QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Acute insomnia after detox

Seeking

My son just completed a very fast detox from Adderall. Other than the couple of days that he was on a sedative, he has been virtually unable to sleep - even when totally exhausted. He's been trying melatonin, l-tyrosine, herbal teas, exercise, etc. Similar experiences/advice? He was prescribed Adderall for over 10 years - 80 mg. daily for the last several years and did, of course, suffer from insomnia during that time - seems even worse now. Good news - non-existent appetite has returned!

How many days has it been? I had a few insomnia days in the beginning. All I could do was sleep after a couple of weeks. I was prescribed on and off over a period of 12 yrs. I think it’s a two yr process for most people on for a decade or more. Tell him to hang in there. It will get better, the beginning is the hardest part. 

Its a roller coaster. For me the sleep evened out. I still sleep 10-12 hours and rarely experience insomnia. I sleep too much -is my current problem and I’m still tired. I’m almost 1 yr clean. 

Everyone is a little different though. Research 5htp,Gaba, and 1 mg of melatonin at night (or the smallest dose you have). I found I was taking too much melatonin in beginning. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 6:39 AM, Seeking said:

My son just completed a very fast detox from Adderall. Other than the couple of days that he was on a sedative, he has been virtually unable to sleep - even when totally exhausted. He's been trying melatonin, l-tyrosine, herbal teas, exercise, etc. Similar experiences/advice? He was prescribed Adderall for over 10 years - 80 mg. daily for the last several years and did, of course, suffer from insomnia during that time - seems even worse now. Good news - non-existent appetite has returned!

It is his dopamine well lack of that is preventing him from sleeping.  Luckily, there is a cure.  Go to sprouts and buy l-tryosine.

I've been using a few different supplements from the "GENIUS" brand line...GENIUS SLEEP; GENIUS JOY; GENIUS MUSHROOMS; as well as GABA and DOPA. I swithc-up the GENIUS SLEEP with CALM for SLEEP....also, I recently read that Melatonin is more effective if you split the dosage in half and take the second half in the middle of the night if you wake up --I wake up like clockwork at 3:15 every night and so this tip has been helpful for me. 

• 1 month later...

How long have you been off Adderall? I had a lot of issues with sleep after quitting and the 3:15 wake time is very familiar. I used time release melatonin, tyrosine, 5htp, gaba among others. Can’t really say anything helped drastically however did try some CBD with low THC content and that was the best... over time I slowly quit taking anything and was able to finally sleep. I still find if I wake for any reason I have issues going back to sleep

• Like 1