QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Ugh- The hunger!

Addgirl426

So it has been over 2 weeks since i've been free from Adderall. My mind is clear(ish) and my energy is returning. The drawback of not taking the Adderall is that my appetite has become insatiable. Since being on Adderall, i forgot what hunger felt like. I've already gained over 6 pounds and i'm scared of gaining additional weight. My fear of weight gain has directly contributed to my continued abuse of Adderall. My hope is that this fear is not going to make me revert to prior behaviors. :unsure:

Since I've quit Adderall I've really had to watch my portion sizes. I gained about 9 pounds in the first two months, and have lost 5 in the third month because I'm finally getting my portion sizes under control. In addition to boosting metabolism overall, I think that Adderall speeds up the appetite signaling process from your stomach to your brain. Whenever I ate on Adderall, I just got full so much faster. Now, I can eat the same sized meal, and I'm still hungry. But, if I wait 30 minutes I'm not hungry anymore. This was a big challenge to me in the beginning. I'd eat a normal sized meal, still feel hungry, and eat something else. And I gained weight. Now, I give myself a half an hour after eating to determine if I should eat more. I almost always realize I'm full after that 30 minutes and don't want to eat anymore. So now, my portion sizes are about what they were on Adderall (which was normal portion sizes, three meals a day), and I'm losing the extra pudge. I've just had to adapt to a longer stomach-to-brain signaling time, and I've learned that feeling hungry doesn't require an emergency "I need to eat immediately or I'll die" response. Good luck. You probably will gain weight in the beginning. Just know that it's temporary and you can always lose it later on :)

Cassie

• 2 weeks later...

So it has been over 2 weeks since i've been free from Adderall. My mind is clear(ish) and my energy is returning. The drawback of not taking the Adderall is that my appetite has become insatiable. Since being on Adderall, i forgot what hunger felt like. I've already gained over 6 pounds and i'm scared of gaining additional weight. My fear of weight gain has directly contributed to my continued abuse of Adderall. My hope is that this fear is not going to make me revert to prior behaviors. :unsure:

I had the same problem! The fear of gaining weight made me struggle in the fight against Adderall. You have to realize that you are going to have to keep the weight off "the right way". (That sucks! Right?) It will be hard at first, but you have to let your metabolism re-vamp itself. I lost so much weight on adderall and gained 5 pounds in the first week off of it.... but guess what? I haven't gained another pound since! You are going to have to watch what you eat and work out (it sucks, but it's the right way and much better than going back to the imprisonment of adderall). Perhaps you can try some vitamins from GNC (they carry 100% drug-free vitamins that are essential for energy production that really help)? You can do it! A few pounds is not worth going back to Adderall! Be strong! Exercise also makes you feel SO MUCH BETTER. I understand that the last thing that you want to do off of Adderall is exercise (or at least it was that way for me), but you will get to the point where you can. Best of luck!