QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Help/guidance for son on Adderall

Wellness2016

Hi everyone,

I found this site by googling "hearing voices on Adderall" and found a forum that could have been written by my son, himself.

Long story short, my son started taking Adderall about 3 years ago, in college. We noticed the change in him immediately and it only got worse over the years. He became withdrawn, weight loss, moody, lack of sleep, short tempered, etc...

This Christmas break was even worse. He wasn't sleeping, drinking multiple energy drinks daily, smoking cigarettes, eating a lot of sugary foods, smoking pot and I found a bottle of vodka behind his bed. I begged him to stay, but he insisted on returning to college, only to return 1.5 weeks later saying he had doctor's appointments.

While home this time, he texted his sister at 2am saying very odd things. She called me frantic and crying, so we went and checked on him. He told us this story that he believes his ex-girlfriend and her friends were breaking into his apartment and putting microchips in his ears and phone to spy on him while he was asleep. He also said he was hearing voices that sometimes tell him to commit suicide to make it all stop.

I was scared, so I called the police who came and talked to him for an hour. He told them the same story, but not the suicide part, so they left. The next night he was leaving to go back to college, so I called the police again to stop him, so I could talk to him. They pulled him over and made him come home. My son told this officer the same story about the voices and such, but not the suicide, but this officer was concerned enough that he made him go to the hospital for an evaluation. He spent 4 days here being pumped full of other medications that only caused their own issues, but he was off the Adderall. He was diagnosed with Adderall Psychosis. He looked and acted better for a few weeks and looked and acted better, joking around with us and started smiling again. He left to go back to college and went back on Adderall.

He came home early March saying he was taking only two classes as independent study from home. He said he was taking half the Adderall dosage. Although, he didn't look as good as he did, he was in a much better place then he was. He was eating good, sleeping some, but not happy and smiling.

This week, not good. Not sleeping, in and out of the house all night/day, and last night, I saw him laughing to himself twice for no apparent reason.

He isn't speaking to my husband, but for no apparent reason. He will leave the room if my husband comes in, but will speak to him if my husband speaks first.

I printed the story I read on the forum from Sublime and want to show him, but wanted some input first. I am not sure how to go about this and need your guidance from those who have been there and what worked/didn't work for you.

I have read a few stories on this site of the people who have been on this road and recovered successfully. I know he can do the same. He has a supportive family that will help him every step of the way.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 2

im very sorry to hear that you're going through this. it must be frightening to see these changes in your son, because you know who he really is and how he was. the problem is.. he probably does not realize (or is in denial) about the extent to which Adderall has changed him. after being on the medication for a long enough time, your "normal" becomes the manic state and when you're off the Adderall you're in depressive state. you forget who you were before, now you're just high or not high. 

does the doctor prescribing him adderall know of the hospitalization and psychosis? if your son is abusing (which he likely is given the paranoia and insomnia), he will not risk jeopardizing his supply and being cut off by reporting this. i would certainly recommend talking to him first about your concerns, but reaching out to his doctor and alerting him/her of this might be necessary. 

i think it's a great idea to have him read some of the stories you've found here and elsewhere. as cliche as it may sound, he has to *want* to quit. in my experience, it took fearing for my physical health to finally quit but sometimes that can be too late. perhaps an intervention may be in order? even if it doesn't lead immediately to him quitting, at the least a seed will be planted. 

• Like 2

Hi. Yes, it is frightening and that week was the worst week of my life. I'm on this board looking for guidance in how to help him better. He has changed so much since being on this, but you're right, he doesn't see it.

I have never gone to his doctor about it but have thought about it briefly. Unless he really wants to quit, he will either go find another doctor to prescribe it or two resort to some street drug. Neither are good options, so I have never do it and don't think I will. I don't know if the hospital sent over paperwork though. Really not sure.

Actually, I just saw him and gave him the print outs of the forum and some other statements I found on here of people who are living without Adderall and happy. It can be done and hopefully he will come to realize he needs to before it's too late.

He's a really nice guy, gentle, caring, funny and smart. He LOVES animals and we are getting a puppy and the mom in two weeks. He loves to cook and bake. He plays baseball with his little brother and nephew who both look up to him like he is the greatest person ever. I was hoping he could coach a baseball team one year for them, but I don't think that will happen unless he is off this stuff.

I'm trying to get him to do the things he still enjoys doing (as stated above) and find some new things. I don't know much about this, so I really need to hear from people with experience on what did/didn't work for them. Maybe when he is ready, I will be more informed.

