QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Going to dr tomorrow and seriously contemplating antidepressants

Bubbagump99

Sigh. I know I said in the beginning I didn't want to take an antidepressant when she suggested it last time bc I just didn't want to jump from pill to pill. However, I'm feeling really bad.. cry a lot.. Exhausted, depressed.. getting fatter isn't helping hhaha. Fml

For those of you that went on antidepressants afterwards.. Was it worth it, did it help? Do they make you gain weight???? If they do,

I'm out completely.. Really don't need any help in that dept lol

My apt is tomorrow.. So any feedback would be appreciated. Btw I'm down to 5mg after being on 30mg for like 8 years smh

• Like 1

Anti-depressants made me lethargic, fat, and not care about anything.  But some people like them.  I was on them for the transition from day 1 up to 5 months and then i weaned myself off all the shit they had me on.  Looking back that is probably why I stayed clean.  I was tranquilized in a fog of serotonin.  I did get fat though.  I just slept, ate, and didn't care about anything.  As soon as I got off all of it, my anxiety was back and I started exercising like crazy.  Lost the weight in a good amount of time.

It might be worth it to just suck it up and say. "Screw it I am going to do whatever it takes to get off adderall for good and if that means I have to gain a few lbs, f-it.  It'll be worth it when I am free of adderall for the rest of my life."

Looking back, I seriously think I would've relapsed in that period had I not been tranquilized.  Just a thought.

I caved and got put on Zoloft after making it about three and a half months clean.

I've been on them all, and Zoloft was chosen because it's the best one when you're pregnant.

I was really hoping it would make my panic and depressing thoughts subside, and I guess it did to an extent, but I just couldn't handle the way it made me feel. I felt like a zombie, unable to feel neither great happiness or great sadness.

But sometimes antidepressants do help, and each one is different for each person.

In the past, Lexapro always worked best, though I had major weight gain with it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I hear good things about Welbutrin. While taking a drug to get off a drug seems counter intuitive. I took a zoloft for a period after I quit Adderall and it was somewhat useful and in no way habit forming. I just stopped taking them one day, in fact there are some leftover in a drawer.

I don't remember when the depression fog cleared for me but it did and it will for you. 

Exercise, sunshine and travel are the best remedy for depression.

Talk to your doctor, hopefully he isn't a drug pusher type doctor, do your own independent research. Before trying any new drug.  Sadly you can't blindly trust your doctor.  

• Like 1

I was on Zoloft years ago (before I took Adderall), and it really did help my depression at the time, but I gained a lot of weight. I tried Cymbalta a couple years ago (one of my first of many attempts to quit Adderall), and I actually lost a few pounds but I was a total ZOMBIE! Like just absolutely lethargic. I would go to bed at 8pm, but also sometimes would wake up in the middle of the night randomly and just lay there wide awake for two hours, then be exhausted in the morning. I tried Wellbutrin once and it made me feel really sick, so I didn't get far enough into that one to say whether it helped my depression or not. I do hear Wellbutrin is less likely to make you gain weight though.

Every person is different and will react differently to antidepressants. Just because one person gained a ton of weight, doesn't mean you will too. I feel the same way as you do, I don't want to go from pill to pill either. I have avoided antidepressants up until this point. I think I can hang in there a little longer, I'm hoping relief is just around the corner.

In your situation, I kind of agree with Lil Tex... If you are feeling that bad, especially given how many years you were on Adderall, it may be worth it suck it up and have a little crutch to get you through the hardest part of your quit. I mean, sorry to say it, but you're going to gain weight when you quit regardless, whether you take antidepressants or not. Just remember the weight is temporary and you can lose the weight later, when you are more able to do so. If you can find an antidepressant that helps, I would go for it. 

Super proud of you for how far you've come!!! And you've done it YOUR way, you did what works for you. You are amazing. When do you plan on taking your last 5mg? ;)

Thanks guys for all your input. I've decided I'm not gonna go with the antidepressants. I only have two 5mg pills left.

Today I'm gonna ask her for a months worth of 5mg and a months worth of 2.5mg.

I only had two weeks of 5mgs.

When I 'stepped down' each step, most of them were held for 3-4 weeks at the same dosage. For some reason it seems like every other dosage is harder. 15s were AWFUL, 10mg I felt good, 7.5 I felt good at first and then felt blah, and 5s Ive felt awful on. I know most of you are just like screw it, if you're this low already then just stop completely.. But I don't want to crash more or harder than I have to. And this stepping down business has definitely been easier than cold turkey. God, that was awful.

I figure I've been on this crap for almost 9 years, so if it takes me a little over 6 months to get off of it completely, then I'm doing good. There's no rush. No reason to. I figure as long as I don't 'step back up', do it slow and do what works for me.. Why suffer if I don't have to?

thank you guys for always listening and your input. having this 'place' to come to really helps with things..... :)

• Like 1