QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Finally finding strength

SamJo

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Sam, the journey is long and hard but if you keep coming here and sharing, we will be here to offer help. It is the best decision in your life to quit. Stick with it and eventually things do get better. It just takes forever, don't give up and don't get back on vyvanse, it's not worth it.

• Like 4

@Danquit thank you! I’m just worried because reading about PAWS some websites say that ppl do never go back to normal bc of brain damage but I’ve only read that on one site and freaked myself out. I’m beginning month 4, yesterday I talked a lot and had a lot of opinions on things to say but today I feel like saying nothing and talking to no one and the only thing that helps is a glass of wine or a Xanax. I’m over thissssss. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SamJo said:

@Danquit thank you! I’m just worried because reading about PAWS some websites say that ppl do never go back to normal bc of brain damage but I’ve only read that on one site and freaked myself out. I’m beginning month 4, yesterday I talked a lot and had a lot of opinions on things to say but today I feel like saying nothing and talking to no one and the only thing that helps is a glass of wine or a Xanax. I’m over thissssss. 

I used to think that too in my early days but I just stayed off regardless, even if I do n’t go back to normal, at least I won’t be on Amphetamines. Now at two years clean, I can honestly tell you that I feel back to normal. I mean, I don’t know how I would be if I never took the stuff, but I do feel like my old self again. I’m kinda lazy, I have my humor back, I eat, I sleep, I work, I socialize, I am living my life and that’s what you’ll have if you stay off the vyvanse. 

There is no need to be whacked out on speed to live your life. We are here to experience the world and to have relationships and to have a little fun. Amphetamines will rob you of that and turn you into an uncaring, selfish, antisocial, manic, robot that thinks you’re the shit when in reality you are a lunatic.

• Like 2

@Danquit I totally feel you. And that gives me hope that you feel back to normal! My brain is just still so scattered and I can’t think of certain words sometimes and I’m like how can this still be happening after 4 months not being on the drug? I feel like I have dementia or something 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SamJo said:

@Danquit I totally feel you. And that gives me hope that you feel back to normal! My brain is just still so scattered and I can’t think of certain words sometimes and I’m like how can this still be happening after 4 months not being on the drug? I feel like I have dementia or something 

4 months is very early in the process. Everything you’re feeling is normal. Scatter brained, depressed, lazy, indecisive, those are all signs that your brain is slowly working to fix what the vyvanse changed. It is a slow process but it will get better. You will have to relearn how to live without it, every time you do something without the pills you will regain a bit of confidence. I mean everything, from taking a walk, to going out with some friends, talking to people, feeding yourself, laundry, all these things will slowly add up and one day you will look back and say “wow, that was all me” and that’s when you can enjoy your life again!

• Like 2

@Danquit so do you think it’s normal to feel like you have the symptoms of dementia sometimes (not as much as it was the first month) because of PAWS? My doctor wants to test me for dementia and I’m like ahhhh what if it comes out positive but it’s just the PAWS. When I was 17 I had a terrible eating disorder that lead me to lose my period for 2 years and my microvilli in my intestines collapsed so I now have celiac and at the time was losing all my hair bc of the undiagnosed celiac but the dermatologist told me I had alopecia which it turned out I didn’t I just had celiac and had to stop eating gluten. I’m just afraid of doctors giving me a diagnosis that isn’t true and believing it. I studied nutrition in college because of this and now I’m an actor/writer hoping to create a magical story with all that I’ve been through with addiction such as weight and now going through this (among other things as a young woman) but I pray and want to believe I can accomplish these things and that my brain will come back alive so that I actually can do it. I struggle to find strength all the time, especially living in LA. Sorry went on a rampage...thanks for listening!! 

lol, what's more likely: you have an extremely rare form of dementia with an onset 40 years too soon... or you're going through PAWS and have the exact same struggles that we've all had?

stay at it. as @Danquit said, 4 months is very early. its great that you're already having some good days- cherish them and it will help you ride out the bad days. then at some point, you will start having more good days than bad. that's all there is to it. (:

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 8:19 PM, SamJo said:

@Danquit so do you think it’s normal to feel like you have the symptoms of dementia sometimes (not as much as it was the first month) because of PAWS? My doctor wants to test me for dementia and I’m like ahhhh what if it comes out positive but it’s just the PAWS. When I was 17 I had a terrible eating disorder that lead me to lose my period for 2 years and my microvilli in my intestines collapsed so I now have celiac and at the time was losing all my hair bc of the undiagnosed celiac but the dermatologist told me I had alopecia which it turned out I didn’t I just had celiac and had to stop eating gluten. I’m just afraid of doctors giving me a diagnosis that isn’t true and believing it. I studied nutrition in college because of this and now I’m an actor/writer hoping to create a magical story with all that I’ve been through with addiction such as weight and now going through this (among other things as a young woman) but I pray and want to believe I can accomplish these things and that my brain will come back alive so that I actually can do it. I struggle to find strength all the time, especially living in LA. Sorry went on a rampage...thanks for listening!! 

I’ve been reading your posts and relate the the dementia type stuff. It would actually be more like MCI (mild cognitive impairment) as dementia is much worse. I will probably get tested to at least know my baseline and see if it inproves or gets worse with time. At 4mo you are likely too early for this testing IMO... I am at a year and maybe still too early... My memory and thinking capabilities is pretty good some days then really bad on others for no rhym or reason. Same sleep, good diet, vitamins and exercise stable and yet will still get a bad day or two out of nowhere... I have been assuming my brain chemical are still fighting finding the balance however it is frustrating and concerning for sure! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sleepystupid said:

lol, what's more likely: you have an extremely rare form of dementia with an onset 40 years too soon... or you're going through PAWS and have the exact same struggles that we've all had?

stay at it. as @Danquit said, 4 months is very early. its great that you're already having some good days- cherish them and it will help you ride out the bad days. then at some point, you will start having more good days than bad. that's all there is to it. (:

You’re right, I’m only 27 and a bit of a hypochondriac I suppose lol. I’m just waiting for that day I feel so clear headed and excited about life I’m just like okayyyy any day now!! 

• Like 2