QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Face Blindness

Sixty Minutes recently aired a segment (March 18) on people who are afflicted with a condition known as prosopagnosia or "face blindness" Those affected by this disorder have trouble recognizing and remembering people's faces. Like color blindness, face blindness has differing degrees of severity that can range from a minor annoyance to a significant disability (i.e.being unable to see the colors in a trafic signal light). About two percent of the population is afflicted with prosopagnosia. It can be caused by a brain injury or an illness (like a stroke) which has damaged the face recognition area in the brain. Or it can be congenital and very highly heritable. I am moderately affected by face blindness and I was born with it. It is embarrassing to disclose because one's inability to recognize familiar faces is commonly associated with disorders like dementia, amnesia, and Alzheimers Disease.

It came from my mother's side of the family. Whenever we were eating in a restaurant, Mom could never remember who our server was so she would ask me but I was clueless too. My brother once came to visit (unannounced) while I was working in the yard and I thought he was a salesman so I told him to just go and ring the doorbell. We later got a good laugh out of it and we learned that he too is affected by face blindness. Whenever I go with somebody to a large gathering, I have to remember their clothing, hair style, or hat color so I can find them later in case we get separated. Movies are hard to follow especially if they have several scenes and similar-looking people. Sports are not that entertaining whin the players all look alike wearing their team uniforms. If Face Book is an aptly-named website, then I will never have a reason to go there. I was once scolded by a school teacher for being racist because I told her they all looked alike to me. I was often told to pay more attention to the people whom I met and to simply try harder to remember what they looked like. Before I learned that face blindness was a brain disorder, I thought it was a personality shortcoming and that I didn't see people as important enough to remember who they were.

So how does one afflicted with prosopagnosia get along in a world full of people and faces? Sometimes I fake it and sometimes I don't get away with it. I smile and say hello to everybody who looks at me like I should know them. I have had many (short) conversations with people encountered out of context, leaving the conversation without a clue as to who they were. If the topic doesn't get too far away from the weather, I can bullshit my way through it. It can bug me for weeks or months afterword, and sometimes I eventually connect the name to the face but I am never 100% sure. If I see somebody where I am expecting to see them (in context), I might eventually learn their name and face as long as they are where I am expecting to find them. But what if I encounter them elsewhere? I simply avoid eye contact with strangers as much as possible, and if they do greet me by name and I don't know them, it rapidly becomes an uncomfortable encounter no matter how brief. I use things like hair styles, eyeglasses, beards and body weight to recognize people. Sometimes I can recognize them by their voice or clothing, the way they walk, or how tall they are, but not their facial features. If I hear or read someone's first and last name I will usually remember that name but it doesn't do me much good if I can't connect a face to the name.

Sometimes people believe they were not remembered as a person when somebody fails to recognize their face, causing them to feel offended. I have no idea how many opportunities or relationships this condition has cost me. I consider it to be a social disability for which there is no cure or treatment. Please wear your name tags at work, conventions, reunions and other gatherings because it may be the only way I know who you are or learn your name. The next time you feel like you have been "snubbed" because an acquaintance "couldn't give you the time of day" please consider that you may simply be unrecognized by somebody whose camera lacks a memory card when it comes to remembering faces.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old post, but thanks for sharing it's fascinating. I myself am color blind. Growing up my mom and dad thought I was full of crap, but they soon realized I was color blind. People ask me what's it like? I respond with I'm fine I don't know what it's like to not be this way. My wife says I'm missing out. I just flip it and say to her she is missing out. Really it doesn't bother me.

• 2 months later...

It has been a year since I created this post. Adderall agrevated my condition of face blindness but my ability to recognize faces did somewhat improve after I quit. It is something I have always struggled with. Everything I have read in the medical literature says it is something one must simply learn to live with and there really is no known treatment for the condition.

I have been taking the lions mane mushroom supplement for about three weeks now. Recently, I have started to better recognize the faces of people i have met and interact with! I noticed it in Wal Mart last weekend. And just today, somebody addressed me by name (in passing) and I remembered who they were - not instantly, but shortly after I said hello. I am so lucky to have heard about this supplement from this web site - it really is a game changer for me and my social interactions that rely on recognizing those people who I have met and should know who they are.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Quit-once,

Once-quit,

Also, in case you were not aware of Heather Sellers, a gifted young writer, she has a book called "You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know: A True Story of Family, Face Blindness, and Forgiveness".  You can find it on Amazon.com.

I haven't read the book yet, but I'll probably get around to it because I like her short stories, one of which was recently published in The Sun Magazine, my favorite literature publication.  They have a website if you are interested in checking them out:

thesunmagazine.org 

I wonder if lion’s mane mushroom supplement is still working for you as of this post. I'm happy for you that it showed promise. I saw the piece on 60 minutes too....a truly difficult cross to bare.

Lions Mane Mushroom is a supplement I am still taking.  I took it today.  I took it yesterday and, after reading your post, It made me realize that names and faces had been clicking all day long for me.  I don't take it every day but I sure notice a difference on the days when I do take Linos Mane.  The other supplement I really like is L-tyrosine,  I still take it almost daily for a better mood.  Vitamin D keeps your appetite controlled.  B12 under the tongue is good for an energy buzz.  Vitamin C helps you sleep better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up to your post is responce to mt querry, Quit-once. Sometimes it takes leaving no stone unturned to notice repiles. I don't think I got a notification. Thank you for sharing about the supplements that help you. I'm especially happy to hear that Lions Mane Mushroom supplement works for you face recognition.

The Lions Mane is amazing. I just picked up another two bottles of it at Whole Foods yesterday. In addition to helping me with facial recognition, it has improved my memory and general cognitive well-being. The difference is subtle, but noticible. It may not work this well for everybody but it sure works for me.

• Like 1