Thank you all for your time.

Hi Wellness,

Glad you found us!  Hope we can help. :)

Everything Greg mentioned above is dead on.  Your son does have to want to quit, but I think the more stories he can hear from people that went through what he's been going through might help.  I am getting ready to head to the gym so I don't have much time at the moment to respond, but here's a few articles you could always send him.  Ashley and I from this site were featured in this first article by Self Magazine and there is a 3rd story as well.  I had two severe adderall psychosis events that landed me in the ER/psych ward twice.  The second article is the lead singer of the band Creed and his story on adderall (hearing voices).  

Self Magazine Article:  http://www.self.com/wellness/health/2013/03/adderall-the-get-ahead-drug/?currentPage=1

Creed Article:  http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/creed-frontman-scott-stapp-prescription-drug-abuse-led/story?id=30996539

• Like 4

Wellness,

I can relate to your situation because a lot of what you describe is what I put my family through.  For me, it took hitting a bottom to really see what I was doing to myself and those who loved me the most. 

When I was abusing Adderall I was a shell of a person and found it impossible to communicate what was actually going on.  Since I was addicted, I was afraid to tell anyone because I couldn't imagine life without them.  Therefore I lied, and lied some more.  Towards the end of my run with Adderall I went from being extroverted to a complete introvert.  My mind never stopped and it drove me to the brink of insanity.  The good feeling the pill brought when I first started taking it in college was gone and I was miserable on it as much as I was when I would run out.  I felt completely alone, no matter where I was or who I was with. 

When I was sick and tired of being sick and tired someone told me "you are not alone."  I still get choked up writing that because it really saved my life.  He too was an addict and he encouraged me to get help.  I listened and ended up in a 21 day rehab program.  For the past 6 months I have been off everything and go to daily meetings/support groups to share and hear stories of strength and hope. 

Good luck and thanks for sharing.     

• Like 4

Many of us here are functioning addicts we are the people who go the extra mile at work look well groomed can carry on this addiction for years without any incidents like your son. Not that makes any of us better just sounds like this sets off a big trigger for him. Has he ever been labeled bi-polar ? I heard meds like this can be hell for people with that condition. Anyways he is going to want to change many of us on here want to desperately change we have families jobs etc but this drug still kicks are ass. If he has no intention to get off it for good really not much hope. But if he sees you can help him not worry about having a job paying bills he should take full advantage if he doesn't I sure wouldn't help him pay bills if he just wants to continue.

Hi Wellness, 

I'm not sure what would've happened if my family had an intervention at the time.  I was living with my fiancé at the time and he hated it.  I did try to quit for him once and it lasted 3 months.  I got pissed off because I didn't feel like he was being supportive or even cared that much as to how hard it was for me to quit and to be doing it for him so I ended up back on it and then we broke up a few months after that.

For me, there were a few things that happened along the way that sort of just kept piling up and making me want to quit more and more.  Here goes:

1. Fiance wanted me to quit and our relationship was going down the tubes because of it

2. Friend explained her pill addiction to me and as she explained it I realized I was seriously addicted

3. I found this website 

4.  A guy at work I had a crush on told me about his ex-wife and how she was an adderall junkie - the way he described her cut me to the core and he had no idea I was even on adderall

5. I kicked this loser guy I was dating out of my apartment and he sent me the cruelest text messages ever and one of them said, "your jaw shakes like a meth head", "you have some serious problems", "nobody will ever want you in your condition" etc. 

6. I saw a psychic who informed me I had a serious problem and drilled down my past using history and said I was at 90% negative and if i didn't get some help, it wasn't looking pretty for me.  Actually told me to go home and get my bible out and pray to God for help

7. I had a car accident after taking a 15mg pill one night and had a few drinks since it had been several months since I'd been on them

8. I went to the ER and a psych ward due to the pills being super potent by a bad batch from manufacturer 

9. I went back on the pills after I found out the pills were screwed up and it wasn't my fault, but then 9 months later landed in the ER/psych ward/detox once again. This time it was my fault for going back on them for 3 weeks straight after being sober 3 months.  Anyhow, being that it was the same exact incident happening once again, that was finally straw that broke the camels back and allowed me to quit for good.

