QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Coping experiences

Jordan W.

Hello. I was wondering if anybody has grappled with long term effects of adderall or vyvanse usage after quitting. I’m a Junior in college and I had been taking Vyvanse since my Junior year in high school. I’ve always been shy but when I was on it I was driven, passionate and was always working on some big project that I typically saw through. The only reason I really quit was because I was getting annoyed with the crash that came after 10 hours of power.

About 10 months ago I quit cold turkey, and now I’m addicted to 5 Hour Energies just to get through work and school, I’ve gained 25 pounds easily, I always exhausted to the point of sleeping during the day, and I’m always so afraid of people I don’t know and some that I do for reasons I can't quite figure out.

I’m at a convention for work and in the middle of a crisis right now thinking if I had that pill and went back to how I was, I could handle everything with no problem whatsoever. I’m supposed to be a journalist; I can’t afford to be this afraid of people.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any expierience along these lines so long after quitting, or if it’s all in my head and I just need to suck it up. Thank you in advance.

I think it is all in your head and you just need to suck it up. Don't throw away ten months of recovery because it might? help you get through a crisis. Is the hard crash after tweaking for ten hours your ONLY reason for quitting? I suspect not. You have been lucky enough to quit before adderall caused its own crisis.

I am also ten months into the quit. I drink a lot of coffee and I too like red bull and 5 hour energy. I have gained fifteen pounds. Sometimes I take a short nap. I still miss taking it, especially on the weekends,and I think about it every fucking day. But I don't miss the addiction and relapse is not an option.

Regarding your peoplephobia issue, I suggest you see a counsler and get it worked out. If you are living in a University community, there should be plenty of good counselor/shrink resources to utilize while you are a student there. Nothing wrong with getting a little help from a professional once and a while and it is much better that taking pills to try and solve personal problems. Good luck and welcome to quittingadderall.

• Like 2

Hey Jordan W.

I thought I was the only one who had that problem. After I quit adderall, I started to become afraid of people, too! It's gotten better. I'm not sure what happened, really. I think adderall was giving me a false confidence to talk to people or something. When I quit, I guess I realized I'm a little more introverted than I was.

I've gotten much better, but it's really, really strange...it's definitely not a reason to start taking it again. I can see why you'd be nervous at a convention. Usually, I get a little nervous starting a conversation, but once I get into it, I'm okay. Like quit-once said, I would just suck it up and you should be fine when you get back. Certainly, do not throw away 10 months. It took you a long time to get that clean time - don't toss it out the window. 10 months is a long time.

• Like 1

Quit-once = I didn't really think quitting through when I did it. I was annoyed with crashing at the end of the day when the pills wore off and having no energy to do anything on weekends to enjoy myself just to conserve pills. That on top of the cost of each prescription fill and it just seemed like a no brainer at the time; veg out for a week during the summer when nothing's going on and have a consistent level of strength like everyone else as opposed to being Superman for 10 hours and a zombie for the rest of the day.

I didn't think that things would be this different. I guess I wasn't mentally prepared to quit when I did.

InRecovery = Like I said, I was always shy, even when I was on vyvanse and and adderall before that but those were holdovers from my high school years. I've always been more of an introvert but I had to step up my social life and skills ever since taking journalism classes, something that seems easier with the energy and alertness that came with the pill. Although I have also noticed that ever since I've quit, I've matured a bit more and have been thinking things through more. In other words, I've mellowed out.

Thank you both very much for replying. I wrote this after nearly missing a meeting after unexpectedly crashing out for 2 hours in my hotel room. I was having a bit of a crisis of faith and began looking for ways to justify a prescription to get back on it when I stumbled across this site and red up on some of the articles about relapse.

I very much appreciate the time and consideration that you put forth in actually writing and I'm going to find other ways of coping with the change that I clearly didn't prep myself for properly. I was getting a little emotional so I appreciate you all putting up with my melodrama.

I kept one pill after finishing my last filled prescription as an emergency back up just in case of a string of hard finals or a review for my college newspaper that required an all-nighter. When I get home, I'm going to flush it right away. I'd rather not have the temptation lying around right now. Thanks again

• Like 1