QuittingAdderall.com Forums

All of you should do journaling

Clavicula

I quit Adderall about a month ago, and tried to quit multiple times before that. The thing that has helped me actually quit, is JOURNALING. My routine is to do journaling every day. Every day I read a bit of Carl Jung and do an introspective journaling/meditation based on the writing that I read. This intense psychoanalysis of myself has helped me examine the reasons why I used in the first place. Then, I do a journal entry using evidence based cognitive behavioral therapy or dialectical behavioral therapy skills. This helps me put the deep unveiling of the psychodynamic journaling into a pragmatic practice for my daily life. I also use a separate journal to track and plan out my day to be productive. It's been incredibly helpful. I go to therapy, and the bulk of my therapy session is spent talking about the journal entries of that week. But journaling on its own is a great alternative to psychotherapy. Let's face it, addiction and mental illness are deeply intertwined. I refuse to believe anyone starts using these drugs unless they have a deep-seated psychological reason, a wound of the soul that they are trying to fill. I genuinely feel absolutely no cravings, and I'm feeling minimal withdrawal depression, because of this therapeutic journaling practice. Give it a shot.

• Like 4

this is excellent advice - writing is perhaps the most effective therapeutic activity that everyone acknowledges but few actually do :lol:

i am admittedly lazy with my writing these days, but something that helped me tremendously in the past was a site called https://750words.com/

don't worry - you don't actually have to write 750 words a day lol, but the awesome thing about this platform is that it actually tracks and analyzes your writing (not in a creepy way) so you can see common feelings, themes and mindsets that emerge from your entries.

first month is free, after that it's $5, but its totally worth it!

750-feelings.png

750-mindset.png

• Like 1

I'm on day 11 (off medication) and feel like a total train wreck. I have tried journaling in the past but have not found a structure or process that makes sense and works for me. I've tried:

• Making a list of things causing me anxiety or other negative feelings
  • Gratitude (listing things you're grateful for)
  • Re-framing (trying to find a positive aspect to a negative thought or situation)
  • Reflecting on positive thoughts, words, and actions from each day

None of those things have really stuck a cord with me though. I've also just tried writing down my random thoughts but that was a complete disaster. I wouldn't even begin to attempt it at this point being off the pills. I don't think the hardcore psychoanalysis is going to be right for me either. My goal is to keep it old school and physically write in a book. I'm trying to avoid any screen time at the end of the day or first thing in the morning. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums @ealbrecht09. I’ve struggled with traditional journaling as well. Over time this forum has become my atypical journal. Reading other members’ posts helps me collect my thoughts and better understand what I am feeling, then I am able to post my experience and thoughts for others who are suffering. For me, this way of thinking has been highly motivating and assigns greater significance to my writings. Good luck on your journey.

• Like 1