QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Back 2 work

sweetupbaaby

I touched on this in another post, but I wanted to make a separate one too.

I'm going back to work on Monday and I'm freaking out. How have you all coped being at work and not being as productive as you have been while on Adderall? Do you have enough energy to complete your workday? Were you able to concentrate and get things done without the Adderal? How do you adapt to the change?

I have been off Adderall for 3 and a half months or so until this past week where I got a new prescription. I really want to start my new job off on the right foot. I want to flush my pills before my first shift. I have 5 am shifts and I am not sure how I will be able to stay energized in the mornings without Adderall. I don't know how I will adapt to the fast-paced environment. I have badass social anxiety and that's a huge part of the fear that comes with being unmedicated at work. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks <3

• Like 2

i think this is a make or break moment for you - if you start this new job by going back to Adderall, you will not only wipe out all the physiological progress your brain has made healing itself, but psychologically you are giving the inner addict a HUGE win without even a fight! don't you at least want to KNOW how difficult this job will be before you give up?

depending on the type of work you're doing, it might not actually be as bad as you think. we are all more adaptable than we think we are! if you're constantly engaged (fast-paced environment as you say), you may end up being too busy to feel down. you don't need to be Superman or chatty Cathy at work - this will be about survival for a little while, not about performance or being liked. 

like most things in life, once you have the routines down for your new job it will become easier - you just need to let yourself get to that point without giving in to the medication. trust in your own strength to do this - think of it as a test for your big move next year! (:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sleepystupid said:

i think this is a make or break moment for you - if you start this new job by going back to Adderall, you will not only wipe out all the physiological progress your brain has made healing itself, but psychologically you are giving the inner addict a HUGE win without even a fight! don't you at least want to KNOW how difficult this job will be before you give up?

depending on the type of work you're doing, it might not actually be as bad as you think. we are all more adaptable than we think we are! if you're constantly engaged (fast-paced environment as you say), you may end up being too busy to feel down. you don't need to be Superman or chatty Cathy at work - this will be about survival for a little while, not about performance or being liked. 

like most things in life, once you have the routines down for your new job it will become easier - you just need to let yourself get to that point without giving in to the medication. trust in your own strength to do this - think of it as a test for your big move next year! (:

Thanks so much- yeah, you're absolutely right. I have to at least let myself find out how working will be without my medication. I'm putting down the speed. I've come too far for this bullshit! Just going to continue to meditate and get some yoga in to calm my frazzled nerves before my first shift. Thanks for your input- always helpful:)

• Like 1

Hey @sweetupbaaby - I have been following your story and am so impressed with your progress. You have come so far. 3 and a half months clean is something to be proud of. Please know that you have the strength within you to stay off of these evil blue pills - work or not. Nothing is as important as continuing to stay off, for good. 

This is my first time posting but I saw what you wrote and knew that I had to say something. You are smart and insightful - I can tell from your posts. Trust yourself and know that you will be fine at work without these pills...And on the off chance that they find some fault with you - then that’s their loss! It is safe to say that you’ve inspired members of this community to get off and stay off - you’ve made a difference in my life at least. Please keep us updated. It’s not too late to get off again. We are here for you. You are awesome. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ash20 said:

Hey @sweetupbaaby - I have been following your story and am so impressed with your progress. You have come so far. 3 and a half months clean is something to be proud of. Please know that you have the strength within you to stay off of these evil blue pills - work or not. Nothing is as important as continuing to stay off, for good. 

This is my first time posting but I saw what you wrote and knew that I had to say something. You are smart and insightful - I can tell from your posts. Trust yourself and know that you will be fine at work without these pills...And on the off chance that they find some fault with you - then that’s their loss! It is safe to say that you’ve inspired members of this community to get off and stay off - you’ve made a difference in my life at least. Please keep us updated. It’s not too late to get off again. We are here for you. You are awesome. 

Wow. Thanks so much for your comment- that makes me feel really awesome that I can inspire you and hopefully others on their own journeys. I appreciate your kind words, they mean a lot to me.

I have been clean for about a week now and plan to stay that way. First shift tomorrow. I am excited but nervous as hell!