QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Started going to NA Meetings

Alicia

I finally told my doctor that I am abusing adderall and want help to stop and he actually wrote me another script! He said I should ween off of it but I told him that even if he writes me one for 22 pills, those pills will be gone in 2 days b/c I ABUSE adderall. I left his office, tore up the script and made the best decision I have in a long time. I can't afford to see a psychologist or god for bid go to rehab so I've decided that NA was the next best thing.

I went to my second NA meeting last night and shared my story about being addicted and abusing adderall for 10 years and I was quite shocked at how many people came up after the meeting and told me they were addicted too. For the first time I did not feel totally alone in this uphill battle of addiction. You think of NA meetings filled with people who are on crack, heroin or just alcoholics but it's almost the opposite. The majority of people there seemed to be battling some kind of prescription drug addiction, middle class working adults with families and normal lives. It was an eye opening experience making the decision to start attending NA. You don't even have to speak- you can go and just listen to other people talk about what you are mostly feeling and everyone there is so completely understanding and non-judgmental.

Anyone out there looking for a different route (besides this website which started my journey to recovery) please reach out to me and I can help you get started finding a meeting in your area. Yes it's scary at first but it is a solid program with a lot of success stories and I hope to be one of them :)

Keep living life one day at a time and try and stay present in the moment. My mom used to always say "the hardest part of moving forward is not looking back". She was such a wise woman :)

Thanks as always for reading.

Alicia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I go to NA meetings every so often; but, I also go to AA and CA (cocaine anonymous)-I think they are pretty much all the same. 12-step recovery has saved my life. My Adderall addiction was so ridiculous, I couldn't have imagined living with it for much longer, or living without it. I mean, it's truly hard to stop alone-I tried-sooooooo many times but I couldn't. I have been completely free of Adderall for 9 months and 2 weeks and my life has gotten so much better. It's nice to feel again.