QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Dr. says it's "impossible" for me to get addicted since I have ADD

workingmom

TL;DR:  I started taking dextroamphetamine (similar to Adderall) about 3 weeks ago. I started having some troublesome side effects, which made me worry I was getting addicted. I googled around and found this site, which freaked me out. I brought this up to my psychiatrist, and he brushed it off saying that when people with legitimate ADD (which I do have) take these drugs, there is no long-term damage and it is  "impossible" to get addicted as long as I stick only with the prescribed dosage, which is a "baby dosage". 

It may be worth noting that HE suffers from ADD and HE takes dex, so he used himself as proof. 

I'm SO confused! I've read reports that these drugs are essentially harmless (I believe the WIkipedia entry for dextroamphetamine says there is no chance for physical dependency), etc. ... but then I read the stories here and I don't know what to think! 

The longer story:

The first week I took dex, I literally thought I had stumbled upon a miracle. ADD has afflicted me for decades, and I thought that now, finally, in my 40s, I'd finally be able to reach my true potential at work. Procrastination was a thing of the past as I zoomed through every item on my to-do list. I felt like I could accomplish anything! 

That weekend, I decided to give myself a "Rest" from the drug. And this is when I started to worry. 

That weekend, I had a really hard time getting out of bed. I felt incredibly tired and groggy, as if a head cold were coming on. 

The next week, I took the dex M-F, and once again was thanking God that I had found this miracle drug. 

During the weekend, though? I ended up SLEEPING almost the ENTIRE weekend.  I could barely get out of bed.  Huh, that's weird. 

I took it for another week -- once again, had an amazing week...and then went on a one-week vacation. 

During the vacation, I did not take my pills, and I slept pretty much the entire week. I could barely keep my eyes open

So, I started to feel like I needed the pills just to be able to be awake. 

And then -- far more frightening -- during the end of vacation I thought: "I can't wait for this vacation to be over so that I can go back to work and take my magic medicine again!

Um... wait, what?  Isn't a thought like that a CLASSIC addict's thought pattern?  "Needing" the drug, just to even function? Wanting to go back to work, to have an excuse to take it?

So I set up an appointment with my psychiatrist, who told me I had nothing to worry about, that millions of people with ADD take dex / adderall for years with zero side-effects, and anyway I'm on a "baby" dosage. He said that addiction is only a problem when people who don't actually have ADD take it, OR when people with ADD go beyond the prescribed dosage. 

Oh, and when I told him that I get devastatingly tired on days I don't take it?  His response: "Well, just take it every day, then!"  

I was getting ready to start re-taking it again today (it's currently Monday morning), but then I remembered this page and thought I'd reach out first before taking the magic pill again. 

So I guess my question is -- did anyone on this thread *start out* with 1) a legitimate ADD diagnosis  and 2) taking low doses for years  and 3) have zero side-effects?

I'm feeling so lost. I'm not going to lie -- I LOVE how I feel on this drug, WHEN I'm on it. And so many articles seem to imply that it's perfectly safe and in fact it might even be better in the long run for people with ADD to take them. But something about this seems fishy.

Won't my dopamine receptors get damaged, regardless of whether or not I have ADD?  Regardless of whether or not I stay on the minimum dose? Won't even a small dose be bad for me, long-term?

In sum, if my story sounds like yours, and you now regret (or don't regret!) taking this drug, please let me know -- I will deeply appreciate it. Thank you!

• Like 1

hi @workingmom

welcome! you are right to be apprehensive about this. that doesn't mean your doctor is wrong in prescribing dex, but there's more to the story than he's telling you.

1 hour ago, workingmom said:

did anyone on this thread *start out* with 1) a legitimate ADD diagnosis

unfortunately there's no such thing as a "legitimate" diagnosis. symptoms for adult ADD are so vague and easily identifiable, most people could convince themselves of it with little effort. most doctors will similarly diagnose pretty easily because.. well why not? their patient fits the criteria, and the diagnosis will secure a returning patient.

2) taking low doses for years  and 3) have zero side-effects?

i am not in this category, but there are plenty of members here that fit the low dose for years, but "zero side-effects"? not a chance. you're ALREADY experiencing side effects on the weekends!

Won't my dopamine receptors get damaged, regardless of whether or not I have ADD? 

depends whether you believe you're truly ADD. the argument for prescribing stimulants is that those with ADD have faulty receptors by default. this means that they don't get as much "reward" for doing simple "normal" things like most people do. this in turn causes them to be restless and continually seek stimulation. so, when you introduce a stimulant, they are now satisfied by the normal stuff which in turn calms them down.

that being said, you should know that everyone will feel an effect from amphetamine, cause its a drug. that magical, miracle feeling you described? that's just feeling high. it won't last forever, and when it disappears, you'll be left with a pill that you literally take just cause if you don't you'll be a tired depressing mess.

• Like 3

Unfortunately there comes a stage when tolerance builds to the level where these drugs no longer become effective for getting work done and yield no benefit whatsoever. Unfortunately, the user continually needs to take them to ward off the negative withdrawal side effects such as sleeping 24/7. My dr also told me I couldn’t get addicted which couldn’t have been further from the truth! These pills robbed me of 2+ yrs of my life, my advice is to quit now whilst you are still ahead! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My story was very similar to yours in the beginning, I just wish I Lind this site sooner like you. I ended up addicted to Adderall for 5 years and have been in recovery for 3. That’s 8 years of my life that I’ll never get back. Please stop taking this shit, it will mess up your life and you will regret it. Life is hard, but speed is not the answer, it  is a lie.

