QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Health issues 7ish months out

Addled

Hello, i am 7ish months clean & still experiencing bad acid reflux, burping, gas, trouble digesting food, water retention, and bloating. I was hoping these probs would be gone by now but i guess it takes some time if you were a long-term user. Any thoughts especially from those who recovered from adderall-related health probs are welcome! 

I had some weird stomach issues in the last months of using that got substantially worse after quitting in month 1-4... I do know lack of dopamine affects digestion, it is common in early parkinsons to have bad digestion, constipation etc. I think basically the digestive track slows down with lower dopamine levels. With time hopefully everything will normalize for you. Symptoms can last up to 1.5-2yrs in the meantime all you can do is treat your symptoms with diet, tums or whatever helps. 

My acid reflux was pretty bad, especially at night when I was trying to sleep.  Those symptoms lasted nearly two years after quitting.  I made a permanent change in my diet - like avoiding the white foods like sugar, flour and milk.  Even now, I can't really enjoy those foods like I once did.  I used to use sugar as a sleep aid when I took adderall.  Just yesterday, a delicious cinnamon roll caused a reflux issue for me.  As long as I watch what I eat, I don't have reflux and the side benefit is a healthier body and less belly fat.  Regarding antacids or medication for treating the reflux, I think that is just a band-aid approach and the real solution is diet modification. 

Regarding the gas and bloating, I have seen that symptom a lot around here, but mostly from our female members in recovery.

Yes always good to go to a doctor and rule things out.

I actually went and pushed to have every test, CT scan, endoscopy and colonoscopy and many blood tests. They really didn't find anything... All they came up with was if I am constipated eat more fiber and take MiraLAX, if I have acid issues take anti acids, probiotics recommended also. I did get them to agree that possibly stopping adderall has my system out of sync and potentially affecting the proper release of acids and digestive enzymes. 

My diet changes I believe helped a lot and with time has gotten a lot better. Some stomach symptoms can also be caused by stress as the withdrawal for me made me a bit paraniod and anxious. It is very common for stress to cause ulcers and other stomach problems.