumped in...I had my last diet coke on Jan 18, 2016.  On Jan. 28 I had my last vyvanse.  Welcome to HELL!!!

I crashed.  slept.  had anxiety attacks.  bouts of sadness and depression.  What I can say that I think  helped me through so far is taking magnesium baths.  I was told to start off slowly and did.  1 cup of plain epsom salt and 1/2 cup of baking soda mixed in a tub of warm-hot water.  I was to soak for 20 minutes, twice a week.  Every couple of weeks I added more epsom salt and baking soda to the point to where I am now taking a hot bath in 2 cups of epsom salt and one cup of baking soda..I do this now 2-3 times a week, I sleep well and it helps to  take the edge off.  THIS HELPS TO KEEP ME SANE!!

***My biggest and scariest issue as of now as I can NOT stop eating and I am gaining weight.  Since stopping the two mentioned I have gained 10 lbs to an already fat body and I am depressed and worried.  What can I expect?  Does this need and desire to eat all day stop?  Thanks for reading :) Prayers for all of us.

The desire to eat constantly does go away, but it takes a while for your metabolism to recover enough to start losing the weight.  The best advice I can give is to get active as soon as you feel like you can stand it.  Go for walks, do a few jumping jacks.  Good luck with that though...it took me over 10 months to feel like I wanted to exercise and longer than that to actually do it.  Good news is, the weight will come off eventually.   Let yourself heal, don't go back to the Adderall, and worry about the weight in a few months.  Try to limit the carbs while you are recovering, too.  I know it is easier said than done.  I craved carbs constantly in the beginning of my quit.  I gained 40 pounds in the first 4 months after I quit.  I am within 5  pounds of my pre quit weight.  Finally.  But, I am 25 pounds from my ideal weight.  I had started gaining even with the Adderall.  It happens eventually.  Might as well quit while you are young and it is easier to rebuild your metabolism. 

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

im drinking some right now.

but yeah that diet coke habit sounds awful, not just for the caffeine, but all the other things that are in pop (especially zero calorie diet pop)

you'll probably sleep so much better once you adapt to not having it anymore (at least as much)