QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Two Years!

Cheeri0

Happy for you! Coming up on 17 months and just started a new job and I'm planning to complete my bachelors next semester. Super nervous about my ability to finish this degree that demands 40-50 hours a week "chemical engineering". I relied heavily on adderall to get to my senior year then I went psychotic and dropped out to get clean and save my life.  It's nice to see you were able to finish your degree. I hope I can do the same! I'm finally feeling better with this job even though it's just to fill my time till I finish school. I hope to be in your shoes when I hit two years! You've given me hope and something to aim for! If all goes as planned I'll have graduated and landed a job making about the same and hopefully be living my own!! Again, I'm so happy for you and hope to share a similar experience:)

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the support! Couldn't have done it without y'all.

@LILTEX41 I work as a data scientist / database architect / software developer. I mostly work in SQL, R, Python, and Excel. I learned most of those skills at an internship I got right after I got clean. It was 7.50 an hour while I lived with my parents and college wouldn't take me back yet. Paid off in the end though!

@LiberatedMind Keep at it! Accept the hard days and learn how to feel pain. I promise struggle with come, even after some time sober. You just have to learn how to get through the shittiest days without leaning on pills and you'll be fine :)

@SeanW Awesome Sean, that sounds like a great plan. Yeah if I'm being completely honest, of everything I've been through in my after-adderall journey, the two things that were the hardest were school and being dumped. I cried and cried and cried over papers. I felt like I couldn't do them anymore because my brain was broken. I felt dumb and useless and miserable for most of the time while I was in class/working on homework. That never really went away :( I just did it over and over again until I didn't have to do it anymore. Work is a MILLION times easier than school. I seriously hated it - just gotta accept it as a stepping stone.

• Like 2

I think your post is going to help inspire so many people!  And I love love love that you persevered through the hard times and look at you now!  Even though I might've drifted backwards in my recovery in the past year or so it is still heart warming to see people recover on this site and know that everyone here had an integral part of your success.  I think of where I should and could be now had I not have slid backwards, but what I always tell myself no matter what happens and my advice to anyone with addiction is just never ever give up.  Fall off, get right back on track.  And even though it's a hit to the ego to come back and admit it to everyone, at least you're back on the right path and will have a bright future again.  I think what happened to me is I got caught up with too many drinking friends and got disconnected from my support groups.  Peer influence is so critical.  Your post has and is going to generate so much positivity on this site so I hope we can reignite it once again and get more traffic.  We all have something to offer one another here and it is only by sharing our experience can we be helpful to someone else.  Success stories like yours are the glue that keeps people coming back and offering them hope. :)   I hope that by my experience, others that have taken two steps back will come forward with me and get back on track.  It's never too late to pick up where you left off and live in a way that makes you proud of yourself and happy.  Thank you for sharing all of your successes with us and I hope you continue to do so in the future.  You're an inspiration!  

<3 LT

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The “I was cleaning my closest tomorrow” for seven years made me laugh in the best yet saddest way because I know EXACTLY what you mean! I did/have been doing the same thing. FUCKING CONGRATS on 2 years and thank you for this inspiring post that I NEEDED! The brain is always repairable and we all have to remember that in our recovery. 

• Like 2