QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Mom- 22 mo clean after 13 years

Kiki

That is great Kiki! Your symptoms while on Adderall sound a lot like mine. I definitely relate to the symptoms you had while on Adderall and the desire to drink a bottle of wine a night. 

How soon did the physical symptoms disappear for you? I am not quite at 22mo yet but close and still have odd physical symptoms that are lingering. 

Congrats again on your progress and thank you for sharing!!

• Like 2

@EricP yes adderall basically turned me into a raging alcoholic it was horrible. I wouldn’t eat all day, then I would drink all night. It makes me cringe when I think of all the embarrassment and things that happened along the years because of this. 

As far as health issues it’s hard to say how long it actually took because of being pregnant at the same time. The circulation issues resolved almost immediately and my bp did go back to normal right after being pregnant. Like I said i still am going through some memory issues/brain fog even at 22mo and I do have some anxiety, but these have drastically improved since quitting. I do take l-tyrosine it seems to help. I know I burned a lot of brain receptors in those 13years but I am hopeful things will continue to get better! 

Congrats to you too and thanks :-) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Your story reads like mine, only I don’t have a baby yet and I abused Lyrica instead of wine. As a nurse, I should have known better but I kept making dumb excuses.  

congrats on getting off adderall. You are going to be a way better mum and role model for your child then you ever could be on adderall. You will also be around a lot longer as a result of quitting and all this exercise and healthy eating! 

@Socially awkward I could go on the longest rant about adderall in the medical field! Like here work 12 hour shifts with no lunch break, always understaffed, always non-stop craziness. Its no surprise so many nurses and doctors are hooked on this shit. 

Im definitely scared to return to work, and haven't  done so yet because of the insane work environment's I've been exposed to in the past. I still have thoughts of "how could I work so hard/fast without adderall". Ive been able to do tutoring to nursing students taking the NCLEX and that has been fine, so Id like to think Im taking baby steps. Do you have any tips or advice you can give me as a nurse?

Also congrats to you too, Im sure Lyrica was hard to let go of as well. Thats a double wammy, awesome job getting clean and keep up the good work!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kiki said:

I could go on the longest rant about adderall in the medical field! Like here work 12 hour shifts with no lunch break, always understaffed, always non-stop craziness. Its no surprise so many nurses and doctors are hooked on this shit. 

the alarming thing about this is that healthcare providers are notoriously overworked and often sleep deprived - not very comforting when their jobs directly affect the well being of others!!! it's a broken system for sure.

21 hours ago, Kiki said:

Im definitely scared to return to work, and haven't  done so yet because of the insane work environment's I've been exposed to in the past. I still have thoughts of "how could I work so hard/fast without adderall".

this is certainly one of the scariest hurdles to overcome. it can feel like there's no way to ever match those Adderall levels of productivity - but something to keep in mind is that Adderall speeds up your perception of everything, but especially time. the day seems to pass so quickly while on speed, it feels like you never have time to get everything done. once you quit and hit the brakes hard, you'll notice how slow time feels. granted in early recovery you won't feel like actually doing anything with that time, but eventually you will regain productivity and realize there's more than enough time in the day to get shit done (:

• Like 4

On 19/03/2019 at 1:19 AM, Kiki said:

Im definitely scared to return to work, and haven't  done so yet because of the insane work environment's I've been exposed to in the past. I still have thoughts of "how could I work so hard/fast without adderall". Ive been able to do tutoring to nursing students taking the NCLEX and that has been fine, so Id like to think Im taking baby steps. Do you have any tips or advice you can give me as a nurse?

@Kiki I wish I had some tips/advice. I’ve had to take 5weeks off work to recover. I made up some lame excuse to get the time off and I have actually flown to Indonesia (currently here now) to the one country where I know this drug is illegal. It might sound a bit extreme but I felt having an absolute lack of access to this drug is the only way I know I can get clean. 

im also scared about returning to work and even contemplating quitting my job indefinitely. I just dont feel I can work as fast or efficiently without my drugs. We work anywhere for 12-18hrs shifts and we often don’t eat anything. Im also economical with the amount of water I consume To avoid toilet trips as it’s not possible to walk away and leave a patient unattended on life support. I feel half the reason I abused Dexamphetamine for so long was to ward off hunger and work these stupid hrs without needing to sleep. Some of the staff practice intermittent fasting as opposed to taking stimulants but I can’t seem to last that long without food. Sadly, Dex in addition to Ritalin are heavily abused amongst many of us in the workplace. However, I’d rather give up my job than continue to abuse amphetamines until it eventually costs me my life! If I find something that does work/help I’ll post back and let you know. I’m wondering if sleep might be the key to surviving this lifestyle? I’d often not sleep for days at a time and lucky to average 2 hrs a night max. 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2019 at 11:25 PM, sleepystupid said:

the alarming thing about this is that healthcare providers are notoriously overworked and often sleep deprived - not very comforting when their jobs directly affect the well being of others!!! it's a broken system for sure.

