QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Anyone completely change careers after quitting?

NotToday

Accidentally posted last topic before I had finished. Anyways, Ive been lurking these boards for awhile and soooo grateful to know that I'm not alone or crazy in the way I've been feeling. A little about me... I started taking adderall around age 19-20, I'm now 27. It started by just taking one here and there, to study for finals or write a paper. Like everyone else, I thought that adderall and I were going places and I could quite literally conquer the world. I soon got my own prescription and it was off to the races.

I ignored the side effects for a long time because hey, I was doing well in school, didn't mind working long bar tending hours, and was losing weight too. I already had a full time job in my industry (finance and accounting) during my senior year and just finished out the degree with night and weekend classes. I continued to get another two promotions in the next few years all the while my addiction started to spiral out of control. After years of drinking myself to sleep, I asked my doctor for a Xanax prescription (for the panic attacks, of course.) once I had this, I didn't even bother trying to moderate how much adderall I popped during the day because I knew the Xanax would let me sleep. I continued binge drinking on a nightly basis because of the anxiety I would get coming down then followed by the Xanax. I knew it was killing me but I couldn't see a way out. i finally checked myself into rehab about 4 and a half months ago. Now I'm home and still off of everything, but all my fears about being absolutely useless at work have become true. i forced myself to take on a career that is so opposite of my personality. I spent years pretending to be something I'm not, and man is it a reality check. Anyways, sorry to ramble, but has anyone completely changed careers after quitting? I've really been contemplating moving back in with my Parents and going back to school. This is the last place I wanted to be at 27, especially after being on my own for so long but I just feel so miserable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

I can relate to so much of your story.  The adderall, the alcohol, the xanax.  Congrats on staying clean!

I kept the same career, but I started to approach it differently.  So far it's working, but I am still frustratingly behind after years of being pretty useless :/

I know some people here have changed careers completely.   When you quit adderall, things start to become more clear in a lot of ways.  You might realize you hate your career and want to pursue something you love.    You will find your path.   You deserve a career that you find fulfilling-- and now that you're clean, you can see clearly what does, and doesn't, work for you.  

Give it time my friend.  And good luck!

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...