So looking back at this now, as you can see it might take a lot of bad stuff to happen before someone is ready to quit.  I think if my family had confronted me, it would've just been another stepping stone towards me quitting eventually.  The seed would at least be planted.  I think everyone is different.  There is no one magic bullet that is going to work for everyone.  Some people might be able to get clean as soon as they realize it's a problem. Then you have people like me who had to get knocked in the head like a 100 times before being willing to finally quit for good.  I had several quit attempts also mixed in with all of the stuff mentioned above too.  For me, it just wasn't until I went to the ER for the 2nd time that finally made me say, ok that's enough of that shit.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and brother.  Addiction is scary and I my heart goes out to those watching someone they love be trapped in it.  

If you have a confrontation with your son, I would make it more of a non-invasive discussion rather than an attack. Maybe say things like:   "We are worried about you. We love you and we want to see you live a long, healthy, and happy life.  From what we can see, this drug is wrecking your life and we are scared for you.  We've read countless stories of other people that took adderall and had the same problems you are having now.  Some did not make it.  We know it is your life and you have every right to choose how to live it.  But as your parents we feel it would be our biggest regret if we did not speak up and at least express our concerns for your well being."

I think if someone came at me in that manner I would've been much more likely to listen and at least feel like I wasn't being forced, attacked, or told what to do.  It would've made me feel like I was empowered and in charge of my own life.  I was actually in an intervention once where the family launched an all out attack against their son and went in and snatched up his bottles and tried to force him to get help. Let's just say it didn't go well.  I think that is the wrong way to go about doing it.  Any time someone tries to force someone to do anything, it will usually end in rebellion.  It feels like your boundaries are being violated and then you end up hurting yourself only worse to get back at the people trying to help you by trying to show them who's boss and exert your own authority.  

I really hope things work out for him.  Prayers for you and your family!  Please keep us posted.  

• Like 4

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I'm not far enough into my recovery to offer you any profound advice on what to do, but I really hope your son realizes he has a problem. It makes my heart smile when I read how much love and support you have to give him. You are willing to do anything to help him get better. I hope he takes advantage of that. :) 

• Like 1

I am so sorry to hear it's this bad.  I think the best thing we can do is pray for him and ask GOD and the spiritual entities to help send him signs pointing him in the direction to go.  I know that sounds weird, but I am so strongly convinced in the spiritual world and how we have spirits all around us trying to guide us along our path.  It really freaked me out when I saw this video about evil spirits taking hold of people and destructing them via drugs/alcohol, and suicide ideation.  It's just beyond insane, but I am a firm believer that this does and can in fact happen and in order to break free of them, we need to ask for help from the other side.   I mean it doesn't hurt anything right?  When I went to see that psychic in 2010, I swear in my life she could sense the evil spirits had me deep in their grips and that was why she told me to go home and get my bible out and pray to GOD for help.  It was seriously CRAZY because that's exactly what I did and I was sober/clean for a good 3 months after that until I relapsed.

Earlier, you said you showed him print outs from this forum, but you never said how he responded.  Did he seem at all interested or possibly consider if whether or not he had a problem?  In recovery, there are stages one goes through on the journey to get well.  It goes like this: http://www.smartrecovery.org/resources/library/Articles_and_Essays/Stages_of_Change/understanding_stages_of_change.htm

I'm hopeful that with the more information he comes across, the more he will start drifting into the early stages of change.  It would be good to know where he's at in this process.  It's usually not linear, but at least this might give you more hope and an idea/framework of how recovery works.

Right before I saw that psychic, there was a story on the news about Lindsay Lohan and how she was addicted to adderall.  It showed her descent of pictures over the years.  Again, I don't think this was just a random coincidence.  It was help from my spiritual guides giving me sign after sign about my problem.  I think this is what your son needs - divine intervention.  Keep asking for help from them.  They will perform the miracles which us humans do not have the ability to do.

Don't lose hope.  Pray, pray, and then pray some more.  My heart goes out to you and I hope he gets well soon.  Part of me wonders if you could talk to his doctor.  I know you said you worry about him finding another avenue and turning to street drugs, but maybe at least it would put a road block on his use for some time.  IF you talked to his doctor though, I would make sure he does NOT know you did.  Maybe the doctor could just call him in one day and say he's seeing some serious red flags with the medication and his behavior or had another patient he recently took off the pills and is no longer comfortable prescribing them.  I've heard of doctors doing this before.  And seriously, they should!!  I'm sure he could come up with a valid reason.  IF I would've been cut off like that, I would've been PISSED, but it would make it harder to access the drugs and it might've at least gotten me clean for a short interim period.  I feel like the doctor should be made aware of this as he is destroying your son's life without even knowing it.  

What does everyone think about this?  Good or bad idea?

