QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Wife still showing lots of psychological damage after 3 years off

AdrianK&AshleyN

Its been 3 years n some months since my Wife discontinued her adderall which she was prescribed very young. She quit at 22 now soon to be 26 and she  still has not improved much. I say that in meaning the psychological ways she was affected havent reversed or changed or unzombiefied. Idk .  It took a long time to realize that she has been going through post-acute mental withdrawal, very very post and not always so acute.it seems some days that she absolutely has no ability to see any wrong doings of her own nor is it easy whats so ever for her to accept any responsibility for things even small common mistakes. ( similar to the mind set of someone still on adderall) She seems to have no empathy at times for few health issues i have that causes me extreme pain at times.  For the first 2 years her sex drive was very very low. And she Was awkward and even shy with me in bed after 2years of being together and 2 years off of the addys. Even after reassuring and complimenting her . she has no focus. Forgets almost everything i tell her to take care of throughout the week and for the most part i feel as if shes always ignoring me because she CANNOT PAY ATTENTION FOR MORE THAN .5 OF A DAMN SECOND LOL. I feel as if this adderall that she took for so long has permantly ruined her brain. I feel so guilty because for so long i criticized and complained to her about all this and just thought her to be a kinda narcissistic.  Over time and just recently come to realize that these issues began very heavily at the beginning of our relationship when she simultaneously had cold turkeyed her adderall after years. I now wonder how long this will take to see her energy back fatigue and anger and mood swings GONE!!  She is not an addict just very very add and i think was put on adderall too young for too long . any one still experiencing something similar after 3 or more years of quiting??? Thx

P.S. i know for a fact the she has been off of this medication. Shes not an addict and i know she hasnt been hiding adderall abuse etc from me.

Why did she stop taking adderall? Has she replaced adderall with a new medication? It sounds like her attention and memory problems from childhood have returned. If you can't pay attention it is had to remember what you were supposed to be paying attention to. As as for the mood swings and low energy.. I started to become a bit less fatigued around the 1 year mark. I think I am at 17 months now. I still have days where I become grumpy. I am having to relearn to control my temper and emotions. Adderall took away almost all of my emotions. Some people say it makes them robotic. Now my emotions are back in full force and there are days I feel like a toddler throwing temper tantrums. I am slowly regaining my ability to reason and use logic. 

Does she goto a Dr for ADD/ADHD? Is she opposed to meds? Would she be into supplements? 

I have brain damage and went through neuropsych  testing and then to cognitive pathologist to retrain my brain to focus and read. Maybe something like his might help her. 

I hope I am recovered by 3 years off adderall. 

Best of luck to her and you. 

My sex drive was the first thing to come back within maybe 2 months off. It still probably isn't the same when I started but I was also a lot younger. Sex drive returning for woman may be different think sex is more emotional for them so maybe they can chime in on that. If she is still showing true signs of bad add wouldn't she not still be fatigued? It seems part of add you can't slow yourself down. I mean sometimes I'm lazy and feel add but what your describing seems to the extreme. I'd suggest a marriage counselor to help if you say it's all her and she should see a doctor then your opening the door for her return to adderall.