QuittingAdderall.com Forums

I'm so glad you are here and that you finally found the right people to help you back in December. It's so infuriating and heart-breaking to read your story. It really is beyond comprehension to me how oblivious so many doctors still are about the fact that Adderall is speed-plain and simple, and that it is destroying lives left and right. I don't get it. I'm glad that you are your wife are working together in your recovery. This site has been a godsend for me, and I hope you'll take full advantage of it. We all need to hear your story. How did you fare after getting out of the hospital? How long were you there? What all have you been doing to get through these months without Adderall? How were your detox/withdrawal? Looking forward to hearing more from you. 

• Like 2

I last took adderall on December 1, 2019, a date I'll always remember. At first I was completely exhausted and somewhat "dazed and confused" to start to sort through what the hell just happened.   My wife sadly is not working to save our marriage as she doesn't believe adderall made me lose control.   I was seeing, hearing, thinking and feeling things that were not real.  I tried to explain to her I was in a prolonged state of psychosis that I was numb and blind to what was going on around me.  I really wish she would be willing to understand that the medication was dividing us...not me!  It was such a slap in the face after 9 years trusting my dr on the drug and who I've been with for 16 years.  I don't know that I ever want to see him again.  Now I'm feeling better than I've ever felt, my original illness that we tried to resolve is addressed yet the negligence of the therapist and my dr caused so much damage in our lives- emotionally, physically and financially.  My wife wants nothing to do with talking to the hospital as they've offered to explain to her I was a victim not in control.   It messed me up and I almost died!!  I was in the hospital for 10 days in their partial hospitalization program...there were others there with similar adderall evil issues in their lives.  Hoping to have my wife know I truly was a prisoner in my own brain.  

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum! Adderall is very dangerous, but especially dangerous when you don't know how it can really affect you. It is absurd that doctors can just prescribe this stuff to people without explaining the side effects (also to kids thats fucking insane). When I went to my doctor to get it, i was already addicted having friends who all took it and gave to me. I knew i was getting speed. my doctor was my drug dealer for 5 years. it was shocking how easy it was to go in there and get.  I am sorry to hear about what happened to you. glad you are on the right path now.  We have close quit dates mine was Nov 11, 2019. So we are in this together. It hasnt been easy, but stay close to the forums and take it a day at a time. We can do this. heres to recovery and an addy free life.

• Like 4

Thank you @dolssa.  I'm really struggling as I never knew it was the medication causing me so many problems to the point I never knew why I was the way I was.  It messed me up, caused me to behave horribly!  My wife doesn't believe it can effect someone to create paranoia,  psychosis and mania...I had no idea what any of it was until I went through the partial hospitalization program.

You have no idea what it feels like to come out of the darkness,  given answers that you aren't crazy, you were heavily medicated and effected by its side effects since the day you first took it, to find thousands of stories and resources validating it all, to see the damage it caused and to fight daily for the person who means the world to me to remain as my partner,  my friend, my wife who is unwilling to accept the truth. 

It really is horrible right now that she doesn't believe me.  I've tried to encourage her to visit this site to read real life stories.  She thinks I'm making it up!

I am sorry to hear that. I feel like all you can do now is focus on yourself and your recovery and hope she takes the time to look at this site or sees how you improve without it in your life. I know how frustrating it is to try to explain to a person how bad adderall is and them not believing it.  My mom tries to get me to go back on it everyday, she does not understand that it has hurt me very negatively and thinks that because a doctor prescribes it, it cant be bad. she calls me a downer now because i am depressed without my lil pill of energy. I try to explain to her that i am addicted to it, and all the negative things it does not jut to me but to everyone that theres a website dedicated to the lives its ruined, but she still doesn't get it. the only thing I can do is get better and hopefully in the long run she can see it was the right thing to do. 

• Like 4

On 4/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, StAnne0822 said:

It really is horrible right now that she doesn't believe me.  I've tried to encourage her to visit this site to read real life stories.  She thinks I'm making it up!

Hi Stan, congrats on a few months off adderall.  Those early months are the toughest.

As far as trying to convince your wife to believe you, I'd lay off that.  Your addiction has put her and yourself through some hellish times and the last thing she wants to hear is that everything is going to be better. Shes probably tried getting things to change for many years. You just have to let your actions show her. Focus on being your best self and hopefully as you get back to the old you she'll come around.

• Like 4