QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Will you warn your children?

Subtracterall

If you have kids, do you plan to warn them about prescription medications and adderall in particular?  If so how and when?

I know we all tell our kids to not do street drugs, that's not what I am asking here.

I just read a kid on here saying he read about adderall and how bad it was and it only made him want to try it. And that's what scares me.  I guess my question is - is it better to warn our kids about the dangers and risk that they will go out and get a script for it or not say anything and hope they never find out about it.  

This is something I am struggling with and wonder what everyone else on here plans to do.

• Like 1

Funny that's how I got on this stuff. My son was in 2nd grade given it by a doctor to help in school and he was like strung out on it.  I thought wonder what it does if I'm giving it to him I should know what it's like so I tried it. Of course I got him off it immediately knew it wasn't good for him but for me o shit I was a superman got my own script.

I would warn teenagers about it ultimately it's up to them I can't stop them but at least give out the info. 

Absofuckinglutely I will warn them. If I'm lucky enough to have a child one day, and a teacher or doctor recommends to me that I put them on a stimulant of any kind, I will laugh them out of the fucking door. I'd explain to my kid that they are good enough the way they are, and work with their natural gifts to overcome any obstacles they may be facing academically. It sounds idealistic, and I don't mean to sound judgmental of parents who choose that route for their kids, but with what this drug has put all of us through, I really struggle hearing the "adderall saved my life and is a miracle for some people" stories. I know that everyone's brain chemistry is different, and I've really tried to entertain the possibility that it isn't harmful for some. But in my heart of hearts, I just don't buy it.

In my first year of taking it, I would have said it was a miracle, too. I would have defended adderall till the cows came home. But looking back, that was just the hubris of my excess dopamine. 

• Like 1