QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Sleep PAWS?

JennyF

Hi everyone, I’m just wondering if any of you still experience sleep disturbance after the first year. I’m at 15 months and I still have nights that I wake up constantly through the night. I’m up for a few mins or even seconds and then I go back to sleep but this happens several times during the night. I call it sleep PAWS lol. 

Would appreciate any insight on this! 

I used to take ambien to get to sleep after a day on adderall. That lasted for almost 10 years which is probably another huge aspect of my recovery. When I quit adderall, I quit the ambien and the booze. These days I take all sorts of over the counter stuff like advil PM, benedryl, melatonin, valerain root. I havent even tried to sleep without taking something. But even with some of this, when I do have a PAWS episode, your right, my sleeps really suck. I got a sleep app on my iphone which tracks my sleep called Sleep Score. Its kind of cool. Not perfect, but its free and it give me a great idea how I am doing with REM, Deep sleep, light sleep, how long I slept, and how many times I woke up. If anybody has any more advise, I am all ears. 

• Like 1

"sleep PAWS" - i like it! :lol:

it's certainly possible this could still be related to stimulant recovery.. but i'm not satisfied with that result because it means there's not much you can do about it.  to be honest though, it's probably more likely something related to sleep hygiene.

sleep hygiene is one of those things that most people recognize but don't understand well. it's affected by so many different things we do and its hard to say what specific aspects of our behavior matter the most. the timing of our meals, if/when we drink coffee, too much phone before bed (blue-light), our activity levels, etc. etc.

i like @speedracer's suggestion of the sleep tracking app - might give that a try myself!

i would also suggest watching some of Matt Walker's TED talks - he's a leading sleep scientist and talks about a lot this stuff in his videos. 

https://www.ted.com/speakers/matthew_walker

• Like 1