QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Limitless--the movie

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw this movie last night, and I have to say, although it was a typical hollywood thriller it had its moments of insight into the world of adderall. The movie did a nice job of capturing the thrill of experiencing your ultimate potential and free fall back down to reality.

Overall it was a decent movie, and a must see for recovering adderall users.

Being that I had the day off, I read this post and went to see the movie an hour later. WOW, yeah I agree with you guys! The writer had to have come across adderall - for real! At first I was starting to feel unhappy in the beginning when the guy cleaned up his place and wrote his novel in four days. I was thinking, god I miss those adderall days as I was reflecting on the fact I'd just left my slightly messy apt. and got into my slightly messy car to abandon all my chores to see a movie. LOL I don't want to ruin it for anyone else, but I was a tad disappointed and confused by the ending. For anyone else who hasn't seen it - go check it out! :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

herei just saw this!

Adderall MUST have been the inspiration for it. Too similar. Like in the movie, I, too, have completely ripped apart my house looking for just one more pill...(sigh)

I actually liked the ending a lot. Don't want to spoil it. But personally I took a good valuable lesson from it.

BTW, I just saw this. It's actor Bradley Cooper's response to a question about Limitless and Adderall...

Q: Can you speak to the aspect of prescription drugs being so available to kids, like Adderall and Ritalin.

Bradley Cooper: Well in terms of this movie whether it helps to provoke questions and conversations like that. I didn’t set out to do that as the actor and I found this movie being a compelling story about power and what you do with power much more than drugs. It goes from a guy who all of a sudden has power and how he utilizes that power over other people and over what he can accomplish, and when you abuse it and whether you treat it with respect. Now if a drug can be equated with power then it becomes a conversation about the drug, but nothing specific to that.

The full interview is here

http://www.celebrityeverything.com/?page_id=4405

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I just watched the TV show based on the movie which is already up online on the cbs website. And just in general, i thought the quality of the show, the writing all that stunk...

For those not familiar with limitless, it's about a guy who takes a pill called NZT-48 and gains "adderall inspired" abilities..

it was definitely showing the ideal version of our adderall selves that we envisioned ourselves to be...but were not really at all as we've come to discuss on the forums...but i found myself laughing through it because adderall doesn't do any of those things depicted on the show --- but we truly felt like it did when we were taking it. 

The real show about adderall would be very, very boring... 

• Like 1

I didn't find the movie all that great, however the premise was really cool (I watched it before I had ever even heard of adderall).  I feel like watching the show would probably be a trigger for me, due to exactly what you described - only showing the unrealistic romantic view of the pills.

• Like 2

I didn't find the movie all that great, however the premise was really cool (I watched it before I had ever even heard of adderall).  I feel like watching the show would probably be a trigger for me, due to exactly what you described - only showing the unrealistic romantic view of the pills.

yeah I was about to say that this show could be triggery...and if you are just quitting or in a borderline place to stay away....

it did give me some withdrawal pangs. I feel like i could handle it though..and i was definitely 'hate-watching' it if there's any way to describe that.

As a show, The premise is dumb though - he is the only one in the world who is immune to the side effects of NZT, So the FBI enlists him to start taking pills and help them solve crimes and catch bad guys.

yeah its like every adderallic's dream.  To be the only one who is immune to the side effects

"NO Im too smart to be addicted.  I'll just take a little bit now and again."

Yeah I definitely know what you mean by hate-watching.  That's how I watched Requiem for a Dream.  As pathetic as it sounds, watching the scenes with the old lady destroying herself triggered cravings for me.  Granted I hadn't quit yet, so at the time my mindset was less strong.

But the sad reality for me right now is I find that even the most innocent thoughts can degenerate into destructive thinking.  I caught myself yesterday thinking something like:

"Man a year ago today I was probably doing the exact same thing as right now but with twitchy legs, gnashing teeth, clenched jaw, and paranoid delusions."

"Sure glad I'm not like that anymore."

"Ahhh...  I feel so calm now.  A year ago I could have only dreamt of feeling like I feel right now."

"I used to just rush out of work, avoid seeing anyone I knew, and fly straight home on the train as fast as I could just to hide in my room and resume my destructive habits."

At this point, the memory of the "train ride home" ritual starts to trigger elevated heart rate and desire.

"It was pretty fun though......"

And next thing you know I'm riding out a brutal craving which, best case scenario ruins my whole evening and worst case scenario..... well.  Let's not entertain that possibility.  I'm not always this vulnerable, like depending on my mood that day I might just shrug it off and forget about it within minutes.  But lately I've been feeling sad and a bit relapsey (probably because the school semester is starting up again so I'm exposed to a lot more triggers that remind me of the old days.

Always trying to use quitonce's advice of getting in the automatic habit of "changeing the channel" to prevent time, thoughts, and energy wasted on thinking about bullshit pills.  Ahh well work in progress.

Note I'm not trying to be a naysayer against the show limitless for other people, but these are the things I have to be wary of right now.

• Like 1

i definitely hear you on this Doge. I feel the same way. It CAN ruin the whole evening in a best case scenerio. And worse case days and days...i hate it. 

It doesnt ruin with the same duration as before but its still there for me...I dont know if i should watch that show if its triggering this...

I saw requiem and read the book and found that she was taking dexedrine...thats what caused her mental break.

I would say dont watch limitless the show.  It could be very triggery....

• 1 month later...

Finally saw the movie. While it was triggering, his hallucinations/break downs during the come off did remind me about why I quit.. But the movie still glamorized the drug, still made it seem appealing despite all its side effects, considering the ending that it had. I'm sorry, but what the hell was that? Not to spoil anything, but it was like: hey, you almost die repeatedly from this pill, but keep taking it because you're superman and can avoid the ultimatum. The acting was great but the overall meaning of the movie lacked morality.