QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Chronic fatigue and apathy

sweetupbaaby

I quit Adderall cold turkey 8 days ago. I was taking anywhere from 100mg XR to 240mg XR daily for 4.5 years. I'm kicking myself for allowing my tolerance to get so absurdly high because now I'm experiencing the expected withdrawal from hell. I don't want to scare anyone who is trying to quit so I will try not to go into detail. 

However, I am really struggling with heavy fatigue, no ability to concentrate, depression, severe anxiety, and an insatiable hunger (I can't afford my current eating habits). I use to work out every day, and although lack of motivation is to be expected, I still feel guilty that I can't push myself to workout, or even get out of bed. I was doing okay for the first week but I have recently crashed- hard.

If anyone has any source of motivation, inspiration, advice or their own personal success story to share, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much

• Like 2

I am on day 28 of cold turkey, about a week and a half ago I started feeling way less foggy and could string some sentences together. I’m in marketing and do improv, so being creative and strategic is what I’m paid to do; I feel your pain on the writing! 

The first two weeks were a total bust, I couldn’t do anything. From everything I read and experienced myself, I think you should only focus on getting things done you absolutely need to do, like paying bills and anything that you have to do to maintain your job, but the still do the absolute bare minimum. 

I find the harder I try to push myself to be “normal” the worst off I am mentally, bc I beat myself up so much for being lazy and slow. Lately I’ve been accepting what I am able to do and celebrating small wins. Today I worked for 5 hours (Which is a lot more then I’ve been able to do since I stopped), and I let myself be stoked! 

and the hunger.... omg I’ve gained and lost the same 6lbs for 28 days. I find intermittent fasting is a good method for me to control my eating, I use the Life app to track.

To end this random rant, it does get better! I can’t believe the progress I’ve made since day 8! 

• Like 4

the quicker you accept you are not going to have any motivation or any of the things you described for a little bit while your brain chemistry heals itself the easier it will be. dont be hard on yourself. there is no magic motivator. you just have to ride this wave and let your brain heal. it sucks but the faster i accepted my reality as not having the energy to do anything and that being OKAY the better it got. the good news, is it WILL return. I had all those things you mentioned the depression, anxiety, and fatigue for a good few months.  It does get easier though I promise you. 

• Like 2

It has also helped me To realize that the minute I quit my body is already reacting and detoxing and working to function without the drugs. Watching the NOVA documentary ADDICTION really helped me orient to the science of The addicted brain and helped me be more gentle with myself. One thing in particular that struck me was learning that without the dopamine that the brain produces on its own when it’s functioning normally and without the over-release of it on stimulants, the human body simply lacks MOTIVATION. The concept that motivation is Produced by Brain chemistry and not moral character Had been helpful. Having no motivation is simply due to the lack of dopamine production in the brain. But the minute you quit the stimulants, the brain is working hard to recover. Intense cravings are also about brain chemistry, not moral character. 
So do what you can, But don’t expect too much from yourself, knowing every day your body IS working hard on your behalf to recover. Our job is to let it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LuLamb said:

It has also helped me To realize that the minute I quit my body is already reacting and detoxing and working to function without the drugs. Watching the NOVA documentary ADDICTION really helped me orient to the science of The addicted brain and helped me be more gentle with myself. One thing in particular that struck me was learning that without the dopamine that the brain produces on its own when it’s functioning normally and without the over-release of it on stimulants, the human body simply lacks MOTIVATION. The concept that motivation is Produced by Brain chemistry and not moral character Had been helpful. Having no motivation is simply due to the lack of dopamine production in the brain. But the minute you quit the stimulants, the brain is working hard to recover. Intense cravings are also about brain chemistry, not moral character. 
So do what you can, But don’t expect too much from yourself, knowing every day your body IS working hard on your behalf to recover. Our job is to let it.

I want to watch that.  I "know" all of those things but I need to be reminded.  I googled "NOVA documentary addiction" but I came up with more than one thing.  Would you be able to tell me which specific one you watched?  Is it just through youtube?   I see that through amazon prime (which I have) I can get "NOVA: Addiction - Season 1"  Is that it?  53 min long?

• Like 2