QuittingAdderall.com Forums

My Adderall Rx, how it DESTROYED my life, my family, marriage of 19 years

Lachesis Atropos

I was prescribed adderall by my family doctor, after seeing a psychologist as required. In truth, the adderall had no real affect on me other than lack of sleep and loss of appetite. I lost approx 5 Ibs without much effort, and my wife of 19 years noticed this quickly. To be clear, I did not have a weight issue, however, my wife believed she had an issue with weight. She asked if she could try my prescription at a lower dose to see if it would work on her, then she would pursue the doctor for her prescription. I was hesitant to do this, but she was adamant she try the adderall just for several days, to make sure she doesn't waste her time going to the doctor. I relented, a huge mistake. The adderall had the desired affect, she lost weight quickly. But something else happened, her personality changed almost immediately. I truly believe this was the marking point of the end of our marriage, her personality/psychology was permanently altered. I stopped giving her the adderall, she was supposed to see our doctor to obtain her own Rx. Over several months i still received my adderall Rx, but rarely used it, and I stored it away. After the Rx ran out, I stopped obtaining refills. As for my wife, her behavior had changed for the worse. While on a business trip, I received a call from her out of nowhere, asking for a divorce! I was in complete shock, in disbelief. I ended by business trip to return home, my bank accounts emptied, the house empty of her belongings. In addition, by adderall that I had stored away, was all missing. My spouse was no longer the wife I remembered, and what she did to destroy me was unbelievable. I had hired a PI to gather more information, and it turned out that she had had over 4 affairs, one of which was an attorney that worked at the the same office she did. Apparently, for at least a year, she was preparing for the divorce. I even found papers where she was going to have me removed from our house, the house I paid for, mortgage under my name, under the pretense that I was violent or physically abusive - all lies. She confessed to me that she decided not to, because she did not want our son to see me go to jail. According to my attorney, the real reason was that she would eventually go to prison for lying on a government document, deceiving the court. 

There is much more to this, this is obviously an abbreviated version of events. When I look back at the horrors, brushes with death I've endured while in a military environment, I would prefer to relive the Hell I went through, almost at death's door, rather than going through what my alleged spouse put me through. After 5 years, I can now say thank God! I'm starting a new life, hopefully a new family. I truly believe adderall's affect on one individual to the next can be very different, and possibly very destructive. I lost a total of 24 years of my life, and thank God I'm barely young enough to start over. My ex-wife's family are still close to me, and they no longer communicate with her at all. My anger and resentment is replaced by the knowledge that God will take care of everything, and everyone involved. 

• Like 4

Sorry to hear all this. This drug can turn a person into somebody you don’t know;I’ve seen it firsthand.

How long has your ex-wife been on Adderall? I came to this site a couple weeks ago looking for answers for my own marriage or the demise of my marriage I should say.  A lot of people talk about a honeymoon period from this drug, so I was just curious on how long your exwife’s been using it?

• Like 2

My ex-wife, as far as I know, was on adderall for a period of 3 - 6 months. It was my understanding her doctor would not prescribe it. However, the people she now associates with would certainly be able to obtain adderall for her. I have not spoken to her for over 5 years, so I really do not know. According to friends I have locally, who are in LE, she is frequently around people of questionable character, known perps.  From what I've researched, it appears that the affects of this drug, on certain people, is permanent. As far as I know, If she is taking adderall now, it would probably be the only drug she abuses...but who knows? She is the type of person who is easily manipulated by others, a very weak mind.Add to this the psychological history of her mother....? So many factors to consider.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m so sorry to hear this. My husband is a recovering alcoholic and his doctor put him in Adderall. He completely changed, the man I married has disappeared. He told me he didn’t love me and he didn’t want to be married to me anymore. We have known & loved each other since we were kids and finally after 35 years and different marriages we got to be together. Every one who knows us is in shock, people have told us you could feel the love we have for each other. We have only been married 4 years and we were very happy. He refuses to believe it’s the Adderall and it’s just how he feels. He did tell me the doctor was slowly taking him off the Adderall (I think misty because his AA sponsor told him he is not technically sober on Adderall) & for the first time in the last 2 months he sounds a little like himself again, even telling me he doesn’t know what he is doing. But then he calls again & sounds like Adderall Jerk. I’m at a loss, I love him and am willing to do what it takes to put our marriage back together. Is this normal behavior when coming off this crud? How long does it take before you feel normal again? We live in different states now so it’s only phone calls.

• Sad 1