QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Quitting - couple questions - need opinions

]Hey guys, I am 21 year old female and a junior in college. I was prescribed adderall 10 mg xr in highschool which really helped my grades. However, I hated how it made me feel (less sociable, not hungry, took the fun out of being around my friends, etc). So, I stopped taking it towards the middle of senior year. At this point, I noticed my anxiety really taking a toll on my life so I also was put on zoloft 50 mg. After being on zoloft and off adderall, i felt great - completely anxiety free. So then sophomore year of college, i started taking adderall again kind of on an as needed basis (i still had my prescription, i just filled it way later than I actually got it). since i am now able to take it without the anxiety effects, i slowly started taking it more and more. At this point, a junior in college, i can see adderall becoming a bigger and bigger part of my life - and i don't want that. I hate having to worry about "am i taking too much? i'm going to run out of my script too early...who can i buy some from? am i addicted? blah blah". right now I take 30 mg twice a day on average (but i'm, only prescribed 20 mg xr once daily). also - 5'2, 105 lb.

I'm sure all of you have heard similar stories and have dealt with cases very similar to mine. Clearly I need to stop taking it. About a month ago (spring break), I went 9 days with out it and felt completely fine, other than a little over-sleeping. I have 4 more weeks of school left. Finals will be in two weeks. My question is: should I try to cut back NOW? or, completely stop after done with this year - and not take it at all this summer? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just stop. There will never be as good of a time as now. And if you finish the semester strong on Adderall, you will always go back to it. That is the relient part. You could go your entire life without it if you never had to be clutch. But you do have to be clutch; you have to be clutch without it or you will never move on. I am in the same boat as you. You can do it! Even if you get rocked during finals week, if you didn't take Adderall for any of it that's a big accomplishment! I had to take two classes in eight weeks last summer. I aced Microbiology on Adderall the first month and got a B in a Biology course the next month. I was way more proud of my B without Adderall!