QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How to Cut Doctor Off - Advice Needed

Geometric11

Hi Everyone - 

So, I initially quit adderall on July 15th, only to go back for a short four day stint from August 28th thru September 1st.  Worst 4 days of my life!!  I discarded my adderall and have been without it since.  The problem...I never cut my doctor off.  I never told him I have a problem and never asked him to stop prescribing to me.  The option is there and and on my worst days,  I contemplate getting a refill.  I'm a little scared to call the doctor's office and oust myself.  I guess I am embarrassed.  I know this has to happen though.

Does anyone have experience doing this?  What do I say?

• Like 1

Hey Geometric - Glad you are taking this step because  everyone I've seen on this site who has rebuilt their lives from horrible adderall addiction has taken this action. Flushing down the toilet frequently results in getting refills 30 days later from what I've seen on this site. So when i hear about people flushing their pills I get a bit jaded from what I've seen.  

There have been threads on how to cut off your doctor in the past. Most people on this site just sucked it up, told their doctor they got addicted or developed a problem with it to get cut off and quickly got it over with. I told my aunt and she called my doctor and cut me off for me. I dont think there's any issue with having a family member do it. As long as the doctor is cut off.  But again, most people just told their doctor and quickly got it over with...and i don't know a single person who has regretted it.

• Like 1

Adding to Greg's message above, you can also tell the doctor that Adderall has caused you to have adverse reactions or has quit agreeing with you if you don't feel comfortable disclosing your addiction to the doctor or anyone else.  Just don't let them talk you into trying another stimulant in its place.  

• Like 2

I told my doctor that Adderall was simply not doing it for me anymore and not benefiting me in any way, shape, or form.

I probably should have told him I was dependant on them, but at least now I can't call and simply get my script refilled. 

It's better than nothing. More than I have ever done in the past. 

Big step to take best thing is to just tell him your abusing and don't want anymore how I did it. At least now healthcare in a huge freaking mess a lot of people loosing coverage won't be able to afford doctor visits and prescriptions. My only concern is the millions on adderall with healthcare taken away might seek out a cheaper route like meth on the streets. 

• Like 1

I just did this last week. It was a hard thing to do and I can't say I don't regret it but once you are real with your doctor about how are you actually using this medication, believe me, any decent physician will listen and they will not hand it out like candy. My dishonesty with doctors kept me on this train for years. I didn't half ass it either- I was very blunt (ie. I basically was like, you prescribe me this amount and impulsively take as much as I want and will probably continue to do so).