QuittingAdderall.com Forums

CBT experiences anyone?

Speeder906

Hey everyone, 

I'm going to see a cognitive behavioral therapy therapist next week and I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience and/or let me know what to expect? My psychiatrist referred me to a therapist to deal with my (social) anxiety primarily, but there's a lot more going on than anxiety, I feel like. Mostly stemming from my adderall abuse. Does anyone know if CBT can kinda branch out to different subjects? Like ways to deal with cravings? Or ways to cope with the low self-esteem, weight gain/recurring binge eating, or do they normally stick to one issue (i.e social anxiety in my case). 

Be well everyone

18 hours ago, Speeder906 said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm going to see a cognitive behavioral therapy therapist next week and I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience and/or let me know what to expect? My psychiatrist referred me to a therapist to deal with my (social) anxiety primarily, but there's a lot more going on than anxiety, I feel like. Mostly stemming from my adderall abuse. Does anyone know if CBT can kinda branch out to different subjects? Like ways to deal with cravings? Or ways to cope with the low self-esteem, weight gain/recurring binge eating, or do they normally stick to one issue (i.e social anxiety in my case). 

Be well everyone

Don't let them give you shock therapy. Jk doubt they do that but hope it helps let us know how it works out. 

• Like 1

CBT is all about recognizing your negative thoughts and turning them around before acting on them. In my experience, you can't always tell it's even CBT, but I do know that therapy helped me TREMENDOUSLY!! They will definitely help you in more than one area as well. I personally have tons of issues lmao!! They will go over all of that with you and decide the best things to work on :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicole88 said:

CBT is all about recognizing your negative thoughts and turning them around before acting on them. In my experience, you can't always tell it's even CBT, but I do know that therapy helped me TREMENDOUSLY!! They will definitely help you in more than one area as well. I personally have tons of issues lmao!! They will go over all of that with you and decide the best things to work on :) 

Is it like a psychologist or more of a motivational coach? Sounds interesting but guessing expensive. 

I used to use audiotape on cognitive behavioral therapy. It definitely helps with self esteem, depression and anxiety. It's about recognising your thoughts and then stopping them before they spiral out of control. It's about how your thoughts will cause your physical symptoms like the fight or flight sensation when you are anxious. I found it extremely helpful when I was using those tapes. Let us know how it works!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Frank B said:

Is it like a psychologist or more of a motivational coach? Sounds interesting but guessing expensive. 

It's really just a therapy technique so most therapists/psychologists/social workers should have some training it it. I personally saw a LCSW, and it was luckily covered by my insurance. There are a lot of workbooks on the topic tho, and it is proven to be a very effective method if you can stay committed to the process. Definitely don't need someone to walk you through it as they are very easy concepts to grasp. I definitely think it made all the difference in some of the gains I've made in the past few months so worth a shot :) 

4 hours ago, Nicole88 said:

It's really just a therapy technique so most therapists/psychologists/social workers should have some training it it. I personally saw a LCSW, and it was luckily covered by my insurance. There are a lot of workbooks on the topic tho, and it is proven to be a very effective method if you can stay committed to the process. Definitely don't need someone to walk you through it as they are very easy concepts to grasp. I definitely think it made all the difference in some of the gains I've made in the past few months so worth a shot :) 

Where might I find some of those workbooks? I've come across some online but not sure which I would get if any. 

It looks like my insurance won't cover me seeing a therapist (or any doctor more than a few times a year for that matter)  and switching to several different psychiatrists to find the one I'm seeing now probably wasn't a good idea. I do see a counselor at my college (cause it's free) and she mentioned integrating CBT in our sessions. May as well take her up on that since it looks like my medical insurance isn't exactly making getting help too easy on me 

I do kinda prefer the in-person sessions if I were to do CBT but that might be my only option that won't make me even more broke than I already am rn haha

I know there's even a bunch on iBooks. I need to look for one that my therapist had given me. Would hate to recommend one that isn't great.

i would definitely take up your college counselor!!! Why not if it's free!!! It's way too expensive without the insurance coverage so I get that for sure. I know my insurance gladly covers therapy if it means keeping me out of rehab which carries a way bigger price tag... might be worth mentioning to them.. Let us know how it goes!!!

• Like 1