QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Take Your Pills

Speeder906

I watched it yesterday. It definitely stirred up using thoughts in me, and I definitely see your point about glorifying the drug. However, I didn't find it as offensive as I'd have guessed. I like how it focused on the systemic societal issues that make us so production-driven. They didn't really cover an addiction story, just lightly glossed over the fact that it could happen. I wish they had had a recovering addict play a more central role. But it wasn't ALL terrible, just mostly IMO.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree, having people that are addicted would've had more impact. Especially for those college girls that didn't even think about adderall as a drug, just medication to help with school, I just wished they didn't get so much screen time. Wish more people like Eben who had his career ruined or Jasper who wanted off adderall. Other than that there's very little mention of addiction or long-term use. Mostly talks about how it works short-term. I think that's what bugged me the most. Was hoping it'd be like a more people driven doc, rather than presenting a problem with no suggestion for how to resolve it. 

It honestly made me want to get back on adderall, until I came to my senses.. lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Speeder906 said:

Other than that there's very little mention of addiction or long-term use. Mostly talks about how it works short-term. I think that's what bugged me the most.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it this way but you're exactly right. I feel exactly the same way. We have to stay strong!

• Like 1

i got around to watching this yesterday (snow day!).. it is definitely triggering so for those of you susceptible to this, be careful. that being said...

i thought it did a pretty good job of documenting the history of amphetamines and our society's growing obsession with productivity and speed. unfortunately it did an even BETTER job of glamorizing adderall. almost every story featured a proud, affluent, successful user. none of them were particularly concerned as to whether they actually had ADD or not- it's either a tool that everyone around you is using or the ends (success) justify the means.

this is definitely a polarizing film, but i understand why they chose not to speak about the abuse and addiction potential. this documentary isn't about the drug itself, it's about how our society got to this stage. it's the same reason why they chose not to highlight the benefits for "true ADHDers", it simply doesn't help their narrative.

there is not a single mention of the long term risk of dependency, there's maybe one passing story about a Wall Street yuppie that took too much and ended up in the hospital. we all know that's not the real danger of this drug.

TLDR. the take away message of this documentary seems to be: our society (for better or worse) values productivity. adderall makes you (or your child) effortlessly productive. everyone around you is using it to enhance their performance.

• Like 4

On 3/16/2018 at 4:54 PM, Speeder906 said:

In my opinion of course.. it’s garbage. Totally glorifies adderall. What did you guys think if you watched the documentary? 

I agree, I watched with a couple friends and family that some of them didn’t know I was a prior user. At the end of the show I would say most of the room even the ones that knew my deal was interested to “try it”. 

Sucks

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I thought the story about how many people are taking Adderall for performance in the financial world was interesting (they describe two of people working on a report while on Adderall, then one gets hospitalized for exhaustion, because: "The perfect employee at an investment bank or at a tech firm is somebody who doesn't say no.")

The doctor on the show fits the archetype of pill-pushing types that many here have encountered.

But it's true that they didn't seem to talk much in the film about the negative side effects.