QuittingAdderall.com Forums

I can't believe it's me...

NurseAddy

Your story sounds similar to mine. I’m a teacher. Also been prescribed meds for about four years, when I think I originally should’ve been prescribed postpartum depression medicine. Everything was great on my new meds at first. But now I also take all of mine as soon as I get it and run out weeks early. BUT what ALWAYS happens for me is that toward the end of the second or third week without it I start to feel like a human again. And during that time I’ll tell myself, “Wow, I really can function without it.” But then, that script is handed to me and it’s a downward spiral. I also run out tomorrow, but this time I am running out because I confided in a friend and had her take them completely out of my house. I wasn’t strong enough to flush them myself, but I will be soon. You are not alone. 

• Like 3

@metoo Thank you for your reply! Your story sounds almost too familiar. I too feel almost normal again and for whatever reason STILL fill the script knowing I’m about to lose normality. I’m assuming the psychological win is the hardest to conquer.

I have flushed mine a number of times but it never stopped me from refilling. Which is why I have to cut off the source, seeing my PCP next month to do so. Perhaps a thought for you as well? 

I wish you the best of luck, I hope to see you check in throughout OUR sobriety. 

• Like 1

@NurseAddy Welcome to the forum, officially. Your story is unfortunately all to familiar to a majority of the members here including me.  Lurking around the site when running out of meds and/or when your coming down off the high and hating your life.  The "yo-yo" effect of getting your script, burning thru it in a week or two, and saying that you're never gonna go back but do anyways.  Realizing that you have become addicted to this little pill even tho you can't believe it has happened and scared that you will never be able to quit and that life will be potentially horrible for the rest of your life.  I have personally experienced these things and read hundreds of posts like yours where people are in complete despair and scared of life off this drug and its crazy.

On the bright side, many of those people that have posted similar stories have gone on to quit and say its the best decision that they've ever made in their life and I fully believe them.  I also have a friend that abused for years and is approaching 4 years clean this upcoming week and he's been able to enjoy life to the fullest and used to regret all the time he wasted being burned out (his first 6 months were rough but after a year he rarely even thought of the meds).  Just know that life will suck for a while in early recovery but its so worth the reward of being a normal human in the long run.  I'm thankful for this site and the stories that reassure me that what I'm doing and going thru will be worth it.  That there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

I've quit many times in the past and flushed my pills on so many occasions but still went back to them.  Now, I've developed an overwhelming hatred for the drug and a final realization that I'm not getting anywhere by being on them and they solve nothing by taking them.  Also, venting and contributing constantly to this site has been crucial for me as well, I'm normally a quiet person but posting has given me accountability and honestly just makes me feel better.

Just know that you CAN quit and you WILL be okay and happier in the long run, it won't be overnight but eventually...it sounds like things are going very good for you in other aspects of your life and thats something to be especially thankful for while recovering. A good support system is crucial as well and it sounds like you have that in your significant other.  Just know that there are people here just like you and the support can be amazing.  Good luck and keep checking in!!!

-Finishing Day 41 and excited about life again

• Like 2

@NurseAddy hi! It sounds like you’re ready to do this and get off of Adderall for good which is a good start. It’s crazy how many of us crash around the 4-5 year mark, I was the same way (I’m 28 so not too different age wise). As far as long term commitment, start by cutting off your supply, which it sounds like you’re doing. I’d also let your partner know what’s going on and about your desire to quit. Show them this site so they can better understand what you will face. I’m sure the promise of your personality and libido returning will make them very understanding and accommodating. 

Therapy, support groups, rest and exercise worked wonders for me in my long term recovery. I think it’s a matter of figuring out what works for you. I had a lot of emotional and other addiction issues so seeing a counselor and AA were really important for me. Exercise and rest are good for everyone. Find a balance and don’t push yourself too hard early on. Your mind and body need time to heal. I spent a lot of time the first 9-10 months binging TV shows, which I don’t do at all now. So be kind to yourself when that’s all you feel like doing. Start with some light cardio. Even just 10-15 minutes to get the blood moving. Anyways, that’s some of what worked for me to be successful long term. Good luck!

@DrewK15 Thank you for the encouragement and advice! I worry that come time to tell my doc about cancelling the script, that I won’t. As it’s near the time I would refill as well. I will keep thinking positive in the meantime.

May I ask, how far along are you on your sobriety? How do you specifically tame the craving dragon?

• Like 1

@NurseAddy I'm still in early recovery so I'm glad DrewK15 provided some input. Lately I try to be less hard on myself when I'm not being super productive or when I have a lot of regret for the years I wasted doing meaningless tasks instead of being a father and husband.  I'm thankfully holding onto all the negative things that adderall did to me and I currently have had very little to no desire to take one again.  I relapsed so many times that things are never different/better when I take a pill and I'm finally realizing that and internalizing it.  I still got a long journey ahead but so far my life has already changed so much compared to 6 weeks ago and I have had no regrets about quitting.