• Like 2

But according to this paper, I take a normal daily dosage But according to this paper, I take a normal daily dosage I had the same experience and questions as you. Two months ago, my doctor prescribed Adderall for me as a treatment. And what is most interesting, he didn't even try to find an alternative. I heard about these strange side effects of using Adderall, and, before I started taking it, I decided to find healthy options. But my doc said it was impossible to become addicted if you had a diagnosis like mine. Recently, I tried to work one day without this medicine and immediately felt withdrawal symptoms. I felt so tired and depressed. I couldn't sleep well ... it was awful. I didn't talk about such an experiment with my doctor. And now I clearly understand that  I have a strong dependency on Adderall... Maybe my doctor prescribed me the wrong dosage? Or am I the type of person who cannot use such a drug without developing an addiction to it? I found on the innetBut according to this paper, I take a normal daily dosage But according to this paper, I take a normal daily dosage a lot of info about the correct dosage of Adderall (on Addiction Resource I found this doc https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2007/011522s040lbl.pdf).
But according to this paper, I take a normal daily dosage. So I really don't know what to do now....

On 6/6/2019 at 7:58 AM, fredmoo said:

And now I clearly understand that  I have a strong dependency on Adderall... Maybe my doctor prescribed me the wrong dosage? Or am I the type of person who cannot use such a drug without developing an addiction to it?

it's not really a dosage problem (though it can contribute).

the problem is actually a fundamental difference in how doctors define addiction and how patients understand it.

to be clear - dependence and addiction are two separate conditions, the former being more medical the later behavioral.

your doctor's argument is that people who "actually" have ADD will not not feel the same "high" or compulsion to abuse. not true. its actually shocking that he'd use the word "impossible" so casually (aren't doctors scientists too)?

the flip side is that the question you as a patient meant to ask was: "can i become dependent on this medication?". that is a much different question, to which a doctor would have to admit "yes", but many of them see it like this: are diabetics addicted to their insulin? no. are they dependent on it? yes, but they have a condition that requires it. your condition of ADHD requires medication so it's perfectly fine to become dependent.

-_-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My doctor told me that same thing. That he himself uses Adderall. And I should have no side effects. BUT I do! I am an adult male in my 50's and have been taking this for about 2 years. It has helped me tremendously. Not so much at work, which is not a high concentration job. But more in and around my home and getting out of the house and remembering to do things I need to do. 

I recently went to this new doctor when I was thinking something wasn't right. He increased my dose dramatically. from 20mg XR to 30mg XR and 20 mg as needed in the afternoon. 

Sometimes,I don't feel much when I take them. But other times I feel, maybe a bit of a high or happy feeling? I cant seem to take them as I am prescribed either, I am all over the place. None yesterday 60-80mg two days ago. Today I HAD to take 30 to get up and move. But I felt nothing from it. I hate being on any meds. Doctors all my life have fed some antidepressant this or that down my throat. Ive suffered from Cluster Headaches.  And depression from an insane violent childhood. 

In the last year Ive quit going to the gym, and find myself confused and loss of short term memory. Having little panic attacks. 3 weeks ago I was backpacking alone in the Rocky Mountains. I had been taking my meds daily. Maybe more then I should im not even sure. I was laying in my tent hammock and really stressing and having a big panic attack. I then began to hear people talking. I felt I was being watched. I became terrified and began crying and freaked out. There was no one anywhere near where I was.

I was very lucky as where I was in the mountains I was able to call my adult daughter and she helped me calm down and pack my gear and walk out. It was a terrible episode of panic and some kind of delusions. 

That episode should of made it easy to throw them out and move on. But the pills still have a hold on me. I have not refilled my prescription nor spoken with my doctor. I have such a backed up amount of meds. I dnt blame my doctors or me really. I have such a mixed up scrambled brain. Its almost impossible  for me to have a single thought track. I cant watch a whole movie if sitting by myself. Even a half hour show can be hard. I hear so much noise in my head. I feel very emotional and cry over the dumbest things. I do not feel suicidal or angry. 

So yes I feel the medication had some positive effect on whatever my condition is, but it is extremely addicting and dangerous. That's why I am here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DenverMike said:

In the last year Ive quit going to the gym, and find myself confused and loss of short term memory. Having little panic attacks. 3 weeks ago I was backpacking alone in the Rocky Mountains. I had been taking my meds daily. Maybe more then I should im not even sure. I was laying in my tent hammock and really stressing and having a big panic attack. I then began to hear people talking. I felt I was being watched. I became terrified and began crying and freaked out. There was no one anywhere near where I was.

I was very lucky as where I was in the mountains I was able to call my adult daughter and she helped me calm down and pack my gear and walk out. It was a terrible episode of panic and some kind of delusions. 

So yes I feel the medication had some positive effect on whatever my condition is, but it is extremely addicting and dangerous. That's why I am here.

Welcome to the Forum.  Backpacking in the mountains is such a special experience!  I'm sorry that your trip was ruined by a bad adderall experience.  You've come to the right place to quit.  With adderall, it's all or none.  I suggest kicking them ASAP.