QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Suicidal, Antidepressants (Zoloft)

Hi tomorrow will officially be 3 weeks Adderall free, it has been difficult dealing with the side effects, I got suicidal last week and self-admitted at a hospital to avoid hurting myself. The doctor wants me to try ZOLOFT but I am scared, have any of you had experiences with antidepressants post Adderall. Debating if to try or continue waiting. I have not worked or done school since I quit on the 18th of January 2020. 

Thank you

@Aurora29 hey there sweet girl- first of all I am so proud of you for getting off adderall and for seeking help when you needed it. You are brave! To answer your question about Zoloft- YES, I am on it and have been for years. I got off adderall ten years ago and for the first 5+ years I was against going on any new medications bc I never again wanted to be dependent on a drug like I had been on adderall. I have always struggled with anxiety and over that period of time I definitely experienced bouts of anxiety and depression. Finally, after the birth of my 3rd child, my anxiety got so severe I knew I had to do something about it. So I started taking Zoloft and it REALLY helped. I was happy to see it wasn’t the same experience as I had with Adderall- it’s not really a drug that results in abuse, at least for me, bc the effects aren’t felt as immediately or intensely as adderall’s were. It’s more of just a slow removing on the anxiousness. I was taking 150 msg for a few years and then this summer i decided to try an wean myself off of it. I was ok for while (and the experience of getting off of it was NOTHING like getting off of adderall), but after a while i started to feel my anxiety getting worse so i am back on it at a low dose of 50mgs. I had no trouble making this decision to go back on it because my experience on it was never dysfunctional like it had been on adderall. I have had no problem taking it as prescribed and never once did i abuse it or run out early or anything like that. Based on my experience with Zoloft, i would recommend anyone struggling like I was to go on it. Stay strong girlfriend- it gets better. You’re fighting the battle now but stick with it and you will definitely win the war! Xoxo

• Like 1

It’s dangerous to assume an antidepressant will work the same for you as it did for someone else, they are complicated chemicals. I went on an antidepressant immediately after quitting Adderall and I lost my mind. Had to go into a short term rehab to detox. I spent 9 months medication free after that before going on a mood stabilizing medication that has worked wonders for me. My recommendation is to wait a few months for your body to adjust to being Adderall free before making a decision to add another medication.

• Like 1

Thank you, for your input and advice I am on day 23 off Adderall, been taking the 25 mg of Zoloft for 4 days and I haven't cried as much, helped me stop bing eating and then vomiting after (was bulimic for many yrs) and maybe had 1 small panic attacks a day which is an improvement.

I am still really struggling with school and might try to work this week. Considering dropping the semester and focusing on therapy and minimal work.

Feel numb and tired, been going to bed around 7 pm most days although I don't sleep the whole night and am up by 5 am. 

My family and friends have been amazingly supportive for which I am thankful.

Intuitively I want to flush the Zoloft but after the panic attacks and extreme suicidal obsession I went through I am scared of myself. 

I used to be a powerhouse, but feel like I know to live in the mind of a 6-year-old. 

On the positive, I cleaned my condo over the weekend and have been doing some kind of physical activity most days. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear what you are going thru. I also tried Zoloft when I was feeling the way you are. I think it effects everyone differently but for me I was very tired on it. I actually took half the dose they told me to take for awhile but still felt extra tired. I switched to 5htp and Tyrosine which are over the counter vitamins. Then progressed to work on diet and exercising... If you read about zoloft of any drug that increases serotonin they also reduce dopamine... So its a little opposite of what your brain may need right now however do whatever keeps you alive! The first few months I honestly felt like my life was going to end and was in a state of silent panic. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, DC011381 said:

Hey Aurora hang in there.  I had such intense suicidal ideation in early recovery BUT IT GOES AWAY, I promise.  I wouldn't have believed that if someone told me but with time it gets better!  Dig in and with time things get better... 

Half dangerous advice. True, suicidal thoughts may be temporary for some (still traumatic), but for many depression is something that will need continuing treatments to feel the healthiest they can. 

It was so brave of you to go to the hospital! I could see why you’d be scared to try another chemical, but I’d really encourage you to try under your doctors care. Sometimes people need to try different things to work. I was lucky and my first one, Celexa, saved my life. I still have to do other work to help lessen my depression & ADD, but I would not be able to without it.

As for school and work, even if you bomb your classes this term, you will have the strength to re-do anything after things fall in place mentally for you. 

Rooting for you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...