- Currently day 42 and plowing thru this Monday!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NurseAddy said:

How do you specifically tame the craving dragon?

i think "tame" might be the wrong word to use here, because it implies trying to assert control over it. instead, think of it as complete avoidance. in the short term it will be difficult, because every challenge you come across you will think about using, but after a while you kinda just... forget about it (:

you won't spend the rest of your life fighting this addiction. at some point it will become a distant fading memory. gl and keep posting! 

• Like 1

I think the sober me desperately wishes to believe that, but the addict me is already too excited that it's refill time that I subconsciously know what's about to happen. 

Nailed it.  This is me to a T.

I'm a little late to respond to this but here's what I suggest.  Best thing you can do is just tell your doctor you're killing yourself by binging and that you need the prescription taken away.  Tell your doctor EVERYTHING.  And when you're lying around during the crash feeling horrible hating yourself, do it THEN.  Pick up the phone and tell your doctor.  It's a terrifying thing to do because you can't go back.  But that's the whole point.  When you're 3 years clean, you will probably be able to say no.  When you're 3 months clean.... probably not.

The addict inside your head will be all like, "just wait until you feel better".  But by then it'll be too late and you'll already be looking forward to your next fix instead of wanting to quit.

I'm about a year and a half clean, and if some stranger on the street offered me adderall tomorrow, I hope i'd say no.  But honestly I really don't know I might take it.  The fact that I don't have any access is my biggest ally.  It's the only reason I'm free from that shit.  Tell your doctor to cancel the prescription!

Sorry this is a disorganized mess of thoughts, but I'm rooting for you!

• Like 3

@Doge Thank you so much for the reply! I have in fact already called to cancel the script in the past, that was when I had 4 months of sobriety. However; I called thinking maybe they forgot I called and asked to have it removed from my file and low and behold, the script was at the pharmacy. Which is why I feel like I need to tell my doc to her face. So she really gets the point. I just hope I go through with it, as I’m on day two of no adderall and already wishing I had more. I hate this foggy feeling. Almost don’t feel real. 

In other words, congratulations on a year and a half of sobriety! What a feat! I’ve heard that once you’re an addict, always an addict which is why I fear ever being able to get ahold of it again. Kudos to you for being honest though. It must be an amazing feeling.

• Like 2

@NurseAddy thanks very much, it’s been a wild ride and life definitely got hard during this time (for other reasons) but it’s really nice to be able to own the accomplishment of overcoming those barriers without the help of a demon whispering in your ear.  even as recently as a couple months ago I was having a rough day and my subconscious brain started to come up with a plot to maybe convince a doctor to give me a prescription but fortunately those thoughts are few and far between now.

I still frequently have nightmares about relapsing, a couple where i broke into my friends house (who lives in another city) when he wasn’t home and raided his stash, because I know he hoards extras.  But when I woke up, I pretty much shrugged it off and didn’t think about it for the rest of the day (except to think about how grateful I Was that it was just a dream).  

my cravings are mostly subconscious now, I PROMISE YOU the cravings do calm down and I DO have faith that they will eventually go away entirely.

The hardest part is forgiving yourself honestly.

But you are correct that once and addict, always an addict.  You will never be able to use the drug again without immediately crashing headfirst right back down to the depths of the pits you are currently working so hard to dig yourself out of.

i think the fact that you don’t hear from many users that have been clean past a few years is a testament to the fact that life really does go on after adderall.  After a while they just stop thinking about it and close that chapter of their life.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

@NurseAddy I have been exactly where you've been! Ironically, I was 30 years old too when I got off of it.  

There is no trick or magical means of quitting Adderall other than believing in yourself and having support.  If I didn't have my family and husband on my side I'm not sure I would have been able to stay off of it.  I also went through a short-term outpatient rehab program which was pivotal to keeping me off of it. 

What I can say with 100% assurance is that once you get off of it for a week, two weeks, a month, three months, etc. etc. you WILL feel happier and more at peace with yourself (you'd also be surprised at how much sharper your brain is when you're off of it--at least that's how I felt).

I hope that helps.  Please feel free to message me anytime!

Laura

• Like 1

@demi24 Thank you for the response, firstly. Your timing is impeccable, in an amazing way. Sadly, after 22 days I caved when my script was due to refill. Binged two days and flushed the rest today. It’s pretty pathetic how much control the addiction has over me because I was feeling great and have great support. Didn’t matter though. The addict won again, for a short stint. I still have my PCP appt on the 15th so I’m hoping to have the strength to tell her never prescribe me it again. 

I appreciate your advice and thankful for the timing, Laura.

