QuittingAdderall.com Forums

What do you think?

KimR

What do you think is the percentage of adults prescribed Adderall who have never abused it? And I'm not talking about just major abuse like snorting it or staying up for 48 hours — I'm talking about even once taking more than they were supposed to, say for an exam or business presentation. 

Interested to hear everyone's input. 

I’d say there is a small percentage of people who have never abused it. This is based on my personal experience and talking with people who are prescribed Adderall, most of them have abused it at one time or another. It’s the nature of the drug, you can’t help but want to take more and more.

• Like 2

I never took more than prescribed on purpose.  I took 40 mg per day for 12 years.

One time I forgot that I already took my noon dose and popped another 20 mg but I didn’t feel much different with the increased dose probably because I had a hell of a tolerance.  

I was scared to take more then I was supposed to of Adderall but I abused other things like alcohol and cannibus pretty hard throughout my addiction. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Subtracterall said:

I never took more than prescribed on purpose.  I took 40 mg per day for 12 years.

Mad props! That's will power. 

I was prescribed 70mg a day IR at my highest. When my doctor switched me back to 40 I continued to take 70. Dumb idea. I didn't feel like I was "abusing it" because I thought of it as my right to choose my dose. Stupid. 

That was a few years ago, before marriage and kids. When Adderall seemed necessary in all aspects of my life. 

I have bad anxiety, so taking more than prescribed usually just ended in anxiety attacks followed by deep regret. 

Everyone I know who is prescribed it takes more than their dose, at least from time to time. 

I don't remember exceeding 40 MG of IR a day.  2 x 20 IR a day.  I think I may have taken an extra 10MG by cutting them in half if I had had a really late night of drinking to much. Exceeding 40mg was rare.  A big problem for me was that Adderall accelerated my use of alcohol and nicotine to an extreme degree.   *I would argue that 40 MG of Speed every day for years on end is abuse in itself regardless if it was following the parameters of a prescription or not....

• Like 3

It might be more people than you think. I took adderall 7 years and only went over my prescribed dose once. I took 25 mg XR in the morning and 10 mg IR in the afternoon. One day I had a ton of work to do and took 25 in the morning and then at night. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack, I was so cracked out. I couldn’t imagine doing that again. I was also just kind of scared to go over the prescribed dose. 

I really didn't like the way I felt the few times I exceeded the 40 MG of IR Per Day.  I felt like I was going to grind my teeth right out of my head..........but 40 MG a day of speed every day for a decade was clearly abuse and it abused me.  It completely warped my perception of the world and caused me to make bad decisions very efficiently.  Getting off of it was the hardest thing I have ever done.  Even the most mundane tasks like making a phone call or brushing my teeth felt like a monumental undertaking....... 

• Like 3