this is certainly one of the scariest hurdles to overcome. it can feel like there's no way to ever match those Adderall levels of productivity - but something to keep in mind is that Adderall speeds up your perception of everything, but especially time. the day seems to pass so quickly while on speed, it feels like you never have time to get everything done. once you quit and hit the brakes hard, you'll notice how slow time feels. granted in early recovery you won't feel like actually doing anything with that time, but eventually you will regain productivity and realize there's more than enough time in the day to get shit done (:

@sleepystupid yes! I agree with you 100%. I never had time for anything, I was always so busy being productive and I’d literally rip someone’s head of if they dared interrupt me from my important work (which no longer seems so important now)

Im not even 3 weeks clean yet and I already feel I have so much time on my hands it’s driving me insane. I’ve also aquired tendinitis in my ankle which means I can’t exercise or be as active as I’d like to be. I complained to my dad about my poor foot and he laughed and simply said it’s natures way of forcing me to slow down before I give myself a heart attack. He thinks it’s a blessing that I may now be forced to find calmness and stillness in my life. I’ve rarely known the old man to be wrong but I’m still finding everything to be quite frustrating at the moment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Socially awkward said:

I just dont feel I can work as fast or efficiently without my drugs. We work anywhere for 12-18hrs shifts and we often don’t eat anything. Im also economical with the amount of water I consume To avoid toilet trips as it’s not possible to walk away and leave a patient unattended on life support. I feel half the reason I abused Dexamphetamine for so long was to ward off hunger and work these stupid hrs without needing to sleep.

i'm sorry to hear this, it sounds like a miserable job experience!

coming back to my earlier point about distorted perception, is it possible that you enforced these behaviors on yourself, even though it was never actually expected of you? there's no way an employer should be able to restrict bathroom breaks or encourage people not to take lunch breaks! :lol:

distorted expectations - a very common theme with Adderall abuse.

• Like 3

@sleepystupidThank you for sharing that point of time reference. It’s so true-time off of speed is actual time felt. Now what I need to work on is using my time efficiently. Making a list for daily activities had helped me recently, so I’m sure incorporating that into work would help with time management as well. Thank you for your insight! 

@Socially awkwardWow Indonesia seems like a beautiful place to recover! I don’t think it’s that extreme at all, I think everyone has their own way of doing things and only you know yourself the best, as well as what’s likely to work for you.  I actually  took a cross country road trip when I quit for three weeks- luckily my husband was able to do all the driving but a change in scenery and culture can really help your mind focus on other things besides everything you are experiencing with your withdraw. 

As far as taking adderall as an appetite suppressant, this was me 100% as well. 

I did get decent sleep surprising my time of use but I attribute that to drinking so much and just pure exhaustion on my body from being overworked/malnourished.

ps-I apologize for

the weird text and my lack of format. I’ve been traveling this week and can’t seem to figure things easily on my phone. I hope everyone has a good weekend! 

• Like 1

@sleepystupid I feel it is a bit of both. They are pretty happy for us to not take breaks and you need to be fairly assertive and keep asking for them when the unit is busy (which is 90% of the time). I was never assertive and never pushed for a meal break as the Dex made me want to work 100% of the time. I’m not the only one, half of my colleagues don’t take breaks either. I know one of them takes Ritalin, Im not sure about the others.

@Kiki a road trip sounds like a fantastic idea in the early recovery phase. I find being away from my familiar environment and regular activities that I associate with amphetamines has helped me stay clean for 3 weeks now. I am pretty sure I’d have relapsed by now if I were still am home. I do miss the appetite suppressing effect. I’ve gained so much weight in this past 3 weeks I don’t recognise myself! I can hardly even hold myself in plank position during yoga anymore as I feel my arms aren’t strong enough to support my fat torso. 

@Socially awkward give yourself time! You just need to accept that you will gain weight at first. It will take time for sure. I’m still 10 pounds heavier than I was at my adderall weight (I initially gained 60 pounds- but I was pregnant so I think that helped me with just accepting it) but I’m ok with being a tad curvier and healthier rather thinner and sicker! You will feel better in time. Try to eat clean and move your body when you can. 

Another benefit of quitting is my skin looks sooo much better- no more cystic acne and green tinge! 

• Like 1

@Kiki despite being a hell of a lot lazier and fairly inactive, I must say overall I’m feeling a lot better and my disgusting back acne has completely vanished without a trace!  A few family members have actually commented that I am looking a lot trimmer in my holiday snaps. I’m certainly eating a lot more but it’s all fresh organic produce as opposed to the highly processed crap I was consuming before I quit. I’m wondering if the weight gain is more mental than anything? Guess I’ll know when I step back on the scales in 2 weeks time. If becoming fat is what it takes to quit then I best start shopping for some new clothes! I practically own nothing that isn’t active wear :)