• Like 1

@NurseAddy sorry to hear about the relapse. Take this time to think about your train of thought right before it happened and how to stop it in the future. Just remember where you end up after a day or two... which is this site and most likely experiencing regret.

Last week I had intense cravings and learned enough from my relapses in the past to put a mental stop measure in place to prevent the cravings from turning into a relapse. Just play out how things will go after you pop that first one and remember the pain your going thru now. 

I’ve been busy the last few weeks experiencing life as a sober person and not constantly thinking about pills and it’s freaking amazing. I still experience guilt and regret about not quitting sooner and still have some sluggish days but overall it’s like I’ve been reborn and it seriously is amazing. You CAN get past this addiction!!! 

-End of day 69 :-)

• Like 3

@eric Thank you for the reply! Indeed, I’m feeling a hell of a lot of guilt. That being said, I’m proud to have flushed them two days into a binge knowing it was only going to get worse. There wasn’t any other reason why I wanted to refill except that the refill was possible. Which in itself is a shame and embarrassment. It won’t be an option after I see my doc in roughly 10 days. I’m don’t with this shit. I hate my addict self. 

Congrats on 69 days, so amazing!

• Like 1

Didn’t have the time to read all the replies but read your initial post. Nothing we can do can get you to that point we all reach where we just can’t take it anymore and I mean REALLY can’t take it. It feels like you’ve got that point many time before, but not to the extent that you will one day, if you keep taking it. I’ve put this chapter so far behind me now it’s hard to remember exactly where I’m at but I think around two years and 7 months off it. You can do it just take it a day at a time and before you know it, it’ll be a memory of a time that was absolute hell but taught you a lot. When I look back at my days addicted/bingeing it makes me sick. My body immediately is like “god no” don’t ever do that again. You’ll get there. The only thing that concerns me is how stable and good your life is outside of the addiction. I had to lose my love of 7 years, fail out of my last semester of chemical engineering “a degree that would of changed my life” lose my job, lose touch with reality and go to psychological rehab. I hope and pray you don’t have to lose all that you have going to finally stop. Because you can stop now and keep it or keep on with the addictive cycle and i guarantee you’ll start to lose what you’ve got. I don’t mean to be discouraging or curt or upset you. Please get off of it. 

• Like 3

I’m also a nurse who got addicted to adderall. I loved it at first. It was the perfect work drug . Made my 12 hour shift seem like 6. Worked a lot of OT too. But what goes up must come down. 2nd year in increasing dosage to get same affects. 3rd year developed chronic anxiety, became socially isolated , personality changes. Would run out of my prescription by 2nd week. Started experimenting with meth rationalizing it’s similar to adderall . My 4 th year I was basically in psychosis. Chronic anxiety. Panic attacks to where I had to leave the clinical floor. I quit a couple times the first month but eventually stopped for good. Unfortunately my symptoms continued. I quit my job for 6 months. It was a slow recovery. Lots of anxiety and depression.Over time I felt better. Got rehired 8 months after I quit taking adderall  . I’m 15 months clean and I feel like I’m about 90 percent better. I think I’ll be 100 percent at the 2 year mark . Looking back the decision to quit really wasn’t mine. I was such a train wreck and on the verge of collapse my body said no more. I would take 100 to 140 mg a day and feel hardly anything. 

This has been a slow painful journey. I’ve said to my self a million times how could I have been so stupid. But on the other hand it was a great lesson on overcoming adversity. You are about to embark on a long great battle but when the dust clears you will become victorious. 

• Like 3

@NurseAddywow that is so great! that's a huge step! I remember I did the same thing one.  I refilled my prescription and the next day, flushed it--maybe it was divine intervention? or just my true self finally taking control.  It's kind of like a game of catch-up with your addiction--you have to beat it before it beats you.  Now that you are clear headed, perhaps you should consider pushing up your appointment or calling your doctor to let him know you have been abusing the medication (otherwise your addiction might creep in when you're having a bad day). 

As far as the guilt, just let it go.  It's NOT your fault.  Yes you made the choice to abuse it but you weren't in your right mindset when you made that choice--the addiction was clouding your judgment and you just couldn't say no.  Addiction is a sickness, and like all sicknesses, it can get worse or better.  But you have the power to do what you can to avoid getting tempted again, whether it's calling your doctor sooner than your appointment, letting a family/friend know about what you're going through, or eating a lot of junk food, do whatever makes you feel good without Adderall.  I know food tastes a lot better when you're off it right?  But seriously, what makes you happy?

@SeanW Thank you very much for the reply. I too don’t want to have to lose everything before I realize my mistakes and my addiction. I hate Adderall as soon as I take it but it never stops me from refilling the damn thing. What gives? I can’t target why I want it nor the trigger behind the refill. I have no will power, plain and simple. I will keep fighting the addiction, nonetheless. Thank you again.