QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Want to lower my bpm

Frank B

Ok got a app that shows my beats per minute. I avg around 85 bpm in non exercise mode. To me that seems high I’m 39 yrs old 5’9” weigh around 175. I’m sure years of adderall use probbably bumped it up wondering if anyone has successfully lowed theirs post adderall and what you did. Guessing I need to do more short sprint exercise runs something like that but not sure. 

Have you noticed a difference in and out of ketosis? I decided to give the ketogenic thing a try as well (and I love it), but it seriously blows my mind because every time I enter into ketosis (I test it), my bpm goes from ~57 to ~49 in a matter of a few days. Every time I knock myself out, it goes right back up again. I looked online and found a few people saying the same happens to them but still not sure how. Other than that, I think the best things are just cardio and not smoking. Weight loss if needed helps too. 

I agree, you need to use a fitbit to get an accurate resting heart rate.  If you just use the app on your phone, you might be checking it at a time you are slightly elevated.  The fitbit gets the most accurate resting bpm reading during sleep.  Plus its awesome to have a tracker to see your improvements.  Initially my resting heart rate was around 70 but as I've lost weight and done more and more weight training and cardio, I've got it down to below 60 on some days.

• Like 1

I use a blood oxygen sensor thing that clips on my fingertip.  My heart rate returned to 55-60 BPM within a year after quitting.  It averaged about twice that rate when I was on adderall.  Seriously, it was always 115-120 bpm and that was one if the factors that helped me to decide to quit for good.  It's your heart, after all, and what more important organ keeps you going?  Like running a car in second gear when fifth gear is available.....and motors that run higher RPM's have shorter lives with greater maintenance.    

16 hours ago, quit-once said:

I use a blood oxygen sensor thing that clips on my fingertip.  My heart rate returned to 55-60 BPM within a year after quitting.  It averaged about twice that rate when I was on adderall.  Seriously, it was always 115-120 bpm and that was one if the factors that helped me to decide to quit for good.  It's your heart, after all, and what more important organ keeps you going?  Like running a car in second gear when fifth gear is available.....and motors that run higher RPM's have shorter lives with greater maintenance.    

Yeah recall one morning taking mine in the doctors office after taking my morning dose. It was around 120 nurse asked if I sprinted into the office. But you know that’s perfectly safe give this medication to your preschool children, smh. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My avg heart rate went from 68 down to 60 last couple weeks. I’ve found the stair climber at the gym really raises it fast durning a work out so hit around 170-180 for about 15 minutes plus do weights other stuff. Anyways think I’m doing pretty good considering how much I abused my body. Sometimes I was taking so many pills destroying myself I like felt my my mom cry for me although she didn’t even know. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 11:13 PM, Frank B said:

My avg heart rate went from 68 down to 60 last couple weeks. I’ve found the stair climber at the gym really raises it fast durning a work out so hit around 170-180 for about 15 minutes plus do weights other stuff. Anyways think I’m doing pretty good considering how much I abused my body.

this is really encouraging. i was going to the gym consistently for probably 5 months or so when it was 2 minutes away from my house. then i moved about 15 minutes away.. and that was the end of that lol. (but of course they don't let you out of your membership contract!). but the new year is around the corner! (:

On 12/18/2017 at 11:13 PM, Frank B said:

Sometimes I was taking so many pills destroying myself I like felt my my mom cry for me although she didn’t even know. 

i know exactly what you mean. you're just sitting there, popping pills like candy, knowing full well every one of them is annihilating your health- you just wonder if your family or loved ones knew HOW MUCH damage you were doing to yourself.. what would they do? what would they say? this was the fear that eventually led me to quitting- fearing for my life.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I also agree with the cardio theory as the others have suggested above. I noticed over the course of 1yr, during which I engaged in regular cardio sessions 6 times a week, my resting HR went from an average of 70BPM down to 50-60BPM, often dropping into the low 40s whilst sleeping- (pre Adderall days.)

I noticed once I started using amphetamines, my resting pulse would sit anywhere between 90-110BPM. What is odd, is that after the first yr or so, despite increasing my dose constantly, I found my HR seemed to stabilise to a rate of 65-80BPM regardless to the amount of amphetamines consumed or whether I was having days off. Did anyone else notice that after a period of use (abuse) Adderall did not appear to illicit any impact on HR? I’m a little concerned about this and hoping I haven’t done some form of permanent damage. It’s probably not a good thing that my cardiovascular system has somehow compensated for this. 

I wouldn’t be to worried just yet. I have quit twice and both times I had odd cardiovascular symptoms in which both times I consulted and cardiologist. I often would drop low on heart rate and blood pressure however then find just the mildest exercise or stress and it would spike quickly. I am exercising a lot right now so my BPM is in the 50’s and stable overall. However it still surprises me how fast it can rocket up past 150 when beginning a workout. 

Another thing to test would be blood sugar levels. I noticed some spikes after quitting and sometimes even after fasting however every test for diabetes came back normal. 

• Like 1