QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Running 50 Miles Without Adderall

Robert Westwood

I've been taking Adderall for three years. My doctor prescribed it to me shortly after I saw my teen son's grades improve from "D"s to "A"s in the classic Adderall tale. I figured since my teen son and I are similar- maybe I have ADD and I too could benefit from the drug...

I was initially much more productive at work- I could prioritize like never before. At my job (in healthcare sales), I was able to draft lengthy proposals- I was capable of rapidly researching and comprehending anything. I was more confident than ever and thought my performance would skyrocket- but it didn't... It took three years for me to realize that the reason people bought from me (before Adderall) was based largely on their ability to relate to me---- And I was no longer relatable.

The fun-loving, affable man I once was became hardened and bitter due to months and months of accumulating sleep deprivation. My patience withered. My temper flared. My wife told me time and again that she felt that Adderall was causing me severe anxiety and in near-paranoid fits of rage... I denied it.

My face became drawn and thin. My nearly forty-year-old skin developed horrible acne- but perhaps it was worse because I couldn't stop picking and picking...

A week ago, I said goodbye to Adderall forever. I was finally able to gather up all of my pills and bottle them up, seal them & trash them (as recommended by the FDA). The withdrawal has been awful, but I knew I had to quit. Every day gets better after the first day...

I am a runner. Adderall made running easier and more appealing (for me), but I have always loved to run... Before I ever thought of quitting, I entered a 50 mile ultra marathon... It would have been easy for me on Adderall, but as I'm still fighting withdrawal, it's quite hard... Hell, waking up can be hard... But I'm going to do it...

My race is tomorrow... 50 miles... And I'm doing it clean.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Inspiring!!! Adderall has put me in a constant state of depression. I feel like a zombie and just stare at the walls on my days off work. I'm struggling to quit, but hope to be back to my old self in. A few months. It's definitely a struggle, so I love hearing positive stories.