QuittingAdderall.com Forums

8 months and 21 days clean off 17 years of adderall/dexedrine abuse...

ladypantz

I'm glad you've made it this far. You're doing great. I'm at a year and a half sober but I still drink occasionally. I struggle everyday feeling empty and with terrible anhedonia. The only thing I know to do after struggling this long with these feelings is to do something. When I start feeling and thinking that way I just get up and find something to do or I'll just sit and feel terrible. I force myself everyday to hit the gym. I get waves of heart break pain where I'm so sick and tired of fighting this fight. I've became so familiar with these moments when I start feeling this way Ill do anything I can to distract myself. I also would like to see someone but I don't have the motivation and don't feel worthy or that I'm not in good enough shape to. I just keep telling myself this can't last forever. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply Sean.  I gained a lot of weight too, and it has made me lose a lot of confidence.  I only gained 25 pounds since quitting, but I was already overweight by about 15-20 pounds.  The thought of going on dating apps and stuff makes me anxious.  I have tried for a few minutes at a time. I used to play a lot of video games but I don't even have the motivation to do that anymore.  Basically all I do is sleep, youtube, reddit, TV, work, repeat.  My days off go by and I don't get anything done.  What kind of stuff helps you feel better?

• Like 1

I can relate to all that. I gained 45 pounds after quitting which was so bad because I was six foot 3 and only weighed 155. I was so sick. I looked near death. I'm now 200 and healthy. I've messed around on dating apps here and there too. Music is a big part of my life. I play guitar and drums and sing and while I was using I was set on being a famous musician but that obviously didn't pan out. I still play guitar and sing and a lot of times I have no desire or motivation to do it but I make myself because music seems to have some magical effect once I start I usually feel better. I love just listening to music too. Since quitting I've binge watched a lot of tv, spend a lot of time on social media, and occasionally go out. I've recently started to really enjoy going out on the weekend for some drinks and meeting people. Being outside really helps too. Going for a walk in nature or just sitting outside and listening to the birds and what not helps. I spend a lot of off days just sitting around too but I try not to be too hard on myself. Having that huge expectation that you have to get this and that done can really weigh you down and cause you grief. You have to be kind to yourself and realize that all you can do is all you can do. If you need to just lay around that's okay just do what you can. 

• Like 3

On 11/12/2018 at 10:11 PM, SeanW said:

I'm glad you've made it this far. You're doing great. I'm at a year and a half sober but I still drink occasionally. I struggle everyday feeling empty and with terrible anhedonia. The only thing I know to do after struggling this long with these feelings is to do something. When I start feeling and thinking that way I just get up and find something to do or I'll just sit and feel terrible. I force myself everyday to hit the gym. I get waves of heart break pain where I'm so sick and tired of fighting this fight. I've became so familiar with these moments when I start feeling this way Ill do anything I can to distract myself. I also would like to see someone but I don't have the motivation and don't feel worthy or that I'm not in good enough shape to. I just keep telling myself this can't last forever. 

Great advice!  About getting up and doing something !  Anything.  When the bad comes it's hard to remember the good, for me anyway.  Going to the gym first thing in am definitely helps me, I don't kill it, but just getting there is huge.  Sometimes it really is about the little things.

Good luck to us all.

• Like 1