QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Horrible symptoms after stopping adderall(its been 4 months)

r0bbi3

Hello all,

I have been taking adderall all of my life since 5th grade for ADHD. Through college, I only took it on and off for projects and exams. One year after college, I only rarely took it during my clinical internship(1 year duration). After the clinical internship I had to take my board exam. For 2 months, I took adderall XR 20mg daily to prepare for the exam, I passed, and discontinued adderall. I don't ever see a need to take it again. This is when everything got worse. 

My symptoms that have been a life-long concern of mine: Fatigue, brain fog, scalp numbness, head heaviness, slight dizziness - doctors were never too worried because they were rare and minor, but after my exam, all of these symptoms became much worse. It is hard to describe the symptoms.. it's almost like having a terrible head cold and a sinus infection, all day, just in my head, without all of the extra symptoms. I saw multiple doctors, even got an MRI and they did not have any explanation. I get no relief from any medication, OTC, supplement, even working out. Fortunately and unfortunately, for maybe 1 day out of the month my symptoms will go away.. I will have a clear mind, my head will feel light, and I will have some energy. I cannot pin-point what causes this. 

I am looking for some suggestions, information, and experience from the forums. Please let me know if you have any recommendations to help me relieve these symptoms. I really can't believe that it has been 4 months and the symptoms have stayed exactly the same.

For the last few months I have not been taking any medications, OTCs, herbs, supplements.. all with the mind-set of letting my brain heal and recover. I have been trying to exercise more(1-3 days/week) and I have definitely been getting adequate rest.

More info:
27 y/o male
173 lbs
5'10"

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Fatigue and brain fog common and last for months or years for heavy long term users like myself. The other symptoms do not really come up much I've seen maybe something else going on. Since your a dietitian assume you eat healthy to me that's one of the most important things. Im personally doing keto myself seems to help a lot. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response. Keto and Time-restricted feeding has definitely provided me with more energy than I have ever had in my life which I'm very thankful for. (I eat between 12-7 only). 

As for the other symptoms, they just do not go away. I am beginning to accept it will just take time but I'm trying to collect as much information as I can.

" I got a head with no screws in it"-2pac

Looking back the fog was really apparent when commucating to others especially when it came to my job. Part was a total lack of confidence in myself off Adderall and the other part I truly blanked on a lot of subjects that I never use to in the past. It's gotten better just a very slow process. 

• Like 1

Hello robbi3,

I am similar as I have been off about 5mo now. The fatigue and brain fog are normal symptoms of the withdrawal. I forget to return calls, texts and simply just put things off and avoid stressful things. Short term memorization is shot however I am still wise in my areas of knowledge and have good long term memory. The fatigue is rough in the afternoon of most days. The scalp numbness is likely anxiety, I have had this sensation before. The head heaviness and dizziness I believe is from lowered dopamine output. I have days where it feels like I can hardly hold my head up when I am fatigued.

There are numerous articles on the internet on how stimulants/amphetamines over time tell your brain to make less dopamine. When we quit the addy and the stimulant is gone our dopamine levels are at an all time low, over time our brains re-adjust to increase output as well as stabilize with the lower levels. From my research it is unknown to me if we will ever have a fully restored dopamine system after addy however it does get better than this. Tyrosine seemed to help my energy levels a bit, I tool 5Htp for mild anxiety and melatonin to help sleep. Exercise is very helpful also, just don't over do it or your fatigue will be worse yet try to stay consistent. 

Beyond that you will have to decide if you need stronger meds for anxiety or depression and wean yourself off those later.  

4 hours ago, EricP said:

Hello robbi3,

I am similar as I have been off about 5mo now. The fatigue and brain fog are normal symptoms of the withdrawal. I forget to return calls, texts and simply just put things off and avoid stressful things. Short term memorization is shot however I am still wise in my areas of knowledge and have good long term memory. The fatigue is rough in the afternoon of most days. The scalp numbness is likely anxiety, I have had this sensation before. The head heaviness and dizziness I believe is from lowered dopamine output. I have days where it feels like I can hardly hold my head up when I am fatigued.

There are numerous articles on the internet on how stimulants/amphetamines over time tell your brain to make less dopamine. When we quit the addy and the stimulant is gone our dopamine levels are at an all time low, over time our brains re-adjust to increase output as well as stabilize with the lower levels. From my research it is unknown to me if we will ever have a fully restored dopamine system after addy however it does get better than this. Tyrosine seemed to help my energy levels a bit, I tool 5Htp for mild anxiety and melatonin to help sleep. Exercise is very helpful also, just don't over do it or your fatigue will be worse yet try to stay consistent. 

Beyond that you will have to decide if you need stronger meds for anxiety or depression and wean yourself off those later.  

Agree on most of what you said but be careful on choosing meds for anxiety or depression do your research. DO NOT BLINDLY TRUST YOUR DOCTOR! 

50 minutes ago, Frank B said:

Agree on most of what you said but be careful on choosing meds for anxiety or depression do your research. DO NOT BLINDLY TRUST YOUR DOCTOR! 

Agreed, most of us are on here because we trusted our doctor! Out of 5 different docs I have seen this year only 1 supports quitting the Addy... The remaining 4 believe I should resume taking it... 

I don't understand the support from doctors for taking this drug. Even when I look up research on adderall abuse, the only articles that come up are on college students who abuse adderall that wasn't prescribed to them or people who use crystal meth. There is so little in the literature about people who had difficulties with their own prescription. I don't understand the lack of research- I thought that amphetamines were the mostly widely studied class of psychiatric drugs.

• Like 1