QuittingAdderall.com Forums

MODAFINIL

Madd

Yes, I have tried to use Modafinil in place of Adderall. It's important to know that Modafinil is a wakefulness promoting agent, not a stimulant. Here are my experiences:

-It does not give any detectable sense of euphoria. 

-I didn't even notice it was doing anything at first. The only indication I got that it was working (or doing ANYTHING for that matter) was being unable to fall asleep at night. It pretty much removed the sensation of sleepiness. Hence it being correctly labeled as a 'wakefulness promoting agent'.

-Close friends and family members noticed I was more "edgy" while on Modafinil. I experienced this as increased anxiety.

-Gave me a HUGE headache at the end of the day. 

-Gave me significant jaw tightness. 

-Made my piss smell funky. 

-No real or perceived cognitive benefits (though people purport to experience cognitive enhancement in various online forums).

-And perhaps most importantly did NOT diminish any effects of Adderall withdrawal. 

I'm pretty much just trying to aid the 'extreme fatigue' side effect. That's the primary focus. 

I've been on dexamphetamine for 10 years and have been struggling especially this year with abuse and overuse etc. 

I am trying to get off it and will tolerate other withdrawal symptoms but am looking for a way to still be able to function physically best I possibly can etc so MODAFINIL looked like an option? Not looking to treat ADD like symptoms just the fatigue component.

Hmm.. worth a shot? It did not relieve any fatigue-related symptoms I was experiencing early on in my post-Adderall recovery. However, I've read from multiple sources that people's response to this drug varies greatly, meaning some people tend to have a very positive experience from Modafinil while others tend to experience nothing more than a headache. I certainly belong in the latter group, but who knows, you may respond well to it. I know the abuse potential with Modafinil is relatively low compared to Adderall. This must be in part due to the apparent lack of euphoric feelings from taking Modafinil. 

Hope you find some relief soon. 

2 hours ago, Madd said:

I'm pretty much just trying to aid the 'extreme fatigue' side effect. That's the primary focus. 

I've been on dexamphetamine for 10 years and have been struggling especially this year with abuse and overuse etc. 

I am trying to get off it and will tolerate other withdrawal symptoms but am looking for a way to still be able to function physically best I possibly can etc so MODAFINIL looked like an option? Not looking to treat ADD like symptoms just the fatigue component.

Might be considered somewhat cheating but if you get Sudafed it will help might be better vs the pill your asking about. But if you abuse it not going to help you recover. 

I took the new version of Modafinil (called Nuvigil) for about 3 weeks after I quit Adderall. It helped quite a bit as a stepping stone. Nuvigil lasts longer than Modafinil and definitely packs a bit more punch.  After those 3 weeks, I could sense my body didn't want me on any pharma stimulants while adapting to the ketogenic diet, which I began strategically when I decided to quit Addy.

It's been about 3 months since my last Adderall, and maybe 2 mo's since I last took Nuvigil, and I don't oversleep and I have incredible energy and mental focus. I no longer consume caffeine, just whole foods. Processed carbs, any sugar, and (hence) insulin spikes are the enemy. This focus is pretty insane, and my anxiety has shot down extremely far (almost to a fault, but hey I'm new to being anxiety free ;)). It does take quite a bit of discipline to initially adapt. I wanted it bad, and I'm extremely happy with where I am now.

I was on Addy for 11 years, the last few years I abused it 2-4 times a month. It was pretty bad.

• Like 1