QuittingAdderall.com Forums

My story, kinda

Alyssa

Hello Alyssa, thank you for sharing your story. I am at 4mo since I quit taking and am just starting to have normal days. I still seem to have at least one really bad day a week. I quit cold turkey which now looking back I wish I had tapered off. 

Besides taking a semester off maybe you you could start tapering off a couple months before summer then stop once school is out. I would consider talking to your doc about welbutrin as many here have said it helped the transition, I just got a script myself as I am still struggling.

Exercise really helps also, some of my worst days when I peeled myself off the couch to break a sweat really helped.

Good luck and hope you give it a go when your ready for it! Even on my worst days I don't regret quitting! 

• Like 1

Hi Alyssa.

welcome to the forums!!! I thought I'd give my two cents in regards to your question about quitting adderall while in college. I can only speak from my own experience, and while I did not quit in college, I put it off for the same reasons you mentioned. I had determined it would be easier after I graduated, but I could not have been more wrong. The problem with this logic is that while you won't be in school, you'll likely have other, if not more pressing, responsibilities. In my particular case, I already had a full time position in my organization my senior year of college after being hired from an internship. I conpleteted that year by taking night and online classes all while working full time. My career really took off initially and the prospect of quitting adderall became less and less of an option. I've talked in several other posts about how my additiction spiraled out of control until I was left with no other choice but to quit. To do this, I had to, after over 4 years in my organization, go to my boss and explain that I needed to take a leave of absence to go to rehab. I am incredibly lucky and forever grateful for the support and understanding I received, but this was far from an ideal situation. I won't sugar coat the fact that getting off this shit is a miserable process. I personally was pretty much useless for almost 10 months. However, if I could go back in time, hindsight as it is, I would have just taken a semester off in college to take care of the problem. I would have saved myself so much heartache.... keep us posted on your decision and best of luck to you!! You deserve a life above and beyond the cycle adderall has you trapped in :) 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2017 at 9:27 PM, EricP said:

Hello Alyssa, thank you for sharing your story. I am at 4mo since I quit taking and am just starting to have normal days. I still seem to have at least one really bad day a week. I quit cold turkey which now looking back I wish I had tapered off. 

Besides taking a semester off maybe you you could start tapering off a couple months before summer then stop once school is out. I would consider talking to your doc about welbutrin as many here have said it helped the transition, I just got a script myself as I am still struggling.

Exercise really helps also, some of my worst days when I peeled myself off the couch to break a sweat really helped.

Good luck and hope you give it a go when your ready for it! Even on my worst days I don't regret quitting! 

"Even on my worst days I don't regret quitting" thank you for this! Also I think I am going to taper off like you said. And exercise for sure... can't get fat! 

Thanks so much for your reply. Good luck to you, here's to more good days!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nicole88 said:

Hi Alyssa.

welcome to the forums!!! I thought I'd give my two cents in regards to your question about quitting adderall while in college. I can only speak from my own experience, and while I did not quit in college, I put it off for the same reasons you mentioned. I had determined it would be easier after I graduated, but I could not have been more wrong. The problem with this logic is that while you won't be in school, you'll likely have other, if not more pressing, responsibilities. In my particular case, I already had a full time position in my organization my senior year of college after being hired from an internship. I conpleteted that year by taking night and online classes all while working full time. My career really took off initially and the prospect of quitting adderall became less and less of an option. I've talked in several other posts about how my additiction spiraled out of control until I was left with no other choice but to quit. To do this, I had to, after over 4 years in my organization, go to my boss and explain that I needed to take a leave of absence to go to rehab. I am incredibly lucky and forever grateful for the support and understanding I received, but this was far from an ideal situation. I won't sugar coat the fact that getting off this shit is a miserable process. I personally was pretty much useless for almost 10 months. However, if I could go back in time, hindsight as it is, I would have just taken a semester off in college to take care of the problem. I would have saved myself so much heartache.... keep us posted on your decision and best of luck to you!! You deserve a life above and beyond the cycle adderall has you trapped in :) 

Thank you so much for sharing. I think you're right, saying I'll quit after college is like people addicted to cigarettes saying they'll quit after college. Just another excuse my addiction is telling me!

Thank you for your story.

• Like 1