QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Adderall VS pain pills

KimR

Why is prescription pain medication addiction getting so much attention and Adderall is not. 

Has Adderall even been on an episode of Intervention? How often does the term 'Adderall abuse'  ever get mentioned in the media? 

Why is this not being talked about? Why can I call my doctor's nurse and demand an increase and get it easily, while after having surgery be asked "Ibuprofen or Tylenol?" 

Is anyone else bothered by this? 

• Like 3

I have no doubt whatsoever that there will be lawsuits related to overprescribing Adderall.  Its coming. Opioid abuse still dominates the media, but Adderall has to be coming next.  Any idiot can go to a doctor and repeat a few generic phrases "I can't concentrate" "my work life is suffering" and get a prescription 2 seconds later.  My psychiatrist told me a couple visits ago they no longer prescribe anything but XR stimulants due to "potential abuse."  First of all, you can abuse the XR.  Secondly,  I could still get the regular ones from my GP.  Now that I've told both of them of my abuse, I cant get either. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bobcostas281 said:

I have no doubt whatsoever that there will be lawsuits related to overprescribing Adderall.  Its coming. Opioid abuse still dominates the media, but Adderall has to be coming next.  Any idiot can go to a doctor and repeat a few generic phrases "I can't concentrate" "my work life is suffering" and get a prescription 2 seconds later.  My psychiatrist told me a couple visits ago they no longer prescribe anything but XR stimulants due to "potential abuse."  First of all, you can abuse the XR.  Secondly,  I could still get the regular ones from my GP.  Now that I've told both of them of my abuse, I cant get either. 

I was still being prescribed IR and I just quit this month. It seems like physicians are not on the same page about anything with this drug. I work at a doc office that requires a checkup every 3 months before we prescribe more, but I personally have never been asked to have a follow up apt with this drug since being prescribed years ago. I recently recommended to our office that it could be a good idea for patients coming in to “discuss ADD/ADHD” to fill out a PHQ9 (a quick depression questionnaire) because depression can cause ADD/ADHD like symptoms and I was nearly fired. They looked at me like I was an idiot. The whole thing is such a mess I’m questioning if I should change my major. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2018 at 1:35 AM, KimR said:

Why is prescription pain medication addiction getting so much attention and Adderall is not. 

the simple answer is that opioid overdoses lead to death much more frequently than meth (and Adderall by association). that is main concern with the opioid epidemic.

i haven't seen all episodes of Intervention, but i do remember a very relatable episode about a guy on meth. 

• Like 1

The most I've been prescribed daily, at different times the last few years,  Adderall XR 40mg, Adderall IR 70mg, Focalin ER 20mg, and Vyvanse 70mg. 

My psychiatrist has always put my ADD front and center, although I originally started seeing him for crippling anxiety and panic attacks. 

Personally, I think ADD is bull. I was told my anxiety was being caused by ADD. The first two years my anxiety was better, but the medication eventually made it 10x worse. 

And my psychiatrist is actually a good guy who never seems to be drug pushing. 

It's like he's unaware it could ever become such a problem. 

• Like 1