QuittingAdderall.com Forums

When will it get better?

imabuki

Hello,

I have been taking Adderall (until 10.14.16) for 10 years...legally as an rx for ADD.  I had no idea the problems I have been dealing with the past number of years were due to the Adderall....figuring if a doctor prescribed it then it must be good for me.  I have since done research (thanks for to this site) and realized I need to get off of the Adderall.  The logic and science all makes sense; however, the day-to-day struggle is real.  The Adderall was like a pacifier for me (my security blanket).  Now it is a struggle to do basic tasks.  I am willing to put in the work because I hope for a better life for myself but these days are really a struggle....I know that pill can get me through a tough meeting or conference call.  I have been struggling with my energy level and have been drinking Red Bull and 5 Hour Energy...yes, I know those are not good either but it gives me a little boost.  

Here is my question...how long can I expect to feel this way?  I read other stories on here and it seems like most people have been on Adderall for less than 5 years and they still struggle a year after the fact.  I worry that my age (42) and being on it for 10 years will make my recovery unbearable.  Any thoughts or words of wisdom?  I was prescribed 20mg 3x a day.  The most I would usually take in a day would be 80 and sometimes (usually weekends) I would make due with 20/40.  

Thank you to all as it is quite helpful reading everyone's stories on here!

How long have you been off Adderall? I was on Adderall for 10 years. I've been off it for just under two weeks now. In terms of physical symptoms, the first week was a nightmare. And although I managed to get my work done, it was a struggle.

I'm now nearing the end of my second week off Adderall, and things are really looking up. I've been productive and haven't noticed a significant difference in the quality of my work. 

I'm sure it's different for everyone, and I'll probably encounter more hurdles as I go along. But my experience so far tells me that you can be on this drug for 10 years, quit, and be OK  :)

Welcome and congrats your on a long hard journey but people are here to help and suffer along with u lol. Your prescription strength, age and time on it is pretty similar to mine (9yrs on 60 mg day it I'm 38 now). Coming close to my year anniversary I can say Ive made many changes for the better but yes it is a slow process. Check out PAWS on the internet 'YouTube has some videos' it wasn't until recently did I look into it wish I did earlier. I think understanding what is going on in your head and how to avoid getting stuck in a addict way of thinking is a powerful tool.

iambuki - congratulations on your decision. I did not take adderall for as long as you have, I was on it for about 2 years (vyvanse 70mg daily) before I decided to quit. I am almost 10.5 months off of it now, and I can tell you that it is absolutely worth it. When I first quit, it seemed like everything I read pointed to one year. But I definitely disagree, I began to see improvements at about 4 months, and I felt like it started to get lot better between 6-7 months. I had a great deal of trouble sleeping for the first several months, but I was lucky in that I had just quit my job to pursue my MBA full-time. I would work out, usually jogging several miles, to wear me out. Sometimes it would work. I saw you mentioned you would drink red bull/5 hr energy, everyone is different, but I definitely wouldn't recommend that. I did the same, drinking vast amounts of coffee in the beginning, but once I stopped doing that I realize I felt much better - and I was able to sleep a lot better. 

I've written this in other areas/forums on this site, but the best advice I can offer is to keep doing things - plan things, take up new projects, keep yourself busy. I realize this is very difficult in the beginning, but once I proved to myself that I could operate at a relatively high pace again, I was much happier. And quite frankly, I didn't have time to think about the depression, anxiety, as much. Don't get me wrong, it will still be there, but the faster you can move forward, the faster you can recover. 

When it comes to recovery, progress is measured in time. It gets better, I promise.