• Like 1

Out of curiosity and please forgive me if this seems like a stupid question. Does anyone support themselves with nutrition while taking Adderall and/or while getting off of it? 

I'm reading up on all this and wondering if the side effects of Adderall are caused by Adderall, genetic disposition, nutritional deficiencies, lack of sleep or a combination of them all. I've read recently that by supporting the body nutritionally, it helped tremendously with helping to stop taking it.

Thoughts?   

Yes, I had a blood test at a health fair after quitting and it showed I was low in vitamin D.  I took supplements and fixed it.  I have heard from at least three others around here they also had low vitamin D after quitting.  In response to your question, Wellness, I believe nutritional support is essential for a successful recovery because nobody eats well while they are pursuing their addiction. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wellness,

I think the best thing you can do is take good care of yourself.  The more you try to persuade him to stop is only going to make it worse in my humble opinion.  I am ONLY speaking of from my own life experience in this matter, but from what I can tell you of my own situation and watching fellow addicts around me, the worst thing you can do is to keep getting on him about it.  I think the more you try to push him into doing what you want, it will backfire.  He will be even more resistant to consider changing and will resent you for trying to exert control over him. 

If it were me and my son, I would completely stay out of the matter unless he comes to you.  I would try to be more of a listener and not pass judgement.  I would try to play more of an active support role in his life and help him empower himself with any choices he wants to make.  I would try to reflect back to him what he says so that he can draw his own conclusions.  I would want him to know that I am always there to support him and if he feels adderall is the best choice for his life at the time, I would encourage him to talk about and what it is doing for him.  I would do my best just to listen and not be critical and condemn. The more he feels that you are an open door and he can talk to you about anything, the more he might be able to open up about it.  Unfortunately, you can't control this and you can't do it for him. The motivation to want to stop is going to have to come from him, but what you can do is be there to listen and if he mentions the negative things that have resulted from it, reflect those back to him.  You can still be a loving support and encourage him in all matters.  Just don't try to push and control.  I think that will only make the situation worse.  I'm sure is well aware that you hate him being on this medication, but maybe if he sees you have backed down from trying so hard to convince him to stop he will be shocked and appreciative.  It might help him feel more empowered and less resistant to change.  

I would just go about my life in the best way I could and always try to press in him that he is a strong, powerful, and amazing person that is in charge of his life.  You believe in him and will do your best to support his choices.  

Bluemoon, I've tried to talk to him about it, but he just gets mad. So, has his sister and ex-girlfriend, with the same results. I don't know what it will take for him to stop. I don't bring it up anymore. Do I just keep ignoring the situation?

LilTex, that is exactly what I've been trying to do; stay out of it, but be helping in the background. I learned from other family members and nagging them to quit their addictions, that it only makes it worse. I think we all have our things (me it's caffeine and I'm going to quit after this semester). I know it doesn't compare to this or other things, but I have honestly tried so many times and I can't imagine a day without it. However, I will do this and hope it helps him to see it's possible.

I'm trying to give him things to do during the day to keep him busy, he just got a part time, we just got two dogs and I am hopeful it will help him with bonding and I try to think of things for him to do (other then chores), but help him find interest in things he likes again (cooking, baking, etc...).  His little brother always asks him to bake him something and he usually can't say no to him. :)  He loves his brother, just as much as his brother loves him.

I have one week of my college class left and then will be taking the summer off so I can better help him and be there for him. I'm going to try to incorporate him into helping me exercise again, find some healthy recipes for snacks he can make, find/cook more foods that support him nutritionally, create some fun times (scheduling a big family fun day!!!), reduce stress in the house, etc...

I/'we try to act as normal as we can, but some days are better then others. He is moody as can be and snaps at me quickly and I've had all I can take. He is pleasant until you say something he doesn't like or agree with and then he gets nasty. Some mornings, I wake up and wonder if he is alive or not.

Something has changed lately though. He is sleeping through the night (he used to be in and out of the house many hours of the night and it would wake me up hearing the door), he gets up early now (around 9am), he is eating better, gaining weight and I'm not seeing the faces I used to when he would be hearing voices. Something still isn't right though and I'm hoping he hasn't added anything to Adderall to make him sleep or counter the effects.

I want him to trust me and know that we will help him every way possible. I want him to know and feel how much he is loved. This summer, I hope to bring him closer to me/us and hope he sees a better way of life.

I'm afraid this is going to drive him to insanity or a deep depression.

I thank you all for being on this site. It helps to talk to others who have been there. Maybe one day he will take my advice and join this group. There is a lot of information and support.