QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How You’ve Dealt With Friends in Recovery

JF99

I’m curious how you have all dealt with friendships and relationships during recovery.

I am currently 46 days clean. During my first week of withdrawals, one of my best friends completely cut me off without explanation. I believe it is due to the fact that I lashed out at him about money he owed me. (Lesson learned: I’ll never loan out money again.)

Lashing out was completely out of character for me and I’ve apologized for it since. What I didn’t do is tell him why I believe it happened. I was a basket case that first week off of Adderall. This is a drug I’ve been prescribed for many years. After 45 days of reflection, I’m ashamed of how I behaved in this manner.

Should I explain this? ...or just let it go?

I’m just curious how you have all dealt with these out of character scenarios that are similar to mine. How open are you about the recovery process?

In my experience explaining myself to people I have wronged doesn’t give me relief from shame and guilt. The best thing you can do is apologize, do whatever you can to make it right if necessary, and do better next time.

I’m open with close friends/family and support groups about my recovery. I’m willing to help people who are struggling by telling my story, but for the most part I don’t talk about recovery with acquaintances. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 2:53 PM, BK99 said:

Frank,

$200. I loaned it back in September. 

I believe he should have paid u back or at least given u a heads up about it by now. If he’s offended but hasnt offered payment or given some timeline I sure wouldn’t feel too bad about it. 

Im open on here and open when I attend NA about my recovery. But honestly nobody understands at all what this is like. I mean u go to rehab for opioids or booze u get a fucking big thumbs up from society. But quitting this shit people are like wtf is wrong with u fucking lazy ass get back to work! It’s really hard to deal with that when you’ve been the complete opposite for so long on this medication. I wish more help would become available for people quitting it’s very hard but your in the right place with people who know what your dealing with. 

• Like 3